Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 07:11 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times

Advertisements

94.7% of the people i grew up with in CT either live in NY, CT, MA, NJ, PA, MD , DC

so i think it does exist

and 75% of them live in NYC. thanks to facebook

Last edited by john_starks; 07-17-2010 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 07:16 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Further Inland you hit areas like Albany, Scranton, Harrisburgh and to the south is Richmond. Remember there a pretty sizable and wide mountain range that starts usually about 30-50 miles west of the megalopolis and can be as wide as 200 miles east to west in certain areas
I figured it might be a large block in development. Though I could see development occuring along transportation corridors across it and up river valleys.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:49 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
The Northeastern Megalopolis

35 Million use Transit each day

Location: The Northeast and Mid-Atlantic seaboard - From Northern Virginia to Southern Maine, bounded by the Appalachian Mountains to the west by the Appalachian Mountains to the west.

Principal Cities: Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C.

Population 2000: 49,563,296

Percent of U.S. Population: 18%

Population 2025: 58,124,740

Projected Growth: 18%

2005 GDP: $2,591,075,000,000

Percent of US GDP: 21%

Old 07-18-2010, 12:20 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,303,190 times
Yea, BoWash definitely exist. And to address the rural communities in this area, these areas are important too, they provide much of the food for the area and provide another industry. The rural communities are tied to the urban fabric, and no matter how urban a place is, it needs the local farmers. It provides competition to keep imported foods from going so high.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:18 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Yea, BoWash definitely exist. And to address the rural communities in this area, these areas are important too, they provide much of the food for the area and provide another industry. The rural communities are tied to the urban fabric, and no matter how urban a place is, it needs the local farmers. It provides competition to keep imported foods from going so high.

Very good point, I love getting fresh produce, especially this time of year. Another thing the area actually has great access to, New Jersey (the Garden State) and areas like Lancaster PA offer some of the best farmland in the country, this is not always something thought of in the region but these areas (an others like inland MD and VA along with the DELMARVA peninsula) offer a wide variety of fresh produce and fertile lands not to mention fresh seafod too. But no warm weather fruits

Old 07-18-2010, 01:33 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,303,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Very good point, I love getting fresh produce, especially this time of year. Another thing the area actually has great access to, New Jersey (the Garden State) and areas like Lancaster PA offer some of the best farmland in the country, this is not always something thought of in the region but these areas (an others like inland MD and VA along with the DELMARVA peninsula) offer a wide variety of fresh produce and fertile lands not to mention fresh seafod too. But no warm weather fruits
I figured it was necessary to point that out. So many times when we think of metros we think of MSAs as being super urban and progressive when there is less rural farmland. But these areas are also integrated into the urban fabric and vice versa. Probably one of the best examples of this and mega regions is the Great Lakes with Twin Cities, Chicago, and Milwaukee for instance building financial service industries that include agricultural commodities.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I figured it was necessary to point that out. So many times when we think of metros we think of MSAs as being super urban and progressive when there is less rural farmland. But these areas are also integrated into the urban fabric and vice versa. Probably one of the best examples of this and mega regions is the Great Lakes with Twin Cities, Chicago, and Milwaukee for instance building financial service industries that include agricultural commodities.

Even the largest and most urban areas have much influence from all things agrarian. Take the mushroom production in Chester County PA, actually part of the Philly MSA - it accounts for 1/3rd of all mushrooms consumed in the US and is big business

Kennett Square, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-18-2010, 03:00 PM

139 posts, read 207,710 times
Of course it exists. I lived in Brooklyn for a number of years and regularly took the train to Boston and DC. For American cities, this is a very unique urban concept. Now go to Japan, and virtually the whole nation is like that.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:35 PM

6,074 posts, read 9,098,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
Of course it exists. I lived in Brooklyn for a number of years and regularly took the train to Boston and DC. For American cities, this is a very unique urban concept. Now go to Japan, and virtually the whole nation is like that.
Japan by far

Old 07-18-2010, 11:12 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times
I've lived in the Bos-Wash megalopolis all my life but never really thought twice about the term really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City