Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Inland or coastal?
Inland 11 9.40%
Coastal 75 64.10%
Along a lake 14 11.97%
Along a river 17 14.53%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:34 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,782,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
A great mid sized river city is Boise. What makes the river so great is that it still looks natural with wildlife refuges, parks, a greenbelt along its course through the city. There are buildings along the banks in some areas of the city but they are set back to not disturb the nature. I have always been disappointed with cities, mainly much larger cities that have turned their so called rivers into concrete canals with highrises and buildings built right on the concrete banks. In that case I think the river has been raped and is more artificial than natural.
I think the canals look beautiful in European cities. I'm not familiar with the canals in the U.S. except for the Riverwalk in San Antonio which I'm not a fan of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 05:32 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,398,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think the canals look beautiful in European cities. I'm not familiar with the canals in the U.S. except for the Riverwalk in San Antonio which I'm not a fan of.
We have some canals in Southern California.

Long Beach's Canals off of Alamitos Bay

The canals in Los Angeles' Venice neighborhood

Old 05-31-2009, 05:47 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,669,367 times
^^ Nice!

Old 05-31-2009, 07:48 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,454,507 times
i prefer coastal, but it means nothing to me really outside of a nice backdrop. i was born in on of the greatest coastal cities in the world......and i don't need a tan....not that important to me....

Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 AM

10,645 posts, read 15,912,038 times
I would never live in a city without a ocean within a 2 hour car drive.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
I think most people prefer coastal cities. The question is, do you want to pay for them?

Old 05-08-2022, 09:56 AM

402 posts, read 267,286 times
An ancient thread but why make a new one? I voted for coastal. Every time I've go to a small town in the mounains I start getting cabin fever.

On the other hand when in a tiny coastal town I quite enjoy being able to walk on the beach. I could spend all day on the beach and then some in fact and I don't seem to mind if the town is sleepy.

Another benefit with coastal towns is that most of them are in fact often parts of whole suburban strips, or otherwise never too far away from larger towns and even cities (cos most people prefer living by the coasts!).

So what about inland towns and cities?
Well for me to not get cabin fever they have to be 1) Sized above 60,000 (preferably 100k or larger), 2) have a university AND 3) be on a large river.

Number 1 and 3 are my must-haves as I lived in a 30k and 2k inland college towns on tiny rivers and they were not my thing. A uni town on the Mississippi? More like my thing! But I consider even the river in Zilina, Slovakia large enough for me (coming from Sofia, Bulgaria with our tiny streams ).

Why having a college/uni is good? It attracts young people so that attracts more businesses and hip places. As for lakes it depends, some lakes I like, others I hate. I generally prefer lakes and dams that look/feel like seas (Chicago, the Balaton lake in Hungary) or rivers (Liptovská Mara). I ma not crazy about most lakes but I like Austrian lakes though.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:52 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,408,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
West coast is beautiful. My favorite coast in the U.S.

My favorite coast in the world would be the Australian coast or the Meditteranean (sorry I can't spell) coast.
I know this is an old post/thread, but could you be a bit more specific? The Australian coastline is 16K miles, and the Mediterranean is 28K miles.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:03 AM

817 posts, read 606,713 times
I was born and raised 12 miles away from the ocean so I definitely would prefer coastal cities.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:20 AM

402 posts, read 267,286 times
Oh actually almost every town or city I like worldwide is by an ocean, sea, big (or adequate) river or lake: NY, San Diego, LA, Melbourne, Sydney, Stockholm, Chicago, Buenos Aires, Lisbon, Porto, Funchal, Faro, Lagos (Portugal), Athens (Greece), Budapest, Bratislava, Zilina, Prague, Vienna, Varna, the small towns north and south of Burgas, Ruse, Gibraltar, various towns on Greek islands, the Canary Islands, the Spanish costas, Malta, various towns along the Balaton lake in Hungary and the Austrian lake district. So I guess I feel better by lots of water. The only water-poor inland cities I like seem to be my home city of Sofia, Bulgaria and Debrecen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City