Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Skyline!
Houston 144 36.27%
Philadelphia 253 63.73%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:40 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,303,190 times

Advertisements

I vote Houston. I like the several skyline effect and I also like the architecture in Houston. I'm not a fan of the "gritty" look. It looks dirty to me or I may have inaccurate definition of gritty. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. I also agree that Houston's skyline is underrated as Houston as a whole is underrated.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:22 PM

43 posts, read 118,410 times
I voted for Houston. Houston's skyline is much larger than that of Philly and its modern looking. Philly to me, is a dirty run down city. it's just so old and run down. I went there (Philly) this summer and was not impressed at all.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:52 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,451 times
I definitely love my adopted home town - H Town! But, I'm going to give the nod to Philly on this one, especially when taking into account the offerings of the entire metro. I visited as a tourist for the first time this past summer (4th of July) and was impressed with Philly's history, cultural offerings, proximity to nature, ease of getting from point A to point B, etc. In short, Philly's a great town that we should all be proud of as Americans. Philly-represent!

Old 01-30-2010, 12:05 AM

631 posts, read 1,227,938 times
Philly All day !!!! the urban fabric of the city and it's urban nieghborhoods. Houston can't match... It Ma be old and ran down but the history of the city can't be touched ethier...

Old 01-31-2010, 10:55 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Philly's metropolitan area is seriously undercounted!

Old 01-31-2010, 11:28 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The Loop and the Near North Side look like they're on Manhattan. The Willis Tower is in the West Loop and the John Hancock marks the general area where Michigan Avenue ends into the lake and blends into the Lincoln Park area. A longitude line can be drawn from the bend where South Wacker becomes West Wacker up to the lakeshore and notice the tall buildings congregate east of the longitude line.

The New York skyline is fantastic...for color-blind people that is. Apparently the grey weather of the North made the architects lose color perception; it's the city where people love black (and brown sometimes).

Center City is more impressive than Manhattan because the red brick buildings indicate the history of this place. This is probably what the city looked like when the Constitution was signed in 1787. New York didn't preserve its history well. Federal Hall is a reconstruction and the historical original building was decommissioned as the City Hall (its last use) and torn down for scrap. The balcony where George Washington became the first President of the United States is now gone and one must have to imagine that spot (and use a ladder to stand at that exact spot now in the air). No one needs to go to such extremes in Independence Hall. The modern business district (with the landmark Liberty Place towers) is a little more colorful because of the reddish Bell Atlantic tower.

New York needs a little color since the most noted buildings look more like the Chase Tower than the Bank of America Center. A tall red granite building like the Bank of America Center or a green glass curtained building like Houston's Wells Fargo Plaza brings color in the daytime (the preferred time for picture taking) and is one of the strengths of Houston's Downtown skyline.

Sorry, I'd rather have skyscrapers than "green tall buildings" *yawn*

Old 01-31-2010, 11:38 AM

882 posts, read 2,245,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Sorry, I'd rather have skyscrapers than "green tall buildings" *yawn*
So this is what your "houston" search brought up in City Data. Thanks for coming.

OH, and that "green tall building" is 8 feet short of being a super tall at 982 ft. When do you start considering tall buildings "skyscrapers"? At 1,000 feet? In that case, i guess NYC only has 4 skyscrapers.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:37 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
So this is what your "houston" search brought up in City Data. Thanks for coming.

OH, and that "green tall building" is 8 feet short of being a super tall at 982 ft. When do you start considering tall buildings "skyscrapers"? At 1,000 feet? In that case, i guess NYC only has 4 skyscrapers.

I don't know, none of the buildings in Houston excite me. I was just in Philadelphia 2 days ago and I love the skyline, even though it's kind of small. The buildings are pretty, and most people don't care what color buildings are, lol.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:56 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times
Both are great cities, but I prefer Philly for the location, and the weather.
Houston is probably better if we were to talk about economies.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:58 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,697,811 times
Philly is more of a city than Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City