Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 04:05 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

I agree, they ALL share the same characteristics, EXCEPT, maybe DC. DC felt like the northeast but with it's own TWIST(if that makes since). It just didn't feel like the other noertheastern cities to me. But Philly flet like NJ, which felt like NYC, which felt like(I HEARD) Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 02:02 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It just didn't feel like the other noertheastern cities to me. But Philly flet like NJ, which felt like NYC, which felt like(I HEARD) Boston.
I don't know.. everyone says that Boston is just a mini-NYC, but I don't think so at all. Boston has it's own unique identity which I really like.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I don't know.. everyone says that Boston is just a mini-NYC, but I don't think so at all. Boston has it's own unique identity which I really like.
It is a mini-NYC, NYC is a LARGE NJ, and NJ is a LARGE Philly. And DC is it's own character. They ALL feltthe same to me, except boston I havent been to boston, But Philly looked like NJ to me.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:12 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It is a mini-NYC, NYC is a LARGE NJ, and NJ is a LARGE Philly. And DC is it's own character. They ALL feltthe same to me, except boston I havent been to boston, But Philly looked like NJ to me.
well it is across the river

i agree with DC having a different twist on the northeast look..i even think baltimore looks more northeast than DC..

but DC definitely has the northeast mentality/vibe down

Old 06-02-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
well it is across the river

i agree with DC having a different twist on the northeast look..i even think baltimore looks more northeast than DC..

but DC definitely has the northeast mentality/vibe down
I agree. I think DC is different from the rest because it has the same urbanity, and it's REALLY walkable, and it has GREAT public transit, BUT it dosent have a skyline like the rest of the cities. That's what I think. Oh and because it's closer to the south.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:54 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
^^ yes, the whole VA location adds to that. but i agree, that there is a "hint" of southern culture in DC. its more green and the air quality seems fresher than its northern brethren......i don't know, there are parts that remind me of a mix of a j.crew catalog and "dawson's creek"

Old 06-02-2009, 03:41 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
I don't know about southern culture in DC but it is different. Downtown is filled with street after street of lowrise canyons. The Mall gives DC a unique feel because its two miles of open space, greenery and water. But if you venture into the neighborhoods, it is definitely northeast. Rowhomes, people walking or sitting on their stoops, corner stores, eateries, which represent urban activity.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:18 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times
I think people have different opinions on DC because it's changing so fast. Most cities you can say you visited 10 years ago and have a good feel for it. DC isn't like that. It is one of the most gentrified cities in the country so it is much nicer. I also feel that is has more of that northeastern vibe now. Part of this is because the high number of transplants.(Many coming from other northeastern cities.) There are many new jobs and the economy is still good. The population is growing and the public transit is great.

Some people mentioned how it doesn't have skyscrapers. I don't really see that as a bad thing. It still has TONS of high rises. I also think that having no skyscrapers looks nice and different. It was designed after Paris, and many people on here claim to love that city. They both have similar layouts, have traffic circles, no skyscrapers, and a monument(Eiffel Tower) towering over the city. Paris does have skyscrapers in La Defense, a suburb, but so does DC. DC has them in Rosslyn, Arlington, VA and Bethesda, MD. Then one of the busiest business districts in the country in Tysons Corner, VA.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
I think people have different opinions on DC because it's changing so fast. Most cities you can say you visited 10 years ago and have a good feel for it. DC isn't like that. It is one of the most gentrified cities in the country so it is much nicer. I also feel that is has more of that northeastern vibe now. Part of this is because the high number of transplants.(Many coming from other northeastern cities.) There are many new jobs and the economy is still good. The population is growing and the public transit is great.

Some people mentioned how it doesn't have skyscrapers. I don't really see that as a bad thing. It still has TONS of high rises. I also think that having no skyscrapers looks nice and different. It was designed after Paris, and many people on here claim to love that city. They both have similar layouts, have traffic circles, no skyscrapers, and a monument(Eiffel Tower) towering over the city. Paris does have skyscrapers in La Defense, a suburb, but so does DC. DC has them in Rosslyn, Arlington, VA and Bethesda, MD. Then one of the busiest business districts in the country in Tysons Corner, VA.
That's why I like DC. Because it dosent have all the skyscrapers like the traditional cities. But yet it's still urban. And DC looks SOOOOOO clean compared to it's northern counterparts(NYC Philly Boston Jersey). And DC has that NEW urbanism look. Not that gritty look, that' overplayed. Places like Arlington, Rosslyn, and Bethesda look more apealing to me, then the suburbs of the cities afformetioned cities to the northern half of BosWash.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:59 PM

810 posts, read 2,161,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
^^ yes, the whole VA location adds to that. but i agree, that there is a "hint" of southern culture in DC. its more green and the air quality seems fresher than its northern brethren......i don't know, there are parts that remind me of a mix of a j.crew catalog and "dawson's creek"
lol dawsons creek was set in new england i think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City