Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most dominated by the redneck/hillbily/hick culture?
Tallahassee, FL 9 3.33%
Jacksonville, FL 18 6.67%
Little Rock, AR 40 14.81%
Jackson, MS 21 7.78%
Biloxi, MS 6 2.22%
Augusta, GA 4 1.48%
Athens, GA 6 2.22%
Montgomery, AL 7 2.59%
Birmingham, AL 16 5.93%
Huntsville, AL 7 2.59%
Chatanooga, TN 11 4.07%
Greenville, SC 12 4.44%
Columbia, SC 8 2.96%
Charleston, SC 3 1.11%
Fayetteville, NC 5 1.85%
Amarillo, TX 19 7.04%
Lexington, KY 9 3.33%
Oklahoma City, OK 15 5.56%
Charleston, WV 35 12.96%
Cookeville, TN 19 7.04%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:39 AM

763 posts, read 1,298,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Um, many of these towns shouldn't even be on the list.

What CITY is most dominated by the redneck/hillbilly/hick culture?

There are more than two towns on this list that have an African American majority population. Some of these towns (I think) even have African American mayors. Jackson, Miss is 70% black for example. The county Jackson sits in is 67% black. Calling Jackson redneck/hillbilly/hick is almost as laughable as calling Detroit redneck.

Some people really need to give up their personal bias and stigmas against certain areas.

FWIW, Charleston, West Virginia has a high population of interracial couples. EXTREMELY high. This is certainly NOT a redneck trait.
Yes, this is very true. Fortunately, it seems to be only a small minority that are that ignorant

Old 06-26-2009, 11:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What city is most dominated by the redneck/hillbilly/hick culture?
Rednecks, hillbillies, and hicks are three different things.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:31 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree. Little Rock is definitely the most redneck "urban" area, though I wouldn't even consider it urban. Around here, if you are not married by age 23 you stick out like a sore thumb, most guys (even the young ones) sport camo hats, the common topic every monday morning is "the race", and restaurants are referred to as "eatin' places". Upon first visit, Little Rock doesn't seem as bad as its absolutely horrible reputation because there are some quaint, charming historic neighborhoods, but once you dig a little deeper it becomes clear why its regarded as one of the most boring places in the USA to live and is mostly deserving of that reputation.

OKC comes pretty close however. How redneck do you have to be to put a regular big-box style Bass Pro Shop in the middle of your downtown? If they wanted it, at least make it blend with the surroundings! OKC has made great strides in recent years, but that Bass Pro Shop completely ruins the feel of downtown. In addition, pretty much all the "cultural" events around there are either centered around cowboy culture of Native American culture.
Your posts make Little Rock seem like heaven on earth.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Princess View Post
Thank you very much......Not all Southerns are Hillbillies. I would put educated southerns english skills up against Yankees and there is no contest over who has the best manners...............Bless your yankee hearts, you just don't seem to know any better.
You can keep your "manners" where you're sweet to each other's faces and catty behind each other's backs. As for me, I like the directness of knowing where I stand with people and not being required by "social custom" to suffer fools gladly. It saves us the inanity of a superficial pretend- "manners" song-and-dance you lot play. "Bless your hearts" of course.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:31 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You can keep your "manners" where you're sweet to each other's faces and catty behind each other's backs. As for me, I like the directness of knowing where I stand with people and not being required by "social custom" to suffer fools gladly. It saves us the inanity of a superficial pretend- "manners" song-and-dance you lot play. "Bless your hearts" of course.
So you assume that people that exhibit good manners to you are always catty behind your back? I feel sorry for you.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:40 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Rednecks, hillbillies, and hicks are three different things.
Yeah, three different derogatory, insulting and racist terms, which somehow seem to be much more socially acceptable now than any other racial slur. Why is that?

Old 06-26-2009, 03:31 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Yeah, three different derogatory, insulting and racist terms, which somehow seem to be much more socially acceptable now than any other racial slur. Why is that?
I think they sound funny. They make for good punchlines. I also like hayseed, bumpkin, cracker and peckerwood to punctuate a joke. There's not really any invective in the words. There's no intensity in their usage. There's no hate behind the meaning. They're just silly, harmless insults no worse than nincompoop or dolt.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:10 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Now I've heard "Redneck Hillbilly" and "Hillbilly Redneck" all the time around Shreveport, to drive home a point (usually political opinions; you know like "that's so redneck"). The things I note the most about em':

-Don't care too much about anything except fishin' holes and huntin' leases

-Cynnical beyond belief especially among the younger ones

-Messy and don't seem to care much if things look neat or not-just makin' money

-The HR women tend to be more open minded than the men

-Morality is not a strong point (the staunch fundementalist beliefs may be embraced to a degree, but beer drinkin' is the norm)

-They tend to be somewhat racist, not always openly.

The statement made by Bchris about LittleRockers rednecks getting married young would be wishful thinking around here. Some do, but most I know just shack up.

This isn't making fun but rather just what I've observed over the years. Good or bad, love or hate it, it is what it is. Changing people don't come easy and it is nearly impossible for the most part. Learn to accept

Old 06-26-2009, 04:26 PM

330 posts, read 681,923 times
Anywhere in Northern Florida. They don't call the northwest coast the "Redneck Riviera" for nothing.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
So you assume that people that exhibit good manners to you are always catty behind your back? I feel sorry for you.
Since I didn't actually say that, you have no need to feel sorry for me. But thanks just the same for a lovely display of those legendary Southern "manners."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City