Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of "number three" US cities: Chicago, SF, DC, Houston or Boston?
Chicago 79 51.97%
SF 18 11.84%
Houston 18 11.84%
Boston 12 7.89%
DC 25 16.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:36 PM

398 posts, read 1,035,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
Yeah most Chicago homer's tend to say things like "I like LA better than Chicago" LOL.
Maybe it's the Chicago stress that's getting to you. Chicago was just named the most stressful and miserable American city!

According to the article, Chicago is characterized by "Sinking property values, high unemployment and prices, and poor environments" Ouch!

America's Most Stressful Cities 2009 - Yahoo! Real Estate

But, hey, at least Chicago is #1 in something (besides murder and parking garages).

Oh, BTW, now I believe you're a doc. Explains why I can't read doctor's notes. "Chicago homer's" Definitely not an English teacher!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyobubba View Post
No, it is not.
Ah, so you want to disregard common practice and only compare city limits to city limits, even though it's completely nonsensical and arbitrary, and you just picked it because you think it improves Chicago's standing?

Fine, you win. The numbers show that Chicago is in the same league as Houston, and soon, Phoenix, and Chicago is totally outclassed by LA.

According to the 2008 Census estimates, LA has nearly 3.9 million residents and is growing consistently, and Chicago has 2.7 million residents and, since 2000, has lost more population than any other city in the country.

So LA has nearly 50% greater population within city limits, and is MUCH bigger than Chicago. Not twice as big (which it is in reality), but, in your biased methodology, only 50% as large.

Now, looking at Chicago, it is MUCH closer in population to Houston than to LA. In fact, it is even closer in population to Phoenix than to LA!

So if you want to compare Chicago to LA, you DEFINITELY have to consider Chicago in the same league as Phoenix. No question whatsoever.

The real risk for Chicago is Houston. Houston has been a big gainer since 2000 and Chicago has been the biggest loser. It's quite likely that Houston surpasses Chicago in the next decade or so.

In fact, it isn't inconceivable that Phoenix surpasses Chicago in due time. If you look at the relative growth rates, it should surpass Chicago within 20 years.

After that comes San Antonio. Could even San Antonio surpass Chicago?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:41 PM

5 posts, read 6,395 times
Default City!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Are you crazy lol? I agree L.A often gets overrated, but all cities have a lot of suburbs. I don't get if you're trying to say L.A is made up of suburbs of Suburban L.A is made up of a lot of suburbs.
------------------
I agree whole heartedly... ALL major cities have suburbs. BUT... not all cities add their suburb count to their primary city count to boost their numbers.
In fact, I think your San Francisco (I'm assuming you're from CA) is the only city in your state that is 1 county/ 1 city. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Maybe I need to ask you a huge question. Have you ever been to New York, Philly, Boston..... Chicago, Detroit?... a true city?.... even on the west coast... Frisco?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:12 PM

5 posts, read 6,395 times
[
Again, numbers don't always necessarily mean ****! It's all the way things are counted! How many times do you people have to be shown,... Smell-A (adds up 115 plus towns/suburbs) and says we have x-amount of millions of people. It's a frickin' facade!!
Chicago has character... LA is a one-dimensional **** hole!...You can't compare the two. It's impossible!
And NO, I'm not from Chicago! But I've spent enough time in both !!!

quote=Osito57;10653171]Maybe it's the Chicago stress that's getting to you. Chicago was just named the most stressful and miserable American city!

According to the article, Chicago is characterized by "Sinking property values, high unemployment and prices, and poor environments" Ouch!

America's Most Stressful Cities 2009 - Yahoo! Real Estate

But, hey, at least Chicago is #1 in something (besides murder and parking garages).

Oh, BTW, now I believe you're a doc. Explains why I can't read doctor's notes. "Chicago homer's" Definitely not an English teacher!

Ah, so you want to disregard common practice and only compare city limits to city limits, even though it's completely nonsensical and arbitrary, and you just picked it because you think it improves Chicago's standing?

Fine, you win. The numbers show that Chicago is in the same league as Houston, and soon, Phoenix, and Chicago is totally outclassed by LA.

According to the 2008 Census estimates, LA has nearly 3.9 million residents and is growing consistently, and Chicago has 2.7 million residents and, since 2000, has lost more population than any other city in the country.

