Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs Philly
Atlanta 145 38.36%
Philadelphia 233 61.64%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 03:58 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I would not know what the traffic is like on the Benjamin Franklin Bridge, I take the PATCO train to work.
Ok so you do but you know what im saying.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Wait a second, I voted for Atlanta in this tread BTW.

Atlanta is in a another league than Charlotte. However, only 100,000 people separate the population of Fulton County (Atlanta) and Mecklenburg county (Charlotte). Fulton County has 6 sq/mi more land too.

In all honesty, Philly has almost as many people in its 132 sq/mi city limits as 800 sq/mi Fulton/Dekalb County has combined. I am sorry, but when it comes to urbanity, Atlanta is closer to the Birminghams, Nashvilles, and Charlottes than it is to Philly. It is what it is.

As for the skyline, Atlanta should be winning this poll. Get over it Northeasterners. There is a city "down south" with a MUCH better looking skyline than a major Northeastern city (like Philly). Atlanta is her name. Stop hating on the South and just be honest for once. It is not that big of a deal.
I disagree.Reason why?I can name off the top of my head many places (In Atlanta where you can LIVE ,go to a restaurant,have coffee, watch a movie and shop for furniture,clothes all in one neighborhood or area.By riding the subway or walking.Without riding a bus or car.
1)Va Highlands
2)Little 5 points
3)East Atlanta Village
4)Buckhead Village
5)Lindbergh Center
6)Atlantic Station District
7)Midtown West Village
8)Failie-Poplar District
9) Marietta Street District
10) Centennial Olympic Park
11)Castleberry Hill District
12)Grant Park
These are some just off the top of my head.These are major walkable urban centers of commerce and dwelling within the city of Atlanta.People are always out walking about.Out of there cars.Hence this is my reasoning for saying what I said.Charlotte ,Birmingham,Nashville all lack Heavy Rail.Heavy rail is a key component of getting people out of there cars.Especially when you center commerce centers and housing near those stations that have heavy rail service.Which Atlanta has done all over the city especially within the last 10 years with a vengeance.I'd say this is a key reason why so many people have returned to the cities core.This is why Atlanta is regarded as being larger than just its population.It is not a dig at those other southern cities its just a fact.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:24 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Yeah Atlanta has urban pockets. But it is not as Urban as Philadelphia as a whole. There really is no denying that.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:37 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,770,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Out of these cities chosen, which do you think has to best skyline, and why??

Philly

ATL

There is a philly day skyline, while ATL is night skyline... a night skyline really could tip ones vote... though I voted for Philly.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:53 PM

649 posts, read 1,422,996 times
I say Philly wins in the density department, but Atlanta wins with the best skyline. It may seem crazy now that the skyline is spread out a bit but after this recession, ATL skyline is going to be absolutely incredible. Philly kinda is what it is, but Atlanta has so much potential.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:51 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
honestly, if ATL grouped their talls and buckhead together, it would blow away many a city...and match ny & chi

Old 07-04-2009, 09:36 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
honestly, if ATL grouped their talls and buckhead together, it would blow away many a city...and match ny & chi
I have been thinking about this for years but ATL doesn't need that downtown connector at all. When I'm in the city or looking at pictures I always think "If they really wanted to, they could knock this wall down easily have the street connect to this street, they're already spending big money to add more concrete. Why not spend to clean up/tweak?" The potential is there but it's like we want that big city look but not the feel. I'm from ATL and I know other Atlantans have to feel this way a little (the heart of the city should be very lively). I'm ranting big time but Buckhead's structures would look nice it it was in the place of the gaps (connector freeways). It is what it is though.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:17 PM

81 posts, read 218,810 times
Quote:

With one building over 1000'.....please.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:14 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
It still wouldn't match NYC and Chicago, but it would be definitely be a much more impressive skyline, that's for sure.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah Atlanta has urban pockets. But it is not as Urban as Philadelphia as a whole. There really is no denying that.
I never said that.Read my past post.I said Atlanta was closer to Philly and urbanity than Charlotte.That was a response to a poster from Charlotte.Philly is not like NYC either.You could say there are pockets in Philly as well.Much of the city is dead at night.In that regard its not much different than Atlanta.There are no 24 hour grocery stores that im aware of.(maybe but not many)If you were a tourist and you just rode on the main thoroughfares of say Market or Broad streets.You would not even know about South street or thI know Philly well enough to realize that Atlanta does not compare in that respect but it has enough and gaining rapidly.Personally I like the contrast in these cities.For me I live Downtown Atlanta close to the Subway and all Atlanta's major attractions so I am happy where I am.

This also back-up my claim of why Atlanta is closer associated with cities like Philly and Boston and not Charlotte or Birmingham.
Rank City Country GDP in $US BN
1 New York City USA $ 1133
2 Los Angeles USA $ 639
3 Chicago USA $ 460
4 Philadelphia USA $ 312
5 Washington DC USA $ 299
6 Boston USA $ 290
7 Dallas USA $ 268
8 San Francisco USA $ 242
9 Atlanta USA $ 236
10 Houston USA $ 235

Last edited by afonega1; 07-05-2009 at 01:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City