Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What metro area would you rather live in now?
Austin/San Antonio 71 68.27%
Tampa/Orlando 33 31.73%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:02 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,490,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
of at least one place that has more than one of all 4.
Yeah, I have to have a NFL team with one of the other three major sports at minimum

I prefer all four though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 08:21 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,748,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Yeah, I have to have a NFL team with one of the other three major sports at minimum

I prefer all four though
That is one major factor that I didn't think about. At least the Tampa/Orlando have the 4 Pro sports teams. 6 including AFL(if that ever comes back).

Old 06-10-2009, 08:30 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,637,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
of at least one place that has more than one of all 4.
Yes, Tampa/Orlando does have NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA teams

Old 06-10-2009, 08:43 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
The Tampa/St Pete area is nearing 3 million people. Add that with Orlando and it is nearing 5 million people. It is a much larger market than San Antonio and Austin combined. There is a reason why it has all four of the major sports team. Not to mention that Tampa is the 2nd largest and Orlando is the 3rd largest metro areas in the state whereas San Antonio is 3rd and Austin is 4th (5th if you look at MSA) in the state and it's a big drop off from 1st and 2nd largest metros.

That said, San Antonio could easily support an NFL team and I think Austin can support an NHL team. I don't think neither can support MLB though (even combined) and personally, I have or should say had my doubts about Tampa/Orlando as well. It will quickly go back to have my doubts when/if they start losing. Florida in general is not that great of a pro sports state as they were threatning to contract both Florida's baseball teams a few years ago. Tampa's crowds was terrible until they started winning.

Austin though is ran by UT and it's sports teams and this is something that Tampa nor Orlando has to compete with in it's metro areas which is a very big reason why it doesn't have not ONE team from one of the major four leagues.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:41 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,909 times
Tampa/Orlando.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:02 PM

81 posts, read 218,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuato View Post
I'll go ahead and toss a yellow flag on this question - San Antonio and Austin ARE NOT a single "metro area". No government entity considers them such. They do not share a media market, sports teams, or even a substantial commuter presence. They are two different metro areas, and YOU LIVE IN ONE OR THE OTHER.

The distance from San Antonio to Austin is roughly the same as the distance from Philadelphia to Baltimore - consider them a "metro area"? How about Philadelphia and New York? Chicago and Milwaukee? San Diego and Los Angeles? Does anybody catch the commuter train to leave their house on Zarzamora Street and work in Round Rock? It takes more than a few backwoods villages on I-35 with the occasional new housing development to "connect" a metro area. It's not there, folks.

Simply forcing some fictional anschluss of the two on an internet forum does not change reality - San Antonio and Austin are two very different cities and two distinct metro areas. Look at nearly any hard demographic statistic, or "soft" cultural impression, and this is more than understood. Ask an Austinite if he feels he is in the "San Antonio/Austin" metro area, and you will encounter the same confusion I had when first broached about this Walter Mitty fantasy a few years ago. The concept only exists in the ether of city-data.com.

On a related note, at least one publication predicts Austin's metro area population surpassing San Antonio's by 2025 (bizjournals: Projected population of 250 U.S. metros (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/257.html - broken link)). They, along with the rest of Texas and the United States, resisted the urge to call it the "San Antonio-Austin" metro area.

And Tampa/Orlando is a single metro area? Sure, ask someone in Austin or San Antonio and you get one answer, but ask someone in Comal, Guadalupe or Hays Counties and you will get a different answer. They do share the media market-newspapers, radio, and TV- in these areas.
The bizjournal projections are B.S.. The BJ San Antonio projections are low by 30+ to 50K for 2010. Who knows how far off they will be by 2025. When I see a report with this many flaws, not just for San Antonio, but many other cities, I defiantly do not site it as a credible reference. The census estimate for 2008 shows San Antonio over 2.03 million.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:44 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,061,765 times
Did I miss something? When did San Antonio/Austin and Tampa/Orlando become new MSAs or would it be CSAs?

I'd choose Austin over the other three, but if it were to combine with San Antonio, forget it.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:04 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Did I miss something? When did San Antonio/Austin and Tampa/Orlando become new MSAs or would it be CSAs?

I'd choose Austin over the other three, but if it were to combine with San Antonio, forget it.
......how would that change anything??? You still have Austin.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:29 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,109,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Don't try to inflate numbers and act like San Antonio is this huge plays that is so much bigger than austin.

San Antonio - 1,990,675
Austin - 1,598,161

WOW! A whopping 400,000. A person visiting would not even notice the difference between each other in size

Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San Antonio urbanized area considerably larger.

San Antonio city limit population is almost twice the size. Austin covers nearly 300 square miles, comprable, although a little smaller than San Antonio's land area. S.A nearly 1.4 million to Austin 700k. S.A city limts has more people than all Travis and Williamson county, over 2000 square miles. I wouldn't say they are almost the same size and feel.

S.A metro nearly 2.06 million

Austin metro 1.65 million.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:13 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,061,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
......how would that change anything??? You still have Austin.
I was just playing. IMO, all four (or two in this case) are pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City