Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated Region
The North 66 40.24%
The South 51 31.10%
The Midwest 10 6.10%
The west 37 22.56%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 05:44 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times

Advertisements

I'll let you know when we have a hurricane in Dallas.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:39 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,538,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
The north is not overated

It has Philly, Boston, NYC and DC

Name another region that has four cities that can compete with that?

The four major cities in the south are fine to live...... Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Miami

There is no way in hell that I would enjoy living anywhere else in the south

Also, let me add that it's ok to split the north into two regions (northeast and midwest), but the south is one
Obviously the majority disagree with you.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
You are lying because you are trying to say that the south is not hit by hurricanes

The south is where pretty much ALL of them go to

Have you ever heard of a college called The University of Miami "HURRICANES"?

There is a reason for that name
I think what he said was "You don't even realize most tornadoes in the country don't even occur in The South!"

I guess you need to be taught the difference between a hurricane and a tornado.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
How can the North East be over rated. If you go to NYC you can find many cultures which you do not find it in the south. Maybe if you only go to Miami. However, there are more states in the NE that you can have a better time than in the south. Like DC, NJ, Philly. If you would go to those places you would find better places to have fun than in the south. Most of the parts in the south, one needs to drive like 1 hour to get to one place wow.... Doesn't that tells you something?
I pointed out, the majority disagree with you and feel the north is overrated.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:11 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,180,658 times
Learn the difference between a majority and a plurality, please.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Learn the difference between a majority and a plurality, please.
I am sure you as well as everyone else that read what I posted understood what I was posting.

Unfortunately you have no other reply so you rely on nitpicking my use of a word.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:50 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,443,229 times
Quote:
Your post are so funny. It is like a cub trying to play with the bears
That's an odd analogy. How would that be any different from a human baby trying to play with adults?

Quote:
You are lying because you are trying to say that the south is not hit by hurricanes

The south is where pretty much ALL of them go to
Actually YOU are lying b/c you are trying to put words in his mouth. The Northeast is where pretty much all of the liars go.

I'm joking. But you need to reread what he posted before you accuse him of lying. You owe him an apology.

Quote:
Have you ever heard of a college called The University of Miami "HURRICANES"?

There is a reason for that name
Have you ever heard of a tornado? They are completely different from Hurricanes. There is a reason he used that word.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Wow Uthorn has been caught red-handed. Uthorn is lying. Why you have to lie to make the south look good?
Why do so many NE fans do this? I credit you guys with sticking together, but you just jumped on a sinking boat. Post exactly where he lied. And then pry your foot from your mouth.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
You sure showed your northern intelligence right there. You don't even realize most tornadoes in the country don't even occur in The South! The fact that you even made the statement about you being intelligent in the first place shows how ignorant you really are. How does being born in one region make you any smarter than someone born in another region? And how do you know whether a whole region of people is more intelligent or not? And don't give me some bull**** statistics either. That is a ridiculous statement to make because believe me...I have seen my share of idiots from the north. You logic would be acceptable in the third grade at best.

As far as being modern goes...it's funny how modern is a good thing now but when it comes to a skyline debate you northeners are the first ones to talk about how modern skyscrapers are ugly and have no character. BTW there is plenty of culture in The South. If you northern narcissists could get your heads out of your asses long enough to stop basing your opinions on stupid generalizations and stereotypes and actually looked at the culture in the south you would realize that. BTW a lot of things you stereotype about The South ARE CULTURE!! It might not be the culture YOU enjoy but it is culture. So what the **** does culture mean to you anyway?
Many posters on here from the Northeast are very quick to use blanket statements, and love to broad brush entire areas as though the areas that they are so quick to judge contain only one single personality type. These same Northeasterners commonly pat themselves on the back for their intelligence and culture through a series of typos. Pay it no mind.

I agree with you on the modern vs. history/character issue. Though the poster you are quoting may not have brought up the skyline debate, the typical argument IS in favor of the older architecture that has more character and why their skylines are so much greater, as well as why their cities are so much greater vs. newer cities that have so much sprawl. They give no respect to said cities. So to now hear the argument coming from their side that favors modernity is laughable, whether this individual was a participant or not.

For whatever reason there will always be a need coming from that side to be competitive and to be number one. Regardless of whatever the absolute truth is, these types are content to use whatever means necessary to win an argument no matter how hypocritical they might be. They just want to be able to say they're number one. I don't know if this assessment necessarily applies to the poster you're responding to, but it does apply to many posters that play that game on here. I think its pathetic.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
My sentiments exactly. DC, Philly, and NYC are great places to visit but horrendous places to live (for maintaining a peace of mind and social life for people who aren't complete type-A, cutthroat, trust-fund, tools). And seeing how many pro-northeasterners are so narrow-minded about seeing their region as the best place in the world with no problems whatsoever while bashing every other place in the world (whether it's London, Paris, Tokyo, or their favorite scapegoat the South) should give everyone the glimpse of the mentality and attitudes I have to deal with on a daily basis.

That tells me those places are awesome to take a vacation and be a tourist in, not necessarily exclusive qualities many people look for in places to live.
I absolutely agree. I think some of the views that come from there are the most narrow of any region that I have experienced. There are homers from everywhere, but the double standards employed by the people from that region that want to win an argument are just pathetic. And for whatever reason they fight tooth and nail to win at everything, regardless of whether they've actually won. They'd be content stealing a trophy from a contest they participated in just to claim the title.

The Northeast is BY FAR the most over-hyped region, and therefore the most overrated IMO. I like it a lot personally, but that only came after many, many disappointments following the setting in of reality. Their insistence on pumping their region up to being this ridiculously miraculous place that no other place comes close to, while failing to give credit to what other regions have to offer and where they rank in comparison, ends up making much of the East Coast a place that does not follow through with what it promises to deliver.

When I learned to tune out whatever East Coast braggarts had told me about their area (most particularly NYC), I got to see how great their place could actually be. But always hearing their claims of how everything stays open so much later, there's excellent pizza EVERYWHERE in the East Coast, the food over there is unmatched, the people there are REAL and genuine (while people in other regions are supposedly fake), blah blah blah, and then getting over there to finally see what so many people had hyped it up to be, I was underwhelmed. The NE could not possibly live up to the hype its fans give it, b/c they defy reality with their claims. So it is the most overrated, but its still an awesome place and I do like it a lot. I just wish when some people were talking it up they'd contain their exaggerations and tell it the way it actually is.

And the supposedly "real" people out there are not as abundant as so many claim. Many of the fakest people I've met in my life come from that region, and people on this forum only reinforce that by lying or behaving like 5 year olds and never acknowledging fault in a disagreement. Not everyone is real out there, but there is an astounding amount of self-congratulatory tools from there. And to have heard the claim of people from there being "enlightened" is absurd when they act like this. They truly do a disservice to all the wonderful people that come from there and don't behave this way. But then again, most of those people aren't on here bragging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City