Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated Region
The North 66 40.24%
The South 51 31.10%
The Midwest 10 6.10%
The west 37 22.56%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:24 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Charlotte is nothing, but a small city. Raleigh, Louisville, Nashville and Birmingham are nothing but large towns, not cities
Birmingham, Raleigh-Durham, Nashville, Louisville and Memphis are cities, just not cities as large as New York City, Atlanta, Boston, Washington D.C., or Dallas-Forth Worth.

The Birmingham metro has 1.1 million people.
The Raleigh-Durham metro has about 1.4 million people.
The Louisville metro has about 1.2 million people.
The Memphis metro has about 1.2 million people.
The Nashville metro has 1.5 million people.
The Charlotte metro has about 2.0 million people.

The above cities are either as large, or larger than Buffalo, Providence, Rochester, and Syracuse.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:30 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Birmingham, Raleigh-Durham, Nashville, Louisville and Memphis are cities, just not cities as large as New York City, Atlanta, Boston, Washington D.C., or Dallas-Forth Worth.

The Birmingham metro has 1.1 million people.
The Raleigh-Durham metro has about 1.4 million people.
The Louisville metro has about 1.2 million people.
The Memphis metro has about 1.2 million people.
The Nashville metro has 1.5 million people.
The Charlotte metro has about 2.0 million people.

The above cities are either as large, or larger than Buffalo, Providence, Rochester, and Syracuse.
Thanks for those population numbers. You just CONFIRMED what I said

Charlotte is a small city. The others are nothing, but large towns

Old 05-27-2009, 05:09 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
What are you talking about? DC is North. The south starts in Virginia. Maybe back then DC was considered the South, but now it is part of the North. Texas is not southwest. Texas is the South. I believe you need to go back to history class.
Everyone in DC does not agree with you. Some believe they are South. Some believe they are North. Me personally, I do not believe it's Southern but it has characteristics. At the same time, I do not believe it is Northern. It's Mid-Atlantic. The center of the Mid-Atlantic region at that.

About Texas. Texas is simply Texas. It is essentially Southern but it has some of the southwest in it though it was far west of Interstate 35. South Texas is not Southern at all. It's more Mexican/Hispanic if anything. You can't pigeonhole the entire state. Again, the majority is essentially Southern but EVERY Texan will tell you they are Texans before Southerners.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:13 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
When you are constantly telling us what your city is like and do it in a way to degrade other cities acting like we really care what you think about the places that we love. It's arrogance to a tee. Contrary to popular belief, American and the world does not revolve around NYC. Great city. But it's one of many other great cities that this country has. I know most New Yorkers aren't like this. Many are proud. But none ever show the amount of arrogance that I have seen in the past few days on this board.
This post jumped out at me like a bible verse. This describes my life long experience with New Yorkers perfectly. And you can clearly see it on this thread. For example;Our salaries are better than yours, Our schools are better than yours. And how they are trying to twist the fact that the NE is losing bad.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:01 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
This post jumped out at me like a bible verse. This describes my life long experience with New Yorkers perfectly. And you can clearly see it on this thread. For example;Our salaries are better than yours, Our schools are better than yours. And how they are trying to twist the fact that the NE is losing bad.
We say that the NE is better because it is true. If you think otherwise then you are blinding yourself from seeing the truth or maybe you do not want to admit it.

New York city has many restuarants, many cultures, many places to go and to go to see. That is why is called The Big apple. There's nothing more to say. Transportation is available 24/7, stores are open until late, everything. So now you say that NYC is not that great as we portray it to be. please....

Old 05-28-2009, 01:02 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
This thread really needs to die. I'm literally starting to get sick to my stomach by reading the bull**** these New Yorkers post. Some of the most hateful, arrogant, close minded, judgemental people in the world. Yet they wrap themselves up in the social construct bull**** ideas of open mindedness and tolerance. Now i'm not saying that open mindedness and tolerance are bad things because they not. The reason I called them bull**** is because a lot of the people who profess a belief in these ideas are hypocrites that believe that there is a set criteria of things you have to like and things you have to hate to be a liberal. I am a democrat myself but at the end of the day we have our agendas and there are aspects of life we want to try to force other people to like just like anybody else and if they don't do it we attack them and consider them wrong for it. So when you New Yorkers walk around as arrogant and judgemental as you are thinking you are so damn tolerant and open minded please stop and think if you really are. But either way this thread has turned into complete BS. I believe Hamlet said it best when he said "These tedious old fools." That's about how i'm feeling about my discussion with these people right now.
I agree. The things that those texans say is really starting to tick me off

Sort of like those tshirts they wear all the time "everything is bigger in texas"

Now, that is arrogance

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 05-28-2009 at 01:14 AM..

Old 05-28-2009, 01:10 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I agree. The things that those texans say is really starting to tick me off

Sort of like those arrogant tshirts they wear all the time "everything is bigger in texas"

Now, that is arrogance
What is arrogance is when I see people having t-shirts of "Don't mess with Texas" that is what is arrogance is lol. What does Texas has that is all that? Nothing. Cowboys, farms, Cows, etc... please Texas is not all that.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,058 times
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/reports...illion2008.pdf

Enjoy your weather, everybody! Hmm, the Northeast looks pretty calm to me.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:51 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Well I think the south can match up well with northeast in terms of amount of cities,
Houston 2.2million
San Antonio (IF YOU INCLUDE IT IN THE SOUTH) 1.3million
Dallas 1.2million
Jacksonville, FL 800,000
Austin (IF YOU INCLUDE IT IN THE SOUTH) 750,000
Fort Worth 681,000
Memphis 674,000
Charlotte 671,000
Nashville 590,000

Old 05-28-2009, 01:54 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
We say that the NE is better because it is true. If you think otherwise then you are blinding yourself from seeing the truth or maybe you do not want to admit it.

New York city has many restuarants, many cultures, many places to go and to go to see. That is why is called The Big apple. There's nothing more to say. Transportation is available 24/7, stores are open until late, everything. So now you say that NYC is not that great as we portray it to be. please....
That is HIGHLY subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City