Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:14 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times

Advertisements

I'd say the cities who's mayors I know without question:

New York
New Orleans
Chicago
San Francisco

LA I can recognize the mayors name, but I don't know anything about him...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:14 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,232 times
Albuquerque Mayor Martin Chavez.
I dont know we he is not involved in..

3 terms, going on four.

Big plus on the second term for cleaning up Albuquerque.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Albuquerque Mayor Martin Chavez.
I dont know we he is not involved in..

3 terms, going on four.

Big plus on the second term for cleaning up Albuquerque.
Yeah, mhmm.

Nope.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:45 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,296,053 times
NY, LA, Chi, Phil, SF, Bos have mayors of national reknown. Another guy who I consider a "rising star" of note is Cory Booker, mayor of Newark.

Popular among urban studies students, sociology buffs and documentary movie buffs is Newark mayor Cory Booker. He was involved in a very heated/twisted race against a long-standing albeit blatantly corrupt incumbent Sharpe James. The 2005 film "Street Fight" showed how these candidates fought a tough campaign on some very tough streets.

I wouldn't list Booker among America's most well-known or notorious yet, but I feel (and hope) he's a rising star on to big things in Newark and hopefully beyond. He's a young guy with fresh ideas, new outlooks on urban problems and race. He made the circuit on a lot of news shows before and after Obama's election.

cory booker - Google Video

Old 05-21-2009, 09:58 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
His name alone qualifies him.
wow, he can't be well known cuz he's black? way to give texas a good name

anyways, bloomberg is head and shoulders above the rest among current mayors (and his predecessor Guliani is also up there). I'd give #2 to daley and rank villagarosa with luke ravenstahl and nagin.. as former mayors, marion berry and kwame kilpatrick are both well known, even if it's infamous.

Nutter is a decent mayor and Philadelphia's first post racist mayor (we've had racist mayors including john street but I'm not sure hwo well known he is on the national level.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:17 AM

8,605 posts, read 10,136,635 times
Neil Giuliano, ex-mayor of Tempe, AZ

He was the former four-term mayor (1994-2004) of Tempe, AZ and served as President of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) from September 2005 through January 2009.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:48 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
NY, LA, Chi, Phil, SF, Bos have mayors of national reknown. Another guy who I consider a "rising star" of note is Cory Booker, mayor of Newark.

Popular among urban studies students, sociology buffs and documentary movie buffs is Newark mayor Cory Booker. He was involved in a very heated/twisted race against a long-standing albeit blatantly corrupt incumbent Sharpe James. The 2005 film "Street Fight" showed how these candidates fought a tough campaign on some very tough streets.

I wouldn't list Booker among America's most well-known or notorious yet, but I feel (and hope) he's a rising star on to big things in Newark and hopefully beyond. He's a young guy with fresh ideas, new outlooks on urban problems and race. He made the circuit on a lot of news shows before and after Obama's election.

cory booker - Google Video
Agreed................ If you don't know who he is now, you will!

Old 05-21-2009, 04:04 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,288 times
Tom Menino has been the mayor of Boston for 16 years and is currently running in his most challenging campaign to date. 57% of Bostonians have personally met him but I'm not sure how known he is outside the commonwealth.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:44 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Yeah, mhmm.

Nope.
Well at one point he was the only hispanic mayor of Amnericas top 50 cities. He was also nominated world mayor in 2008. Is one of the strongest mayors standing for the "green" initiative.

Chávez is vice president of the National Conference of Democratic Mayors.

Under the leadership of Chávez, Albuquerque is now the 6th fastest growing large city in America with some of the most positive urban growth than any other of the top 50 large cities in America. Albuquerque has enjoyed a 17 per cent reduction in crime, a 33 per cent reduction in water use, and a job creation rate that is the envy of the rest of the state and most of the nation. The city has also begun enjoying national prominence in a number of studies and reports for factors ranging from business climate to cultural amenities.

Get to know your mayors.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
wow, he can't be well known cuz he's black? way to give texas a good name

anyways, bloomberg is head and shoulders above the rest among current mayors (and his predecessor Guliani is also up there). I'd give #2 to daley and rank villagarosa with luke ravenstahl and nagin.. as former mayors, marion berry and kwame kilpatrick are both well known, even if it's infamous.

Nutter is a decent mayor and Philadelphia's first post racist mayor (we've had racist mayors including john street but I'm not sure hwo well known he is on the national level.
You missed the whole point of that statement....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City