Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 03:14 PM

20 posts, read 110,376 times

Advertisements

I know this is a huge generalization because obviously people are very different no matter where they live. That being said I've noticed that a lot of people dislike people from another state and was wondering why and from which states people are disliked the most. I'm from California and started realizing a few months ago that not all people particularly like Californians, which I found interesting. So which 'states' don't like other 'states'? Again, I know it's a generalization, I'm just curious as to who doesn't like who and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 05:44 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,468 times
People tend not to like New Yorkers, because supposedly we're rude, arrogant, impatient, etc. I don't think that's true, but we're certainly different from other Americans. Different in the way we converse, the way we act, and really just the way we carry ourselves.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:04 PM

606 posts, read 698,741 times
Michigan I guess..depressing state with high unempolyment.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:05 PM

606 posts, read 698,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
People tend not to like New Yorkers, because supposedly we're rude, arrogant, impatient, etc. I don't think that's true, but we're certainly different from other Americans. Different in the way we converse, the way we act, and really just the way we carry ourselves.
Do you think western New York(like Buffalo)and eastern New York are quite different?
New York city may be the most special city in the nation,and,in the world of course.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:32 PM

860 posts, read 1,336,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashleyf View Post
I know this is a huge generalization because obviously people are very different no matter where they live. That being said I've noticed that a lot of people dislike people from another state and was wondering why and from which states people are disliked the most. I'm from California and started realizing a few months ago that not all people particularly like Californians, which I found interesting. So which 'states' don't like other 'states'? Again, I know it's a generalization, I'm just curious as to who doesn't like who and why.
I'm from Jersey and I can tell you that most NJ people don't like any other states. I go by driving ability, personally. No surprise since I commute through the most dense state and even the most dense area! So basically: don't like PA people who aren't driving at least Acura-level cars (tinted windows are a great tip on who's the best). Almost anyone driving a BMW, Mercedes, etc is out. They won't drive their vehicles, too afraid to use the engine. PA people tend to drive more slowly, stop at yellows, and box people in by not yielding to faster traffic. Maryland people don't use signals. New Yorkers... touch and go but I find most in my areas are older people who can't drive. Most NJ people are cool because they're used to the driving atmosphere. Pretty much any other state is annoying to me when I'm driving unless they prove otherwise, but the worst (though thankfully not very often seen) is Georgia. They drive like they talk! Slooooooowwwww..

But as to which states based on personality... NY is the worst! But then I'm in Jersey so it's no surprise we hate each other.

As you can probably tell, I live in my car. :-) No, not literally.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:04 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,834 times
Ive never heard of anyone disliking people from michigan...they might not want to move there.....but generally, as you have probably started to notice by doing a little research -- Californians and New Yorkers face the most prejudice once they move to another area.

Outside of that, things get more regional (ie - wisconsin people dont like people from illinois)

of course these are generalizations. what is scary, that enough of these generalizations exist....there are people out there, as evidenced above..that WILL judge you based on what is on your license plates.

Typically, the people from California and NY are disliked because they are blamed for raising property values so much people are priced out of their native areas. But I think that is just an excuse....

When I point blank ask people in wisconsin why that literally "hate" illinois people....its usually something about driving or some other broad based assumption....but really something they were probably taught to think by friends or parents and its not based in reality.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:06 PM

653 posts, read 3,407,829 times
Here in Nevada--it's the Californians that are disliked the most. I don't mind them at all, except they are HORRIBLE drivers!!

Old 04-07-2007, 11:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Texans are disliked and ridiculed here in Colorado. And some Coloradans make fun of the Wyomingites, Nebraskans, and Oklahomans, in addition to Californians and most all easterners. I am an easterner by birth, don't adhere to any of this crap.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-07-2007 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 04-07-2007, 11:40 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,135 times
Wolverines don't like Buckeyes, and Buckeyes don't like Wolverines. Haven't heard too much bad about dem Hoosiers, except where Illini are concerned. (and they don't much like Hawkeyes either, and vice versa)

Otherwise, Midwesterners basically put up with each other.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:40 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
If you would've asked me a year ago or so, I would've said New Yorkers were generally the most disliked in this country due to stereotypes about their attitudes. However, since joining this forum, I'd have to say without a doubt that it is Californians. I never knew how much animosity there was from others in this country towards Californians until I joined this board.

I think that gentle ribbing about a state is okay, but to actively dislike a group of people just based on the state they come from is just weird to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City