Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 01:09 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,799 times

Advertisements

St. Louis is definitely multi-nodal. Downtown, Midtown/Grand Center, Central West End, Clayton. The region is very defused, probably at the detriment of downtown. No doubt, Downtown would be much larger without these other downtown like districts. Also, I think it prevents St. Louis from having taller buildings downtown because you basically just have a swath of mid-rise buildings stretching for like 8 miles. St. Louis metro area would have to add another million or so people to really start filling in good.

Last edited by goat314; 01-14-2018 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 01:27 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I need a "has everything" core, even if other cores exist.

The greater Downtown Seattle area dominates certain industries locally including the big construction/architecture firms (my world), so I can live there and even if I switched jobs the new one would be walkable in 5-30 minutes. Just about any kind of shopping is walkable. A train to the airport is walkable. Hospitals too. Several supermarkets, the Pike Place Market, dozens of smaller grocery stores, and hundreds of restauarants and bars provide a lot of options. I love being around tourists. It's no urban heaven yet but every year gets it noticeably closer.

Meanwhile a lot of satellite districts are also pretty good. The University District, Downtown Bellevue, and Downtown Tacoma are three very oppostive types of secondary downtowns. Kirkland, Everett, Ballard, West Seattle, Redmond, and 20-30 other places have good third and fourth tier downtowns, some with recent 1000-unit+ increases in residential supply.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:03 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
I’m not sure that I understand what the OP means by centralized. I assumed he meant cities where the CBD is the only real destination for arts, culture, shopping and nightlife, but neither Boston nor Chicago is a good example of that. There any number of cities that are nearly 100% residential (with a smattering of big-box it strip malls) outside of downtown, but Boston and Chicago certainly aren’t among them.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:01 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I’m not sure that I understand what the OP means by centralized. I assumed he meant cities where the CBD is the only real destination for arts, culture, shopping and nightlife, but neither Boston nor Chicago is a good example of that. There any number of cities that are nearly 100% residential (with a smattering of big-box it strip malls) outside of downtown, but Boston and Chicago certainly aren’t among them.
I think only mid sized cities can truly be completely centralized, Sacramento is probably the biggest example.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:27 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It’s like comparing Charlotte to Miami (Brickell, South Beach, Wynwood etc.), Pittsburgh to Indianapolis, or Raleigh to Birmingham (Five Points, Lakeview, Avondale, etc.)

Old 01-16-2018, 10:06 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
It’s like comparing Charlotte to Miami (Brickell, South Beach, Wynwood etc.), Pittsburgh to Indianapolis, or Raleigh to Birmingham (Five Points, Lakeview, Avondale, etc.)
?? Not familiar with Charlotte, Indy, Raleigh or Birmingham so this confused me more.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:28 AM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think only mid sized cities can truly be completely centralized, Sacramento is probably the biggest example.
Even in that regard, I think mid sized or even small(er) “legacy” cities have multiple nodes as well.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:30 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Are you using Pittsburgh as an example of a centralized city? Because it really isn't, except if you want to consider office jobs. Most of the major tourist destinations and walkable business districts are outside of the confines of Downtown. I have limited experience with Indy, but it's way more decentralized in terms of its urban nodes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City