Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 05:14 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't think there are any bad zoos anywhere. I love seeing animals period.
I don't know. I've seen some zoos where animals were kept in terribly dirty and undersized habitats. I would call any zoo that does a poor job of keeping the animals in humane environments a bad zoo. Furthermore, some zoos just have a mediocre selection of animals. I agree that animals are fun to see, but I've seem some BAD zoos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Stone zoo
Stoneham, MA
Yuck, that's a bad one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 05:16 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Little Rock Zoo - Little Rock, Arkansas.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:19 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I don't know. I've seen some zoos where animals were kept in terribly dirty and undersized habitats. I would call any zoo that does a poor job of keeping the animals in humane environments a bad zoo. Furthermore, some zoos just have a mediocre selection of animals. I agree that animals are fun to see, but I've seem some BAD zoos.

Yuck, that's a bad one.

Yeah, in my opinion the worst zoos are those that don't care enough for the animals, because that's just plain sad. But as far as zoos that aren't as entertaining, I don't really mind. As long as it has animals and it's clean, I'd be fine with it. I'm not difficult to please.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah, in my opinion the worst zoos are those that don't care enough for the animals, because that's just plain sad. But as far as zoos that aren't as entertaining, I don't really mind. As long as it has animals and it's clean, I'd be fine with it. I'm not difficult to please.
really Rachael???

Old 06-07-2009, 06:47 PM
koi

18 posts, read 40,992 times
The Kansas City zoo is a terrible zoo. You walk forever and see very few animals. What's even worse is that a city-wide tax levy was passed in the early 90s to improve the zoo, and it did in fact double the size and improve it to some degree, but it still is a terrible zoo.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:53 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
This thread is veering off the original subject matter. Please get back to the original topic or the thread will be closed.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:23 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,263,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Your photos don't look that bad. Looks like a fun place for childern. Is it really that bad?
Yes, unfortunately it is. The facilities are antiquated, the herpatarium is hopelessly cramped, and the whole zoo just has a negative ambience about it; I can not really explain it.

It is further exacerbated by the fact that the neighborhood surrounding the zoo is not quite the best, and it is in direct competition with the larger (and far superior) Fort Worth Zoo.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:49 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
I wouldn't call it a bad zoo, really, but I found the National Zoo in Washington DC to be a bit of a disappointment. Some of the exhibit areas were empty when I visited a couple of years ago, and it's not all that large. A friend I went with said it's been getting worse in the past few years. I expected more.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koi View Post
The Kansas City zoo is a terrible zoo. You walk forever and see very few animals. What's even worse is that a city-wide tax levy was passed in the early 90s to improve the zoo, and it did in fact double the size and improve it to some degree, but it still is a terrible zoo.
You're not serious are you? It was ranked last year in "America's Best Zoos" as having the best African animals exhibts in the country, as well as having the best Chimp and Kangaroo exhibits in the country. Not to mention they opened a great indoor rainforest exhibit this year and will be bringing in a brand new polar bear exhibit for next year.

Of course the zoo is big and the exhibits are big as well. I much prefer that than having all the animals in small cages so that visitors can see them. Just because you may not like walking or like it when the animals can be hidden from view doesn't mean its a terrible zoo. In fact, that a pretty laughable statement.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:23 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
The Louisville Zoo is nice, but apparently it's monorail system isn't

The Associated Press: Louisville Zoo train derails, injuring at least 22

I'm just glad it didn't derail over the lion's den or alligator swamp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City