So LA has nearly 50% greater population within city limits, and is MUCH bigger than Chicago. Not twice as big (which it is in reality), but, in your biased methodology, only 50% as large.

Now, looking at Chicago, it is MUCH closer in population to Houston than to LA. In fact, it is even closer in population to Phoenix than to LA!

So if you want to compare Chicago to LA, you DEFINITELY have to consider Chicago in the same league as Phoenix. No question whatsoever.

The real risk for Chicago is Houston. Houston has been a big gainer since 2000 and Chicago has been the biggest loser. It's quite likely that Houston surpasses Chicago in the next decade or so.

In fact, it isn't inconceivable that Phoenix surpasses Chicago in due time. If you look at the relative growth rates, it should surpass Chicago within 20 years.

After that comes San Antonio. Could even San Antonio surpass Chicago? [/quote]

Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 PM

721 posts, read 1,786,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Maybe it's the Chicago stress that's getting to you. Chicago was just named the most stressful and miserable American city!
You were just named City-Data's biggest troll, point being? There's a stressful city every year. Every major cities been named the most stressful city at some point. It means nothing. Moving on.

Quote:
Every place in the country is suffering from sinking property values, high unemployment, and high prices. As for poor environments, what are you saying? Chicago is the leading green architecture city in the world.

Quote:
Ignorance.

Quote:
Quote:
Chicago and L.A have two entirely different feels. A suburb in L.A is nothing like a suburb in Chicago. My honest opinion is Chicago is a better city than L.A, but L.A has better suburbs (along the coast).

Quote:
Wrong, Chicago and L.A are in the same "league."

Quote:
LOL! Wow, the 2008 ESTIMATE for Chicago is 2.853 million. Last time I checked, that was only less than 47,000 off of being 2.9 million. L.A is further from 3.9 million than Chicago is from 2.9 million according to your 2008 Census Estimates.

Quote:
Wrong again. Chicago is 71% the size of L.A when it comes to city limits. In terms of Metro areas, L.A is ALMOST twice as big, but its not there yet.

Quote:
You have no idea what you're saying. Pheonix has 1.567 million residents. Chicago is 1.3 million residents larger. L.A is just over 1 million residents larger than Chicago. How are they closer in population?

Quote:
Wow, you clearly don't have any idea what you're talking about. Do a little research before you post such ignorance.

Quote:
How is that a risk lol? To start, Houston's city limits are almost three times larger than Chicago's. Who cares if Houston's city proper population is larger than Chicago's? Even if Houston does surpass Chicago, it won't be for at least 30 years. The difference between them now is something like 600,000.

Quote:
In fact, it isn't inconceivable that Phoenix surpasses Chicago in due time. If you look at the relative growth rates, it should surpass Chicago within 20 years./QUOTE]

LOL. Wow, please tell me you don't really believe this.

QUOTE=Osito57;10653171]After that comes San Antonio. Could even San Antonio surpass Chicago?
Wow, at least most trolls have some factual evidence to support their otherwise irrational claims.

Can I negative rep you?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:41 PM

Hi troll DNCR/Yoyobuba/Lakal!

Nice non-response to all of my points!

I guess you admit Chicago just isn't in LA's league, since it's half the size, the murder capital of the nation, and just voted the #1 most miserable city!

I have to say you topped yourself though with the "green city" claim. The supposed "greenest city" has 70% auto ownership, giant parking garages at the base of every building, and strip malls galore! Oh, and was just ranked the most polluted city in the U.S.!

Make up some more lies! Maybe Chicago is the "hilliest city" on earth, right? Maybe the "warmest city" in February. Any more lies?

Time to make up some more screen names, and try and come up with other nonsensical arguments why Chicago should be compared to a city twice the size (LA) but somehow should not be compared to a city half its size (Atlanta or Phoenix).

Old 09-07-2009, 09:53 PM

721 posts, read 1,786,097 times
Quote:
Hi troll DNCR/Yoyobuba/Lakal!
HI!

Quote:
Nice non-response to all of my points!
Nice non-responses to our points (which are right). You're a troll.

