Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Can you let us know how surface streets factor into this Megapolis thread?
I think he means that if Boston to D.C. being designated as a super metro, the megalopolis then you should be able to easily use a commercial street or surface street to traverse from one end of the megalopolis to the other.

To answer his question, such a phenomenon is practically unheard of in the NEC. You can do this in large metros, think Chicago to a western burb where a highway and expressway is not always necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 08:42 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
Former resident of Brooklyn here.

There are breaks. First break I noticed was between Baltimore and Philly, in Cecil near the river for about 10 miles or less. Next break is smaller but between Philly and NYC between Trenton and Princeton, a few miles. The largest break is between NYC and Boston, between Springfield and Worcestor I think 30 miles or more.

The region can be called a megalopolis, the cities are close to each other but IMO density and cohesion are not the NEC's strong suit. At least not compared to two or three other megalopolises in the world with even larger populations. PRD, JM, and BB.
Compared to the rest of the country the Northeast Corridor has the most density and cohesiveness when you are looking at the region as a whole.
Nice of you to leave that part out buddy.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Compared to the rest of the country the Northeast Corridor has the most density and cohesiveness when you are looking at the region as a whole.
Nice of you to leave that part out buddy.
IDC frankly. What is your point bringing that up when I never compared it to the rest of the U.S.?

Last edited by BLAXTOR; 08-13-2013 at 10:04 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 08:50 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
The region can be called a megalopolis, the cities are close to each other but IMO density and cohesion are not the NEC's strong suit. At least not compared to two or three other megalopolises in the world with even larger populations. PRD, JM, and BB.
Excuse me. I'm not so good on acronyms. What are those?

Old 08-13-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Excuse me. I'm not so good on acronyms. What are those?
Pearl River, Taiheiyo Belt, Blue Banana.

I live in BB now, only major break is the English Channel and central west Germany. The latter break being a drop in density not development, still higher density than most of intermediate NEC.

Last edited by BLAXTOR; 08-13-2013 at 09:03 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Pearl River, Taiheyo Belt, Blue Banana.

I live in BB now, only major break is the English Channel and central west Germany.
Ah, ok. I've lived on the Taiheyo Belt. I've never driven it, though I have rode local/express trains from Tokyo to Fukuoka. It was a pretty cool experience, but I can't even slightly tell you if it counts as completely built (some of the routes were quite scenic, though).

Old 08-13-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Ah, ok. I've lived on the Taiheyo Belt. I've never driven it, though I have rode local/express trains from Tokyo to Fukuoka. It was a pretty cool experience, but I can't even slightly tell you if it counts as completely built (some of the routes were quite scenic, though).
The bays distract full development but it stays densely connected along the coast, ringing it and connecting Tokyo-Nagoya-Osaka. In much less land area nearly doubles the NEC's population in the process.

Most impressive megalopolis in the world for dense continuation IMO.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:09 PM

Do Fukuoka and Hiroshima count, or is that too broad?

Old 08-13-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Do Fukuoka and Hiroshima count, or is that too broad?
More broad, even though the developments continue to Fukuoka where it eventually terminates.

Forgot to mention but YRD can also be in the discussion, I think the most populous and densest of the 4. Yangtze River Delta. 115 million inhabitants in 39,000 square miles.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:19 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
More broad, even though the developments continue to Fukuoka where it eventually terminates.

Forgot to mention but YRD can also be in the discussion, I think the most populous and densest of the 4. Yangtze River Delta. 115 million inhabitants in 39,000 square miles.
Yeah, but who cares about that? The northeastern United States is so much RICHER along with being well-developed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City