Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Well living closer to where one works is a good thing. It's a luxury though because usually business centers are either surrounded by expensive neighborhoods or dangerous ones.

I don't know living near a strip mall is nice but I'll bet those walking wish they were in a car during the summer. I remember when I was 20 walking a mile and a half to work during a 100 degree heat wave. That summer sucked. But what can you do? I eventually stopped shopping so much and started saving and eventually got a car.
There are plenty of walkable cities in humid places; some even more hotter than Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 02:29 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Odd that Seattle is ranked #2. Seattle has a large and heavily used bus system, not a lot of room for roads, and is generally a green city. As someone mentioned, probably has more to do with higher incomes.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOMME View Post
.......wait, I thought nobody in New York City drives?

They have as much cars on the road as car/sprawl capital Los Angeles!
I would wager that a fair percentage of cars counted in New York are taxicabs and buses. There are MANY native New Yorkers who have never driven a car, much less own one.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:19 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I would wager that a fair percentage of cars counted in New York are taxicabs and buses. There are MANY native New Yorkers who have never driven a car, much less own one.
Well I'm thinking that 10,000,000 number is for the entire metropolitan area not just NYC proper. Outside of the city people I'm sure still need their cars just like with any suburb.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:23 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Odd that Seattle is ranked #2. Seattle has a large and heavily used bus system, not a lot of room for roads, and is generally a green city. As someone mentioned, probably has more to do with higher incomes.
Well in the city. When I was Seattle I used the bus and was just fine but that's in the city. Also I drove a rental car for part of the trip. Parking sucked but other than that having a car wasn't a hassle. Also higher incomes probably have something to do with it too. Seattle is one of the most educated cities in the country so with that education comes better jobs that afford one the ability to buy a car. I imagine just like I mentioned for New York that outside the city proper people drive their cars just like any other suburb.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:37 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
It really surprises me where Houston is at.

If they have such few cars there then why is the traffic so bad?

Can someone out there from Houston explain?

They also really lack public transportation, so I don't know why fewer people would have cars. It's a very auto-centric city.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:50 AM

572 posts, read 1,995,245 times
I think traffic is worse in some cities because they don't have large secondary roads. I can't speak for Houston but secondary roads in Atlanta & Seattle are much smaller than they are in older cities such as Chicago or St. Louis. Older cities had very established cores before the invention of the interstate highway.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:16 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
They also really lack public transportation, so I don't know why fewer people would have cars. It's a very auto-centric city.
*Sigh*

Houston does not lack public transportation. Houston lacks extensive rail. There is a big difference. There is a huge difference. There is a monumental difference. Houston's bus system (METRO) runs extensively through the inner loop, the north side and the west side of town. In the 'burbs, the bus system is lacking, and via bus you can only really get from a specific 'burb into downtown. It sucks in the 'burbs, but so do many other things.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:58 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
*Sigh*

Houston does not lack public transportation. Houston lacks extensive rail. There is a big difference. There is a huge difference. There is a monumental difference. Houston's bus system (METRO) runs extensively through the inner loop, the north side and the west side of town. In the 'burbs, the bus system is lacking, and via bus you can only really get from a specific 'burb into downtown. It sucks in the 'burbs, but so do many other things.

Considering how high of a pedestal Houston is placed on by posters on this board, you would expect it to have a very good transit system. Just having a bus doesn't make a city have good public transportation. A city like that should have rail too. It's behind in other cities when it comes to that.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:06 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOMME View Post
.......wait, I thought nobody in New York City drives?

They have as much cars on the road as car/sprawl capital Los Angeles!
The streets are PACKED with cars, yet the odds are that most of the people you know don't drive. I have to say, it's not only our great public transportation, but the fact that parking is so difficult, and that everyone is already out there driving, that a lot of people just decide to take a train or a bus instead. Of course, I'm highly over-simplifying the process, but this does contribute to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City