Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:34 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times

Advertisements

I don't like driving in Florida. It takes cars like a half mile to even get up to the speed limit. It takes me about 20 feet, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:40 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Its funny to read people's explanations and made up excuses for why their state scored so badly. Get over it people, your state sucks at driving, except it. Us Floridians have, lol.
So true...everyone thinks their states drivers are the worst. Which is a sad commentary overall.

But for those of us who drive all over the country...

Florida is up there. So is Arizona. Just sayin'. Something about the sunbelt...perhaps it is the mix of newcomers with natives.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:15 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
NY & NJ...people can drive recklessly but at least most know what they're doing (the same can't be said for a lot of the country).

Old 02-01-2010, 12:03 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't like driving in Florida. It takes cars like a half mile to even get up to the speed limit. It takes me about 20 feet, lol.
You obviously haven't driven in Tampa of Miami. 10 over is a rule in most parts. In Miami, the second the light turns green, people are honking (not an exaggeration) and taking off. And people in Tampa treat stop lights like the beggining of a race. If your referring to retirement communities, or smaller cities like Naples, than yes. But you can't stereotype all of Florida by those areas.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:08 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
Statistically this makes sense but I guess its all a matter of opinion,for instance people in Ohio drive like theres a blizzard even on a nice day,it takes almost everyone forever to make a turn even if there is no one around and they drive so slow! Haha I always thought they would get run off the road in CA,but as you have it statistically they are "better" or per capita have less accidents,whatever you may have it. No offense to Ohioans but at least in this area everyone drives sloooow,though I do understand when it is snowing/snowy/icey but it's as if it's ALWAYS snowing/snowy/icey. NYC is a different story and depends where you are driving,living there you're smarter to not have a car to get across the city but if you must go out of the city and deal with the commuters from whatever area thats where you really learn how to get around quick,same with a lot of the bigger cities,SF heading down or back up the peninsula,the south bay and the east bay during commute hours are just as bad.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:26 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
It's funny how all of the bottom 11 states are states that matter, while 36 of the top 40 states are states that no one cares about (Texas, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Illinois are the exceptions).

Basically if you live in a state with any density, you instantly are a bad driver according to this list.
States that matter? Seriously?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:47 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The most ridiculous thing about that comment is that the bottom 11 contains states like Hawaii and Rhode Island, which I'm pretty sure aren't seen as "more important" than most other states.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:01 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
You obviously haven't driven in Tampa of Miami. 10 over is a rule in most parts. In Miami, the second the light turns green, people are honking (not an exaggeration) and taking off. And people in Tampa treat stop lights like the beggining of a race. If your referring to retirement communities, or smaller cities like Naples, than yes. But you can't stereotype all of Florida by those areas.

It's been like that everywhere in Florida. Yes, I have been to Tampa a few times.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:52 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I was being a bit strong with saying "states that matter"...but most of the bottom 11 are considerably more significant states than most of the other states listed with the exception of the states I listed: Texas, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Illinois...North Carolina could probably be added to that list too.

Obviously all states matter...I made that post almost a year ago, so I don't know how I was feeling that day...maybe I was in an antagonistic mood.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:33 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It's been like that everywhere in Florida. Yes, I have been to Tampa a few times.
So you have been to Tampa a few times and a few other places but want to tell everyone how all the cars take off from a stop light so slow?

It is good that we have someone that has visited the state a few times to tell everybody how we all drive.

And fast acceleration burns more gas and adds more wear and tear on the engine. Maybe the people accelerating slowly just like to take better care of their cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City