Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,009,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
beautiful. Seattle has one of the nation's 8 barneys new york stores, and it is downtown. Unbelievable for a city of this size, and without any rapid transit system. The pictures also show a variety of affordable stores. Downtown seattle is really very successful in retail and street life. It must have done something extremely effective in attracting people to downtown. the only other cities that have a barneys are ny, la, chicago, boston, dallas, sf and las vegas.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 04:19 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,993,970 times
What are you laughing at? Barneys New York Store Locations and Hours

If you are referring to the Barney COOP stores, they are not department stores, but just kinda like a small boutique selling their only Barneys brand. They can be neglected. The same is true for their outlet. Their outlets are usually depressing. They seem to have a different outlet concept than Saks Off Fifth and Neiman Marcus Last Call. Phoenix was also planning to open a real Barneys New York store, but I don't know how that turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
lol

Last edited by fashionguy; 06-07-2009 at 04:46 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 04:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
lol
I think Atlanta will be next because they have a supposedly huge trade market.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:54 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,180,601 times
I cant say most people care whether their city has a Barney's the Dinosaur store or not...

Old 06-07-2009, 04:57 PM

True. But when a reputational department store opens a flagship somewhere, they do research about the market, foot traffic, etc. It is still interesting to discuss about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I cant say most people care whether their city has a Barney's the Dinosaur store or not...

Old 06-07-2009, 05:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Yeah, I think people get more excited about stores like H&M or Macy's. You know, stores that are actually within most of our budgets.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:34 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,009,038 times
Quote:
What are you laughing at? Barneys New York Store Locations and Hours

If you are referring to the Barney COOP stores, they are not department stores, but just kinda like a small boutique selling their only Barneys brand. They can be neglected. The same is true for their outlet. Their outlets are usually depressing. They seem to have a different outlet concept than Saks Off Fifth and Neiman Marcus Last Call. Phoenix was also planning to open a real Barneys New York store, but I don't know how that turned out.
I was laughing when you stated that Barneys New York had locations in NY, etc

Old 06-07-2009, 07:28 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,199,221 times
Here's Downtown San Francisco from some different angles rather than the typical Golden Gate Bridge, Treasure Island, or Twin Peaks vantage points:

You can See Downtown Oakland in the back here, just a 10 minute BART ride from Downtown SF.

And here you see Downtown Oakland In The foreground:

Downtown San Francisco is everything you see in this picture pretty much, plus a little more off the edges of the frame to the left and right:

As you can see it's pretty sizable...if developers had had their way during the 70's and 80's, the whole stretch from the towers in Civic Center, in the foreground, to the Financial District in the back would likely have also been full of high rises by now. Here's the population of the residents living in and immediately around downtown SF, by zip code (it's not exact, as some zip codes extend past downtown's boundaries):

94102 - 28,991
94103 - 23,016
94104 - 374
94105 - 2,058
94107 - 17,368
94108 - 13,716
94109 - 56,322
94111 - 3,335
94133 - 26,827

total = 172,007

That's all in an area of 7.6 square miles, so that makes a population density of 22,632 per square mile, and that's including sizable, relatively unpopulated areas such as the Financial District, and old industrial parts of SOMA and Potrero Hill/the Central Waterfront. I think it would be safe to guess that a good 80-100,000 or so of those 172,000 residents actually live in downtown SF. If we're talking about strictly the financial district, than the population is maybe about 4-5,000, in an area of around 0.6 square miles...so a population density of around 6 or 7,000 per square mile (compare that to the neighboring tenderloin and Chinatown, each with 50,000+ per square mile). I'd say all of Downtown SF is around 4 square miles or so.

As for what its like at street level....there's two subways (BART and Muni Metro), cable cars, historic street cars, an army of buses and taxis, lots of traffic, one of the busiest most upscale shopping districts in the country, a stock exchange, a former US mint, theaters, expensive hotels, cheap hotels, residential hotels, strip clubs, night clubs, liquor stores, cheap chinese food, vietnamese food, mexican food, indian food, as well as tons of upscale dining, hot dog and pretzel stands, farmer's markets, people selling stuff on the street, schools, the county jail, two police stations (the tenderloin gets it's own), city hall, county court house, two federal buildings, the headquarters of the 9th circuit court of the US, the SF public school district administrative building, the SF department of Public Health building, the headquarters of quite a few corporations (including Wells Fargo, Bechtel, PG&E, GAP, McKesson, Visa, Charles Schwab, Barclays Global Investors, to name a few, and until several years ago, Chevron and Bank of America) a convention center (7th largest in the US), music venues, museums, an opera house, symphony hall, ferry and bus terminals, movie theaters, shopping malls, old warehouses, parks, a train terminal, ballpark, piers, rich people, poor people, hordes of tourists, shoppers, businessmen, retail workers, street performers, protesters and activists of every kind, drug dealers, drug addicts, homeless people, students, Asian and Latino immigrants, etc, etc. It's a very diverse, very busy place.

I think Downtown SF in general may be a bit underrated by those who haven't been here before.

Last edited by rah; 06-07-2009 at 08:22 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 11:15 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,180,601 times
Quote:
True. But when a reputational department store opens a flagship somewhere, they do research about the market, foot traffic, etc. It is still interesting to discuss about.
Well they're not doing good research, because we have the largest mall in the U.S. in the Philly suburbs. I could care less about Barney the Dinosaur stores, though

Old 06-07-2009, 11:23 PM

Yes, and it has fewer stores than what we have in Mall of America here in Minneapolis. But Mall of America is rather ordinary and doesn't offer much variety of choices. Most of the stores can be found in any suburban mall. King of Prussia is OK compared to Mall of America, but not the best in my opinion.

Anyways, this is about downtown. I think downtown Seattle is a little better than downtown Philly in terms of shopping. Downtown philly is on Portland's level in this aspect. I mean only in this aspect. Pilly offers a lot more in other aspects.

Quote:
Well they're not doing good research, because we have the largest mall in the U.S. in the Philly suburbs. I could care less about Barney the Dinosaur stores, though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City