Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best public aquariums in North America
Atlanta - Georgia Aquarium 37 23.57%
Vancouver - Vancouver Aquarium 4 2.55%
Chicago - Shedd Aquarium 34 21.66%
New Orleans - Aquarium of the Americas 9 5.73%
Boston - New England Aquarium 17 10.83%
New York City - New York Aquarium 10 6.37%
Monterey - Monterey Bay Aquarium 25 15.92%
Denver - Denver Aquarium 8 5.10%
Chattanooga - Tennessee Aquarium 13 8.28%
Washington, D.C. - National Aquarium in DC 8 5.10%
Baltimore - National Aquarium in Baltimore 39 24.84%
Honolulu - Wakiki Aquarium 6 3.82%
San Francisco - Aquarium of the Bay 8 5.10%
Long Beach - Aquarium of the Pacific 12 7.64%
Other 30 19.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:36 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times

Advertisements

New Orleans Aquarium of the Americas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 10:14 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I haven't been to one that lived up to my expectations.
This.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:29 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,942,608 times
I have been to quite a few impressive ones, but the one I have liked the best was the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga. Having the two buildings seemed to be a plus along with it not just being an aquarium. It is so interactive with the traditional areas to "pet fish" but also the butterfly garden is amazing and was a big surprise to me. Not only was their a variety, but I love how they split the crowd up so that you don't experience the strollers hitting ankles phenomenon like someone mentioned at the Georgia Aquarium and the fact that people can choose where to go and so many exhibits aren't enjoyed as much due to the crowd factor. I would never put Sea World into the category of an Aquarium nor would I put Ripley in that category either.

I would consider the Tennessee Aquarium to be the best on the East Coast, even with the Georgia Aquarium having Belugas, Dolphins, Whale Sharks, etc. the Shedd Aquarium (mainly due to the Belugas) is the best in the Midwest and the Monterrey to be the best on the West Coast. I do agree that this poll is not very accurate as most of us have not been to all the locations listed...so I can only compare the ones I have been to.

Chattanooga ends up being a really nice place to visit regardless. I really liked the area so much more than I thought I would!

Old 06-18-2011, 11:12 AM

336 posts, read 768,187 times
Baltimore hands down!!!

Old 06-18-2011, 01:51 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,953 times
National Aquarium (Baltimore) is amazing, then the Downtown Aquarium (Denver) and the Newport Aquarium (Cincinnati) stand out among the aquariums I have been to.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:07 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I can't believe Camden wasnt on the list (is actually decent)

i think the camden aquarium is real nice. my gf and I take our nephew there all the time, he loves it. it doesn't have some of the super impressive displays that a larger one might have but it's really well laid out and designed to be super interactive and fun for kids.

i think the main reason it doesn't get the respect it deserves is the simple fact that it is located in camden.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:03 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,886 times
Out of this list, I have been to four: the Georgia Aquarium (Atlanta), the Aquarium of the Americas (New Orleans), the National Aquarium (Baltimore) and the National Aquarium (DC). Of those, the first three were all excellent, but the National Aquarium in DC should not even be on this list. It was several steps below the other three.

Either Atlanta or Baltimore is probably the best I have been to, with New Orleans in third. All three are definitely worth a visit if you like aquariums. I particularly enjoyed seeing the white alligators in New Orleans, the Whale sharks and beluga sharks in Atlanta and the jellyfish in Baltimore.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:57 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Out of this list, I have been to four: the Georgia Aquarium (Atlanta), the Aquarium of the Americas (New Orleans), the National Aquarium (Baltimore) and the National Aquarium (DC). Of those, the first three were all excellent, but the National Aquarium in DC should not even be on this list. It was several steps below the other three.

Either Atlanta or Baltimore is probably the best I have been to, with New Orleans in third. All three are definitely worth a visit if you like aquariums. I particularly enjoyed seeing the white alligators in New Orleans, the Whale sharks and beluga sharks in Atlanta and the jellyfish in Baltimore.

I would agree

Old 08-22-2011, 10:31 PM

291 posts, read 688,717 times
The one in Atlanta sure seems nice! The one here in Seattle is not bad although I am surprised that we don't have a better one.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:37 AM

199 posts, read 355,125 times
The best will be the Ripley's Aquarium in Toronto when it's finished in about two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City