Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:58 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,373,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie28 View Post
4. In the world, really? Most rankings will place London and Hong Kong above NYC. Did you mean to say "in the US" ?

Can't speak for Hong Kong since I've never been, but I think The NYC subway is better than the Tube in London, Paris Metro on the other hand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 09:08 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,065,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Everything KONY said is true. How would you guys know if you aren't from here?
See rachael, how that list exposed all these new york haters. The name of the thread is "10 reasons YOU LOVE YOUR CITY" emphasis on YOU . New yorks greatness makes people mad and thats entertaining to me. Everybody makes there list and as soon as i make one for new york, hell spills over.

ChiPa is just mad because my list indirectly put chicago and his list, in its place. So now hes hating. If you can gloat so can i buddy.

For all the others, they're just mad because wherever they live sux and they are secretly jealous of the city.

1. I have never heard of AC milan. Which proves my point. You got people in london and italy wearing yankee hats. Thats baseball, a sport they dont even watch like that.

2. Never seen a list with either london or hong kong above new york. It flucuates when they do the financial list and stuff. But as far as what is the overall great, na. New york city is greater than any other city on the planet. London even follows culture from here. To say that London is greater than NEW YORK CITY is laughable. It is a great city but new york has just too much going on in the five B's for any city to actually be greater than it.

Put it this way. Manhattan by itself is better than any city. If you were to add on the greatness of the other boroughs, theres no contest.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:14 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,677,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
See rachael, how that list exposed all these new york haters. The name of the thread is "10 reasons YOU LOVE YOUR CITY" emphasis on YOU . New yorks greatness makes people mad and thats entertaining to me. Everybody makes there list and as soon as i make one for new york, hell spills over.

ChiPa is just mad because my list indirectly put chicago and his list, in its place. So now hes hating. If you can gloat so can i buddy.

For all the others, they're just mad because wherever they live sux and they are secretly jealous of the city.

1. I have never heard of AC milan. Which proves my point. You got people in london and italy wearing yankee hats. Thats baseball, a sport they dont even watch like that.

2. Never seen a list with either london or hong kong above new york. It flucuates when they do the financial list and stuff. But as far as what is the overall great, na. New york city is greater than any other city on the planet. London even follows culture from here. To say that London is greater than NEW YORK CITY is laughable. It is a great city but new york has just too much going on in the five B's for any city to actually be greater than it.

Put it this way. Manhattan by itself is better than any city. If you were to add on the greatness of the other boroughs, theres no contest.

Nobody is being "exposed". The reason people are giving you sh*t becuase you come off as pompous while putting down other people. Other people's lists don't do that. You also make many unfounded statements in your list. You did more than give reasons as to why you love you city. You put down other people also.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:15 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,458,941 times
Quote:
i'm gonna have to agree with this statment. its like 4 unique big cities in one.

yeah, i said 4

Old 05-20-2009, 09:16 AM

269 posts, read 466,666 times
Quote:

I am definitely not a "New York hater," but your list was inaccurate.

1. I don't even know how to respond to this. If you have never heard of AC Milan, well..that's incredible.. The Yankees are not the "biggest" (what does that even mean) sports team in the world. Do you have people in China, India, Europe, etc watching Yankees games? No.

2. I was referring to your claim that NYC has the best public transporation in the WORLD. Definitely debatable, and I can find many lists that place London and Hong Kong above it.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:23 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,458,941 times
alright, back to topic. i'll plug philly & miami

1. dark
2. dirty
3. gritty
4. diverse
5. great neighborhoods (i.e. northern liberties, headhouse, old city)
6. easy access to nj, shore, nyc, b'more, dc
7. pretzels (don't eat cheese steaks)
8. good nitelife (bars and clubs could stay open later imo)
9. god mix of historic buildings w/ modern scrapers
10. jam on the river (killer festival every memorial weekend........except this one!)

miami

1. sun
2. beach
3. great skyline (up and down the coastline as well as miami proper from biscayne bay)
4. latin culture
5. caribbean culture
6. mojitos
7. da ladies
8. a unique city in florida
9. winter music conference (the best dj electronic music fest in america)
10. 2 hrs by plane, so i can head down there every year.

Last edited by john_starks; 05-20-2009 at 09:43 AM..

Old 05-20-2009, 09:27 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,065,692 times
Ya but people in china, india, and wherever else atleast knows about the yankees. The only thing even hindering the yankees is the fact that soccer is a bigger sport overseas. The most famous sports logo would have to be the classic "NY" yankee logo. The average cat on the streets knows nothing about the existance of ac milan

Old 05-20-2009, 09:36 AM

269 posts, read 466,666 times
Quote:
Ya but people in china, india, and wherever else atleast knows about the yankees. The only thing even hindering the yankees is the fact that soccer is a bigger sport overseas. The most famous sports logo would have to be the classic "NY" yankee logo. The average cat on the streets knows nothing about the existance of ac milan
Of course they know the Yankees and the logo. But does that make it the "biggest sport team" in the world? Wouldn't you think the biggest would be the most profitable/most watched? The average "cat" on the street in NYC maybe won't know AC Milan (although I doubt that), but the average cat in the rest of the world couldn't care less about watching the Yankees play.

I love NYC and think it is the greatest city in the country, but your list was terribly 'Merica-centric.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:50 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,391,282 times
Quote:
New York City

4. Best mass transit in the world 24/7

5. The yankees biggest sports team in the world. Reminding new yorkers that we have alot of "oftheworlds" here

6. Statue of liberty a one of a kind monument. Look like some greek and roman ish. Just a true true symbol of power
Paris, London, and Tokyo could easily make a case for having better mass-transit systems.

I'm not going to get into the Yankees thing.

The Statue of Liberty is not a one-of-a-kind monument. It's a three-of-a-kind monument. The French gave one to the United States, gave one to Japan (located in Tokyo), and kept one for themselves (located in Paris).

Other than that, I agree with your whole list.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times
Soccer is the top sport in the rest of the world. The majority of people in this country, unless their kids play youth soccer, would not have heard of AC Milan, or even someone like Pele.

What the US considers major sports and sports stars would probably draw yawns from sports fans in other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City