Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs Bos
Philadelphia 288 52.17%
Boston 264 47.83%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 06:28 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
Philly is a beautiful city with a beautiful unique culture and alot of potential. But as a minority who loves being around his own, I cant picture raising my family in a place like North Philly or West. Black/Latino neighborhoods in Boston are easily much safer.
I grew up on the Main Line(west of Phila). I'm black. There have been minority communities in the Phila. suburbs for over a century. And there are okay neighborhoods in W. Phila that have been majority black( if that's what you want) for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 06:30 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
And pro sports teams-- had to open that can of worms.
Yeah, let's don't !

Old 07-13-2019, 06:36 PM

3,139 posts, read 1,595,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Doesn't the Philadelphia area have more fortune 500s than the Boston area though, not to mention some huge private giants like Vanguard and Wawa.

Unless we are talking city limits, then yes, its Comcast, but the Philadelphia metro punches right where it should for a major metropolitan area, very similar to Boston. I don't think 1 is clearly above the other...
Actually two in Philadelphia -- Comcast and Aramark; 15 in Philadelphia Metro.

https://www.phillymag.com/business/2...-500-companies

List of Fortune 1000 by metropolitan areas: Philadelphia 26; Boston 23

Metropolitan Areas & Fortune 1000 Companies

Old 07-13-2019, 07:11 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Although educational attainment is not referenced as listed criteria in the OP's post, I question education attainment as a meaningful measure or proxy for city prosperity. With the student loan burden and the educational premium relative to earnings, it seems to me that there needs to be a better way to measure how the majority of citizens are doing economically and no I don't think per capita income captures it either. In other words what is the population distribution of actual economic prosperity regardless of educational attainment. How does having high educational attainment make a city a more desirable place?Slightly off topic so I'll end here.
I completely agree with you, actually. Unfortunately, Western society has indoctrinated us into thinking that both wealth and education are the be-all and end-all for prosperity and happiness. Of course, money and education are correlated with good health outcomes and general quality-of-life, but neither guarantees happiness or personal fulfillment. That's far more nuanced.

Just so I don't get too philosophical, I think MarketStEl was right on the money by explaining that while Boston does somewhat better, especially comparing cities proper, on the upper-echelons of wealth (i.e., a seemingly larger population of the top 5-10% by US standards). The Philly metro does appear to have a less-stressed, somewhat more robust middle-to-upper-middle class, (say, the 50th to 80th percentile of earners by US standards) by comparison.

I think speaks a lot of volumes as to the the economic accessibility and better balance of the Philly region. It's much more welcoming to young newcomers without legacy wealth (i.e., trust fund baby types) especially.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:24 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Philadelphia certainly has a larger and less stressed pure middle class. IMO middle class QOl is better in the Philadelphia area Both metro and city proper. Boston has more rich people both metro and city wide. Boston and Philadelphia poverty is pretty similar but the QOL poor folks in the Boston area is better.

When i say Boston area i exclude Southern new Hampshire and rather just take all of eastern MA (east of Worcester County) except the capes and Islands.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:38 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Philadelphia certainly has a larger and less stressed pure middle class. IMO middle class QOl is better in the Philadelphia area Both metro and city proper. Boston has more rich people both metro and city wide. Boston and Philadelphia poverty is pretty similar but the QOL poor folks in the Boston area is better.

When i say Boston area i exclude Southern new Hampshire and rather just take all of eastern MA (east of Worcester County) except the capes and Islands.
I actually thought the Philadelphia metro had more high income households than the Boston metro, but on a % basis, Boston is higher.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:04 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I actually thought the Philadelphia metro had more high income households than the Boston metro, but on a % basis, Boston is higher.
Depends where you cut of NYC metro

Old 07-18-2019, 07:49 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Depends where you cut of NYC metro
Does Mercer County, NJ, make that much of a difference?

That's the one county the OMB puts in the New York CSA that arguably still belongs in the Philadelphia CSA.

The other counties in the New York CSA don't have the ties to Philadelphia that would warrant their inclusion in its CSA, not even Lehigh and Northampton.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:56 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,888,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
As you should. I roll my eyes at people getting hung up on the stereotypical foods of each city. I have done 3 cheesesteaks in Philly. Geno's, Pat's, and Molly Malloy's. I'm glad I did them, but they're the least memorable parts of eating out in Philadelphia which has one of the best restaurant scenes in the country in my opinion. Same for Boston which has some of the best seafood in the country. You're not anywhere close to it if you just do chowder at Legal and a lobster roll at the Barking Crab.

When was the last time you were in Philadelphia? I'm asking because while I agree that Boston is definitely more polished right now, Philadelphia is booming too. There's a ton of investment going on there.
It's not Chow-der (like in the rest of America) It's Chow-Da!, or Chow-Dah or let me see.. Chow-Duh, Come on now you got to do it with the Boston Accent...Chow-Dah!

Old 07-19-2019, 07:11 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_9JZ4HR5kQ&t=42s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City