Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:28 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
LOL see, you've never been to NYC or Long Island. You're basing your opinion on 2 people you know. Very intelligent.
Rachael,

Let them hate on NE, when they do such thing it proves that NE is where is at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 02:32 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Rachael,

Must explain why everyone bashes the south so much

Old 05-25-2009, 02:34 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,685,068 times
LA is not Sprawled it's just to dam car cultured.

LA MSA
MSA - 12,923,547
- Density 2,665/sq. mi.
1,029/km²
Area 4,850 sq. mi.

Ny MSA

- Total-Pop. 18,815,988 (2007 est.)
- Density 2,792/sq. mi.
1,077/km²
Area 6,720 sq. mi.

Clearly Ny is bigger in Area, but the Public trans makes it look very compact and small. LA just to much Freeways and highways.also the Ny Msa has much larger cities, While La's just medium to some high pop. suburban cities.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:34 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Do you need to have been somewhere to have an opinion on it?
Yes I do think that would help form a complete opinion.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:21 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Rachael,

It's not "hate", but frustration. Some of you are truly obnoxious. Your narrow, childish view of the greater world can get stale quickly.
Please stop speaking for "The Northeast" or the "NY Metro" (since that is what we are talking about it this thread). Not everyone is as provincial as you are.
You call it pride, but it's really insecurity. You use your location as a crutch for your personal shortcomings.
How do you expect a FL native to react when you show no tact with your criticism & decide to handle it like a spoiled brat?
Honestly, it's getting quite old.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:23 PM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
History is great to visit and know, but living amongst it is overrated. I prefer clean, modern looking buildings anyway. And by the way, FL's history goes back before NE
Overrated depending on the person since a lot of people actually get a thrill from living in one of the houses due to historical and aesthetic reasons (which you do, so why should anyone argue with you about this?). FL's colonial history may have been longer, but there's also been a lot less to show for all those centuries--little architecture, culture, monuments, practices, etc. can hearken back to the colonial days.

Anyhow, the Taiheiyo belt probably has the NE corridor beat in a large number of categories, and I'd personally take San-San (if that's legitimate (if not, then the Bay Area alone is enough for me) or "the Blue Banana" over the NE corridor.

Also, the Northeast corridor is a huge amount of sprawl. I don't see how this is arguable given how expansive the metro region is and the huge number of bedroom/breeder/feeder communities that blossomed from the 50s and onwards. I'll argue that the sprawl in the corridor is better than the sprawl in much of the rest of the US due to good mass transit, but it doesn't change that there's a huge amount of sprawl.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Anyhow, the Taiheiyo belt probably has the NE corridor beat in a large number of categories, and I'd personally take San-San (if that's legitimate (if not, then the Bay Area alone is enough for me) or "the Blue Banana" over the NE corridor.

Also, the Northeast corridor is a huge amount of sprawl. I don't see how this is arguable given how expansive the metro region is and the huge number of bedroom/breeder/feeder communities that blossomed from the 50s and onwards. I'll argue that the sprawl in the corridor is better than the sprawl in much of the rest of the US due to good mass transit, but it doesn't change that there's a huge amount of sprawl.
San Jose, Sacramento are a sprawl CITIES on top of your suburban sprawl.
The NE sprawl is at least broken up by REAL, compact, walkable urbanity.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:19 AM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
San Jose, Sacramento are a sprawl CITIES on top of your suburban sprawl.
The NE sprawl is at least broken up by REAL, compact, walkable urbanity.
Pfft, like I don't know there's sprawl everywhere in the US (though the case for Sacramento as a sprawl city is pretty flimsy given how bloated California's state government is). I didn't argue there wasn't sprawl elsewhere or that there NE sprawl doesn't have a few almost-saving graces. The only argument is against people saying there isn't sprawl in the corridor--which is absolutely silly.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The only argument is against people saying there isn't sprawl in the corridor--which is absolutely silly.
Understood..............

Old 06-02-2009, 06:08 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Please get back on the original topic and report any post that does not follow the Terms of Service

e civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions
. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City