Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 12:51 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
What if your not an outdoorsy type of person and would rather go boating or to a nice upscale lounge instead. Would Denver be for that type of person? the condo dwelling yuppie?
If you didn't mind the Rocky Mountains as a backdrop, you could drive out of the city and go boating at Lake Granby. But then again boating IS an outdoorsy type of activity, so if you like boating then it seems you would have to be an outdoorsy type of person.

There are downtown Denver condos, and upscale places to lounge as well. And even plenty of culture at the 2nd largest performing arts complex in the nation within walking distance of those downtown condos. It's possible for a condo dwelling yuppie to like Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:54 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Sorry there are 63k living in downtown Denver - already provided the link for that.

Milwaukee has only two buildings over 300ft that are residential, denver has at least ten and its tallest residential will be taller than milwaukee's tallest office building - four seasons 640 ft.

Who are you trying to fool here Jacob? Milwaukee a bastion for downtown living? I cerntainly wouldnt say that for denver either but you're just delusional about your city man. You make it sound like Milwaukee is a model for downtown living How many people say, hey, lets live the highrise life in Milwaukee!!!
I highly doubt there is 63,000 people living in downtown Denver. That would put it in the same level as cities like Boston, Chicago and Philadelphia (which it's not). According to LiveDowntownDenver there are 9,000 people living in downtown Denver, with 83,000 living in Center City.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Quote:
so if you like boating then it seems you would have to be an outdoorsy type of person.
We'll I hate camping, hiking, skiing, snowboarding but I love sailing now is there anywhere to go sailing out in Colo.

PS: the Rockies might sweep us today!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,629 times
Quote:
What if your not an outdoorsy type of person and would rather go boating or to a nice upscale lounge instead. Would Denver be for that type of person? the condo dwelling yuppie?
Have you been here? Lodo and yuppie are almost synonymous. Want an upscale lounge in the sky? Peak's lounge in the Hyatt regency offers views of DT and the rockies from the 27th floor.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:08 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Sorry there are 63k living in downtown Denver - already provided the link for that.
Yes, you keep repeating that fallacy as though it were true. If you can start claiming neighborhoods like Capitol Hill and Highlands as being part of Downtown Denver, then I'm going to start claiming Bay View and Riverwest as part of Downtown Milwaukee. The neighborhoods of the Central Platte Valley, the Central Business District, and LoDo, also known as Downtown Denver, is home to 10,000 residents. Westown, Easttown, and the Third Ward, also known as Downtown Milwaukee, is home to 25,000 residents. We already know Milwaukee has a much higher population density than Denver does, so if I were to include everything within a 1.5 mile radius from Downtown Milwaukee, we would have significantly more people than Downtown Denver.

Quote:
Milwaukee has only two buildings over 300ft that are residential, denver has at least ten and its tallest residential will be taller than milwaukee's tallest office building - four seasons 640 ft.
So what? Where did this magical 300 feet number come from anyways? I'm pretty sure a 10 story building is still considered a highrise.

Quote:
Who are you trying to fool here Jacob? Milwaukee a bastion for downtown living? I cerntainly wouldnt say that for denver either but you're just delusional about your city man. You make it sound like Milwaukee is a model for downtown living How many people say, hey, lets live the highrise life in Milwaukee!!!
I'd say about 25,000 or so people must be saying that to themselves.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I highly doubt there is 63,000 people living in downtown Denver. That would put it in the same level as cities like Boston, Chicago and Philadelphia (which it's not). According to LiveDowntownDenver there are 9,000 people living in downtown Denver, with 83,000 living in Center City.
I already posted the link. I have already explained the difference between a CBD pop (Denver 10k) and a downtown area pop (Denver 63k). Please try to catch up.

[LEFT]Downtown residents (1.5 mile radius): 63,000

Downtown (CBD, LoDo & CPV) average effective buying income, 2007: $66,634
Downtown student population: approximately 55,400
Downtown workforce: 110,000
Population and workforce projections, by 2030: 25,000 more residents and 35,000 more workers
Residential units planned/under construction: over 3,500
Downtown shops/restaurants: more than 1,000
16th Street Mall shuttle, Sep. 2006 to Sep. 2007: over 50,200 boardings daily
Downtown light rail stations: 32,000 passengers each weekday[/LEFT]

Downtown parking spaces: 44,000
http://www.downtowndenver.com/Econom...sion_Dec08.pdf (broken link)

Old 06-11-2009, 01:09 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Quote:
Have you been here?
No, I have fam in Denver(south suburbs) and I have always wanted to go. I hear they have a bar named Milwaukee Street???

Old 06-11-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Yes, you keep repeating that fallacy as though it were true. If you can start claiming neighborhoods like Capitol Hill and Highlands as being part of Downtown Denver, then I'm going to start claiming Bay View and Riverwest as part of Downtown Milwaukee. The neighborhoods of the Central Platte Valley, the Central Business District, and LoDo, also known as Downtown Denver, is home to 10,000 residents. Westown, Easttown, and the Third Ward, also known as Downtown Milwaukee, is home to 25,000 residents. We already know Milwaukee has a much higher population density than Denver does, so if I were to include everything within a 1.5 mile radius from Downtown Milwaukee, we would have significantly more people than Downtown Denver.

So what? Where did this magical 300 feet number come from anyways? I'm pretty sure a 10 story building is still considered a highrise.

I'd say about 25,000 or so people must be saying that to themselves.
Hey jacob, go look up the word "fallacy". You obviously dont know what it means if you think it involves disagreeing about a fact.

I have posted a link showing Denver's downtown pop. Nuff said there

The reason Denver's downtown is larger in area then Milwaukee's downtown is because it is more developed. Thats why its Denver is the 10th largest CBD and Milwaukee is the 26th... I don't know why you keep complaining about this.

Ten story highrises? Um ok but how does that make Milwaukee a bastion of highrise living? I mean really...

Maybe compared to Greenbay or something...

Denver's density is affected by the second largest airport in the world (DIA 53 sq miles) in its city limit. Subtract that and you get 6000k per square mile for denver. Yes, we surpassed the 600k mark recently.

Last edited by D-town 720; 06-11-2009 at 01:32 PM..

Old 06-11-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
No, I have fam in Denver(south suburbs) and I have always wanted to go. I hear they have a bar named Milwaukee Street???
You are correct. Its in cherry creek on Milwaukee street - Milwaukee street tavern

Old 06-11-2009, 01:31 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
I was talking about downtown, and the portion of Cherry Creek I was talking about is downtown. Again, Cherry Creek empties into the Platte just south of 15th street. And again I ask, especially since you say you lived in Denver, when you are on Wewatta Street downtown, what is it that you cross over just before you get to Speer Blvd? Can you tell me?
I'm sorry MantaRay, I jumped the gun and thought you were talking about the Cherry Creek neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City