Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:18 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Seriously this city vs. city forum is getting annoying with trolls that keep trash talking. The question was Chicago or San Diego for a man and his wife who is finishing her residency. They want to know the pros and cons about each place. They don't want to hear people argue about the same tired old crap that dementor aka this new version of dementer keep bringing up. So annoying.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

the op is trying to choose where to move but if anything its making it more confusing! TROLLS TROlls trolls smh! smmfh

-m23-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 03:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Huh? I'd say 60% of the posts are about people who are moving to Chicago and have questions, 20% are the same person posting every newspaper article they can find about crime or bad things, and 20% are general issues going on in the city. Transit, taxes, etc. etc.
A person who, by the way, happens to live in New York.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Im not sure who dementer is
You might as well drop the pretense because nobody is fooled.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:00 PM

467 posts, read 873,916 times
Originally Posted by Chicago60614
Huh? I'd say 60% of the posts are about people who are moving to Chicago and have questions, 20% are the same person posting every newspaper article they can find about crime or bad things, and 20% are general issues going on in the city. Transit, taxes, etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
A person who, by the way, happens to live in New York.

And he also responds to himself using all twenty aliases, includindg yours? Another big-city conspiracy against Chicago
Give it a rest.. Almost every Chicago post brings up some magazine article or another ranking as a "proof" of city greatness. You guys live for it.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Originally Posted by Chicago60614

And he also responds to himself using all twenty aliases, includindg yours? Another big-city conspiracy against Chicago
Give it a rest.. Almost every Chicago post brings up some magazine article or another ranking as a "proof" of city greatness. You guys live for it.
Not even close to "almost every Chicago posts brings up some magazine article or another ranking," but no facts are going to stop you from incessantly Chicago-trolling because facts are irrelevant to your goal of monopolizing every Chicago-related thread. Which is why I stopped bothering with point-by-point refutations of your absurd assertions long ago.

So why'd you switch back to this screen name after it had been dormant for nearly 4 months? Too many people had your 'dementor' screen name on ignore and your trolling was losing its effectiveness?

Old 05-25-2009, 04:17 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
All these people aren't dementor, frankly there are a lot of people who think the posters from Chicago over boast. Then there are a lot of people who do try to represent Chicago good, but make some vague stretching claims, because in a lot of peoples mind Chicago is not on their radar, when it probably should be. But, it also has a lot of issues. I think a lot of people have just grown tired of the boasting, yeah Chicago has a lot of great things, but it also has a lot of great faults. If more people told the good with the bad (coldwine is a very intelligent poster for instance) then there wouldn't be this issue. I also will defend Chicago, but I will critique it harshly the same way as I feel it is a part of my history.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:19 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
All these people aren't dementor, frankly there are a lot of people who think the posters from Chicago over boast. Then there are a lot of people who do try to represent Chicago good, but make some vague stretching claims, because in a lot of peoples mind Chicago is not on their radar, when it probably should be. But, it also has a lot of issues. I think a lot of people have just grown tired of the boasting, yeah Chicago has a lot of great things, but it also has a lot of great faults. If more people told the good with the bad (coldwine is a very intelligent poster for instance) then there wouldn't be this issue. I also will defend Chicago, but I will critique it harshly the same way as I feel it is a part of my history.
I get what your saying but the reason a lot of Chicago posters come off in that light is due to the fact that they are refuting absurd claims by trolls.

Dementor aka Advoc... knows what he's doing.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:22 PM

467 posts, read 873,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I get what your saying but the reason a lot of Chicago posters come off in that light is due to the fact that they are refuting absurd claims by trolls.

Dementor aka Advoc... knows what he's doing.
"Absurd claims by trolls"? We are talking here about Illinois/Chicago forum....

By the way, the claims that are absurd to you may make perfect sesne to someone else. Your post is offensive and grossly off-topic.

Last edited by advocatusdiavoli; 05-25-2009 at 04:50 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 04:27 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,539 times
dont worry about me being taken in by a troll.
I spent 15 years in Chicago

I know Chicago has some very nice beaches and the nations largest beach volleyball league.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Not all of the Chicago trollers are dementor, but advoctus is. The rhetoric is the same, the writing style is the same, the tactic is the same, the vocabulary is the same, the criticisms are the same (right down to his esoteric criticism of Northwestern University's journalism school based on the exact same and completely irrelevant premise -- what are the odds that both have exactly the same criticism of a journalism school on the exact same premise that nobody else cares about?), the background is the same (New Yorker who moved to Chicago for career reasons and can't find one single redeeming quality about it), et cetera. And advocatus' account suddenly springs back to life after 4 months of dormancy within 10 minutes after the last date and time of activity on his "dementor" screen name -- my guess is because he logged into that account and found it's currently under restriction. If it walks, talks, sounds, acts, belches and farts like a duck, it's a duck.

"If more people told the good with the bad" is exactly the issue. Read through dementor's/advocatus' posts and see if he has one remotely positive thing to say about Chicago. The place isn't all strawberries and cream, but as huge and diverse a place it is, how plausible is it that an urbanophile supposedly from NYC can't find one single remotely complimentary thing to say about it? That's the kind of crap most of us are responding to here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City