Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:24 AM

734 posts, read 2,045,780 times

Advertisements

Hawaii's not my favorite place in the country, but the weather is just about obviously the best. It's really not even close, and I've lived in just about every region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 06:26 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,953,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You dont like humid winters in the North, but prefer humid summers in SC or FL instead?

And believe it or not, it can be 15 degrees in Chicago with 100% humidity and it feels drier than anything else in the country (Arizona included).
Exactly. I like to do things outdoors. Humid winters in the North make that impossible, or at least extremely uncomfortable. There's no relief day or night. But humid summers in SC of FL have this thing called morning and this thing called dusk and this thing called night. And at all those times, it feels good enough to be outside doing things. So it boils down to I CAN be outside doing things even during the humid summers if I adjust for time of day, but I CAN'T be outside doing anything during those humid winters regardless of what time of day I'm looking at.

I've been to Chicago plenty of times. I've got family in Chicago. Chicago winters with 15 degrees and 100% humidity and that wind whipping in off Lake Michigan absolutely does not feel drier than say Denver or Albuquerque, and CERTAINLY doesn't feel more tolerable. Chicago winters are no joke. Not to mention all that nasty brown sludgy icy slush that sticks around is really unappealing. And the really funny thing is that a lot of times Chicago's SUMMERS can get just as hot and humid as anything in SC and FL. And usually when that happens, elderly people in Chicago die. Not to beat up on Chicago, it's a fun city and all, but the winters ARE terrible and sometimes the summers are too. I'd take a Denver winter over a Chicago winter ANY time, no questions, not even close.

Back when I was in high school, Northwestern University was on my folks' "to visit" list for me for college. We went on a visit on winter (Christmas) break. Even way back then I felt how cold Chicago was in the winter and I was like Oh HELL no! I told my folks I'm not about to come up here and freeze. They laughed- they couldn't blame me.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:41 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,953,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

I would NEVER call Boise, Denver, CO Springs, Nashville, Ogden, DC, etc, "warm". What the heck?
Are those the only cities you saw on the list? Of the top 10 cities, only 2 are not warm weather cities. Of the top 15, only 3 are not warm weather cities. Please tell me you were able to read that from the list.

As far as Nashville not being warm, here are Nashville's typical temps:

Month High Low Avg Precip
Jan 46°F 28°F 37°F 3.97 in.
Feb 52°F 31°F 41°F 3.69 in.
Mar 61°F 39°F 50°F 4.87 in.
Apr 70°F 47°F 59°F 3.93 in.
May 77°F 57°F 67°F 5.07 in.
Jun 85°F 65°F 75°F 4.08 in.
Jul 89°F 70°F 79°F 3.77 in.
Aug 88°F 68°F 78°F 3.28 in.
Sep 82°F 61°F 71°F 3.59 in.
Oct 71°F 49°F 60°F 2.87 in.
Nov 59°F 40°F 49°F 4.45 in.
Dec 49°F 32°F 41°F 4.54 in.

When even your average LOW temperatures for the winter BARELY get to freezing and you're in the South, you're a warm city.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:03 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,212,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Exactly. I like to do things outdoors. Humid winters in the North make that impossible, or at least extremely uncomfortable. There's no relief day or night. But humid summers in SC of FL have this thing called morning and this thing called dusk and this thing called night. And at all those times, it feels good enough to be outside doing things. So it boils down to I CAN be outside doing things even during the humid summers if I adjust for time of day, but I CAN'T be outside doing anything during those humid winters regardless of what time of day I'm looking at.

I've been to Chicago plenty of times. I've got family in Chicago. Chicago winters with 15 degrees and 100% humidity and that wind whipping in off Lake Michigan absolutely does not feel drier than say Denver or Albuquerque, and CERTAINLY doesn't feel more tolerable. Chicago winters are no joke. Not to mention all that nasty brown sludgy icy slush that sticks around is really unappealing. And the really funny thing is that a lot of times Chicago's SUMMERS can get just as hot and humid as anything in SC and FL. And usually when that happens, elderly people in Chicago die. Not to beat up on Chicago, it's a fun city and all, but the winters ARE terrible and sometimes the summers are too. I'd take a Denver winter over a Chicago winter ANY time, no questions, not even close.

Back when I was in high school, Northwestern University was on my folks' "to visit" list for me for college. We went on a visit on winter (Christmas) break. Even way back then I felt how cold Chicago was in the winter and I was like Oh HELL no! I told my folks I'm not about to come up here and freeze. They laughed- they couldn't blame me.
I wish one day the laws of the universe glitched for a day and Floridians got 0F temperatures so I can laugh at them as the whine and moan.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:03 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,722,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I wish one day the laws of the universe glitched for a day and Floridians got 0F temperatures so I can laugh at them as the whine and moan.
Well I hope you get hit by a hurricane

Old 06-13-2009, 01:45 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,704,557 times
Quote:
For me it depends on the kind of winter. If it's a dry winter where it's sunny and the daytime highs are typically something like 45 or higher, then I'd prefer the place with the winter.
Thanks for the laugh --- 45 is winter

I tried the whole Southern thing for a few years and didn't like it at all after the first winter down there. Just didn't feel right not having 4 real seasons and snow on the ground for a few months during winter.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:21 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times
Default 45 is FALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Thanks for the laugh --- 45 is winter

I tried the whole Southern thing for a few years and didn't like it at all after the first winter down there. Just didn't feel right not having 4 real seasons and snow on the ground for a few months during winter.
where I come from and it doesn't doesn't get as cold there as the in upper Midwest.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:38 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times
Quote:

I just spent the last 4 summers in Chicago... It isn't even summer yet and the weather here in FL is already worse than anything I ever experienced in a Chicago summer. The heat index Thursday was 105. At 11pm at night it is still over 80 and over 80% humidity. The summer in Chicago is also filled with 70-80 degree days with rare days over 90.
Elderly people die b/c heat waves are rare and many buildings don't have ac. Many people in FL die all the time from heat stroke.
I agree on the Denver vs. Chicago winter thing... I went last year to Denver in January and it was nice and mild compared to Chicago, even up in Vail and Copper.

I do outdoor stuff as well, as for weather, I think outdoor stuff is pretty nonexistent from Dec 15th-March 15th for me in Chicago any time of day... For about 6-7 months in FL it is only tolerable if you wake up at around 4-5am. I'm sure it isn't as bad in SC.

For instance, tomorrow's forecast... at 9am it will be 80 degrees already, with heat index of 85. At 9pm it will be 87 degrees with heat index of 95.
I have a pretty normal schedule, so for me personally, 6-7 months in FL are nonexistent for prolonged outdoor activities.
No thanks.

Usually the opening run in Chicago is the shamrock shuffle at the end of march, last year I ran in it, march 30, 2008. For that day the average temp is 52, low 35... it was fine for the run. Chicago, along with Boston, NYC, etc. usually have major runs march-november. In Fl the main running events are pretty much only dec-feb.

Last edited by grapico; 06-13-2009 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-13-2009, 12:25 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,212,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Well I hope you get hit by a hurricane
Pfft, Hurricanes are impossible Inland.
Sub Zero temperatures have occured close to the equator in past milleniums

Old 06-13-2009, 12:27 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,289,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Wow! I hope you don't enjoy any citrus products, as you wouldn't be able to afford them if your little scenario ever happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City