Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs Philly
Atlanta 145 38.36%
Philadelphia 233 61.64%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 05:29 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
If you have $2 million dollars and you lost $700,000 would you be happy?Yes how many people has Philly lost of the years?(that is if you were used to having that much).Id say that is REAL bad.Philly used to be much bigger.It was the 4th largest city now its the 6th.Its been declining since the 1950's.Thats nothing to be proud of.Large parts of Philly look like Camden.Camden was a big city too remember.

Actually if you check the stats I believe Philly holds up very well to its peers concerning population loss. You can check for yourself but you will find that Boston,Washington,Baltimore,Chicago,Detroit,Minnea polis,st louis,Cincinnati,Cleveland,Buffalo,newark, Pittsburgh and others have lost a greater % of their population over the past 50 years. As in the case of the aforementioned cities the surrounding region makes up for the population loss of the cities and then some.

Atlanta is in the crawling stage as a major city, its 150 years younger than Philly in this regard, its day of decline will surface in due time.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:38 PM

314 posts, read 1,277,596 times
I picked Atlanta...from the pictures Atlanta looks like a better skyline...

now if you were to ask which is nicer at the pedistrian level..probably philly due to density.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:02 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Actually if you check the stats I believe Philly holds up very well to its peers concerning population loss. You can check for yourself but you will find that Boston,Washington,Baltimore,Chicago,Detroit,Minnea polis,st louis,Cincinnati,Cleveland,Buffalo,newark, Pittsburgh and others have lost a greater % of their population over the past 50 years. As in the case of the aforementioned cities the surrounding region makes up for the population loss of the cities and then some.

Atlanta is in the crawling stage as a major city, its 150 years younger than Philly in this regard, its day of decline will surface in due time.
Look.As an American I hope the best for Philly .It actually seems to be in a sort of Renaissance.I hope that it keeps getting better and stop the years of decline.Not just talking population.However there is so much to do.As far as it "downsides" that was my point.A couple of you were trying to harp in about Atlanta and its "downsides" and it had nothing to pertaining to what was being said about the topic.While Atlanta drawbacks have been less density and urbanity in the past,it has and is changing what once were major downsides to where now they are slight downsides.That change is rapid and noticeable.Philly is by nature of its age will show less signs of major development.It has to tweek and work with the treasures it has.I responded only in kind.Its statements like "bigboys" etc...that people try to throw around as if cities like Atlanta,Houston,Dallas,or Miami cannot contribute to the urban fabric that its older established cities can.Also other statements like "its day of decline will surface in due time" .Seems that many people just do not want these younger cities to become what is inevitable. I can tell you if Atlanta's decline comes sooner on that level than later,it will not be just Atlanta but the whole U.S.The notion is is absolutely ludicrous that even if it is less than some of the older cities,that the newer cities cannot offer anything EVEN CLOSE to what those established cities offer.The amount of Fortune 500 companies in Atlanta and Houston should be one indicator.

Its like England telling the US that "our decline will surface in time".After all England is 600 yrs or more older right?

Old 07-03-2009, 06:03 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadgrad View Post
I picked Atlanta...from the pictures Atlanta looks like a better skyline...

now if you were to ask which is nicer at the pedistrian level..probably philly due to density.
That was my exact sentiment.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The only thing I don't like about Philly is how much squalor there is.Blocks and blocks of boarded up row houses that are vacant.Areas that will never be able to be reclaimed ,with no potential.Philly has really done a lot to clean up its downtown core(especially Market St) since the 1990s.But North Philly up near Girard Ave.....well..
There is always potential. By your logic NYC would be a crumbling decayed warzone. Are you old enough to realize how bad of shape that NYC was in 30 years ago? They've done an amazing job of reviving that city, NYC being the Worlds HQ is much wealthier than Philly who of course will have a much tougher road to hoe. Soceity Hill 50 years ago was a slum, today its arguably the best neighborhood in the usa.

Northern Liberties looking North- This is above Girard North Philly

Nothern Liberties looking South from the same spot^^.That factory will be refurbished and used as condos. Currently one of the largest urban renewal initiatives underway anywhere on the globe. There will be 2500 new housing units, a supermarket, office space,and retail in this one 28 acre tract of land that used to be abandoned Beer factories.Cities constantly change,Philly is no different except it might change at a slower pace than NYC-Chi-Bos.

Last edited by rainrock; 07-03-2009 at 06:43 PM..

Old 07-03-2009, 06:42 PM

Philadelphia- Looking east

Looking North

Old 07-03-2009, 06:55 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/PHILLY/NJ/NYC View Post
I should have been clearer with the 900 ft range comment. What I meant by that comment is Atlanta has zero buildings from 900-999 ft. And YOU are the one that needs to post accurate information and stop inflating the height of several buildings. Suntrust Plaza is 871 ft not 902 ft; Westin Peachtree Plaza is 723 ft, not 882 ft. Atlanta has one building above 1000 ft and then drops off to 871 ft, which means there are zero buildings between 900-999ft. This link proves my point. List of tallest buildings in Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I didn't inflate the buildings heights - you under represented them.

And your exact statement was "in the 900' range", not 900-999 feet. Stop trying to make Philadelphia something it isn't...it doesn't win EVERY category.

There are more tall buildings in Atlanta than in Philadelphia...that is a fact that, no matter how many times you try to say it isn't. Lets be adults about these things...

Old 07-03-2009, 07:16 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10054722@N07/3271322412/ (broken link)

Atlanta Skyline from Turner Stadium on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruno_misseeuw/403660413/ - broken link)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10054722@N07/3490620168/

Atlanta skyline on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/anewsome/184092890/ - broken link)

Downtown Atlanta Georgia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28003653@N08/2708840395/ - broken link)

Old 07-03-2009, 07:21 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
That Atlanta skyline looks so seperated and undense. This is not even a competition. Philly wins for sure.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
That Atlanta skyline looks so seperated and undense. This is not even a competition. Philly wins for sure.
See where the problem lies? I posted photos without any commentary, and the very first response is nothing but immature and obviously from someone who doesn't know much about Atlanta. It's usually a better option to make positive comments about your city rather than negative, silly comments about another city.

How does someone respond to that comment? How about..."IS NOT!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City