Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which unique housing style do you like best?
Chicago Greystone 8 9.09%
Chicago Bungalow 7 7.95%
New York Brownstone 22 25.00%
Philadelphia Row 16 18.18%
San Francisco Painted Lady 14 15.91%
New Orleans Shotgun House 6 6.82%
Other (name) 15 17.05%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:23 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Stapleton is pretty cool, but I found some of the parks to be underwhelming. I remember there was one that was very nice...I'm assuming that was Central Park. But I remember a few that were just open fields with walkways in them. Perhaps they were just temporary areas waiting to get developed? Maybe I'm just being picky, I really like manicured parks.
You're probably referring to Westerly Creek Park as open with walkways. Greenway Park is similar, but has more planted trees. Central Park is the nicest one, and of course with it all being new it will take the trees planted a while to grow. There is also a nature park at Bluff Lake. So there's a variety all right there in Stapleton. Not to mention the variety in Denver in general, from Washington Park to City Park to Red Rocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 01:47 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
You're probably referring to Westerly Creek Park as open with walkways. Greenway Park is similar, but has more planted trees. Central Park is the nicest one, and of course with it all being new it will take the trees planted a while to grow. There is also a nature park at Bluff Lake. So there's a variety all right there in Stapleton. Not to mention the variety in Denver in general, from Washington Park to City Park to Red Rocks.
Westerly Creek Park was exactly what I'm talking about (I checked Live Maps haha)...however it looks much better from the satellite shot now than when I was there. Greenway Park is the park I liked before, mainly because of the trees...where is Central Park? Is it the park located right next to downtown? If so, I'm a little embarrased for not knowing that...my parents had an apartment in the northern curved building surrounding downtown. I remember there being a fountain too, which was very nice.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:53 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Milwaukee has two distinct style houses, 1) the bungalow and the tall wide home I don't know the name or style though.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Although like in Chicago we are seeing a lot of new style row style homes

http://www.biztimes.com/nf/uploads/Image/reweekly4-01-2008/terrrace-row.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-27-2009, 02:48 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Default Very nice pictures..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Milwaukee has two distinct style houses, 1) the bungalow and the tall wide home I don't know the name or style though.

..of older homes in Milwaukee; when I lived in Madison, I visitied Milwaukee many times, and these pictures remind me of the neighborhoods around UW-Milwaukee and of the homes overlooking Lake Michigan. The views of the lake from the shore are outstanding, and often better than looking at the Atlantic Ocean from towns near Boston. The moral of the story: don't underestimate lakes...

The bungalow is very reminiscient of Chicago, and the two cities certainly share a similar appearance, especially when comparing the physical appearance of their neighborhoods.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:08 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Default Great pictures ..

Quote:
Just finished editing my post showing the beautiful homes of Back Bay in Boston, however it got bumped to the prior page, so check out Page 7 if you'd like to see what Boston has.
..of Copley Square and Back Bay; I pass through these neighborhoods at least several times a week. I do enjoy looking at the "bow" front brick homes along Boylston and Commonwealth Avenue. Some sections around Beacon Hill are quite ornate, too.

I guess in some ways you could call these "row" homes, but when I think of row houses, I think of those flat, two-story brick homes which dominate the landscapes of Philadelphia and Baltimore, but unfortunately have fallen into disrepair in many neighborhoods in those two cities( see North Philly, West Philly, much of Baltimore). I suppose that at one time, these areas were attractive, but now they are just grim and dilapidated.

In contrast, many of the bungalows in Chicago, while small, can be quite attractive. I walked through neighborhoods about 2 miles west of Wrigley Field and found streets lined with red, brick bungalows, with neatly-manicured front lawns, and nice porches to relax on during a mild spring day.

I also love the pictures of the craftsman-style bungalows in Portland, OR. These homes are very attractive, very ornate with great attention to detail, and of course, very photogenic. I must remind myself to book a trip to Portland sometime soon..

Old 05-27-2009, 03:34 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Although like in Chicago we are seeing a lot of new style row style homes

The last picture is the only decent looking one. Those modern style row homes are such an eye sore.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:36 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
..of Copley Square and Back Bay; I pass through these neighborhoods at least several times a week. I do enjoy looking at the "bow" front brick homes along Boylston and Commonwealth Avenue. Some sections around Beacon Hill are quite ornate, too.

I guess in some ways you could call these "row" homes, but when I think of row houses, I think of those flat, two-story brick homes which dominate the landscapes of Philadelphia and Baltimore
Thanks for the compliment! I always label any development such as the ones I posted as "rowhomes"....is there a more accurate description? Whatever they are, I love them haha. I definitely consider them to be among the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful, low-rise buildings in the country. Back Bay is a non-stop feast for the eyes.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Westerly Creek Park was exactly what I'm talking about (I checked Live Maps haha)...however it looks much better from the satellite shot now than when I was there. Greenway Park is the park I liked before, mainly because of the trees...where is Central Park? Is it the park located right next to downtown? If so, I'm a little embarrased for not knowing that...my parents had an apartment in the northern curved building surrounding downtown. I remember there being a fountain too, which was very nice.
Central Park is in Stapleton just north of MLK Blvd. It's newer. The park closer to downtown is City Park. Washington Park, which is southeast of downtown, is the most popular park in Denver. Probably because it's got mature trees and a lake and flower gardens.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Wow, I REALLY like the "tall wide" ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City