Quote:
I guess you admit Chicago just isn't in LA's league, since it's half the size, the murder capital of the nation, and just voted the #1 most miserable city!
They are in the same league. Chicago's GDP is higher per capita. As for the murder rate, yeah its bad., but it has gone down over the years. L.A's crime/murder rate is pretty high too. If anything, L.A will soon be leading in that area.

Quote:
I have to say you topped yourself though with the "green city" claim. The supposed "greenest city" has 70% auto ownership, giant parking garages at the base of every building, and strip malls galore! Oh, and was just ranked the most polluted city in the U.S.!
Green City claim is the truth, look it up. Lol car ownership at 70%? You hypocrite, people in L.A are DEPENDENT on cars. The city is supported on express ways. Maybe you cant see that with all the smog blocking your view, but they're there. Most polluted city in the U.S? That's pretty funny. L.A is covered with smog all the time. Give me a link to support your claim.

Quote:
Make up some more lies! Maybe Chicago is the "hilliest city" on earth, right? Maybe the "warmest city" in February. Any more lies?
Lol, no one's lying except you. You're funny in a sad and pathetic way.

Quote:
Time to make up some more screen names, and try and come up with other nonsensical arguments why Chicago should be compared to a city twice the size (LA) but somehow should not be compared to a city half its size (Atlanta or Phoenix).
No one has to run and hide behind different screen names because they're scared of you. Chicago's compared to L.A because they rival (did I just say that?) each other in our economy. Chicago is even compared to NYC. You're a uniformed troll, get over yourself.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:59 PM

787 posts, read 1,689,379 times
Oh Osito57, nobody else uses your multiple screen name approach. LOL, please have the mods check IPs! I can almost guarantee that I'm based somewhere completely different than anyone you mentioned.

Why is it that can't you ever provide data, but instead choose to use exaggerations and feelings?

Old 09-07-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Why is it that can't you ever provide data, but instead choose to use exaggerations and feelings?
Slick move; now we all believe you, really, DNCR/Yoyobuba/Lakal!

And yeah, the U.S. Census is nothing but "exaggerations and feelings"!
What a joke, right?

Contrast my Census stats with your claim that car-centric Chicago is simultaneously the greenest city and yet the most polluted and miserable city!

Maybe the "green" you're referring to is the green, poisonous industrial emissions from the South Side??

If that's the case, then I'm glad we agree! It's great you're finally admitting the truth, DNCR/Yoyobuba/Lakal! Indeed, no place is as polluted as Chicago!

Or could it be the "green" that criminal Daley uses to buy off the Alderman and stomp on the poor?

Unfortunately for Daley, now that the Governor is going to jail, he'll spill the beans on Daley and it's curtains for Tricky Dick! He's going to have a cell over in Levenworth!!

Now the only question is if his simpleton son is ready for a mayorality/life of crime. We'll see how much "green" he can throw around...

Old 09-07-2009, 10:16 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
Green city is a little misleading... perhaps new projects to renovate buildings so they are LEED or something? or # hybrid buses?

Old 09-07-2009, 10:17 PM

787 posts, read 1,689,379 times
Quote:
Slick move; now we all believe you, really, DNCR/Yoyobuba/Lakal!

And yeah, the U.S. Census is nothing but "exaggerations and feelings"!
What a joke, right?

Contrast my Census stats with your claim that car-centric Chicago is simultaneously the greenest city and yet the most polluted and miserable city!

Maybe the "green" you're referring to is the green, poisonous industrial emissions from the South Side??

If that's the case, then I'm glad we agree! It's great you're finally admitting the truth, DNCR/Yoyobuba/Lakal! Indeed, no place is as polluted as Chicago!

Or could it be the "green" that criminal Daley uses to buy off the Alderman and stomp on the poor?

Unfortunately for Daley, now that the Governor is going to jail, he'll spill the beans on Daley and it's curtains for Tricky Dick! He's going to have a cell over in Levenworth!!

I don't think you've ever used actual census data when you were debating with me.

And I never made any of those claims, as I have only one screen name, have only ever had one, and don't plan on getting another one. Unlike you.

Now, Osito57, read this well: any post with lakal on it is me; any other post with a different name is somebody else and their opinions, which I may or may not agree with. Comprende?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City