Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer?
Dry heat 133 73.48%
Humid Heat 48 26.52%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:54 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,448,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I believe this is relative to where one has lived or spent his/her time in the heat.
Very true, I have a funny story. We took a trip to Atlanta last June, hubby woke up and took the dog outside for his morning walk. By the time he came back, i had the morning news on, the weather guy said its going to be a super humid day today, its already really humid out there. Hubby looked at me and said, it was really nice outside. So who do I believe? 30 minutes later we go to leave for breakfast and who knew it, it wasn't humid outside. I laughed and thought the weather guy thinks its really humid outside???? As someone from Florida I know what humidity is. So it really is very subjective, on what is humid or not humid to someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:57 PM

258 posts, read 325,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Very true, I have a funny story. We took a trip Atlanta last June, hubby woke up and took the dog outside for his morning walk. By the time he came back, i had the morning news on, the weather guy said its going to be a super humid day today, its already really humid out there. Hubby looked at me and said, it was really nice outside. So who do I believe? 30 minutes later we go to leave for breakfast and who new it, it wasn't humid outside. I laughed, these people think its humid out???? As someone from Florida I know what real humidity is. So it really is very subjective, on what is humid or not humid to someone.
So true, what some people call humid. Humid is when you step out of your car and you can't see out of your glasses. No place comes close to Florida for unbridled humidity.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:58 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,448,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
So true, what some people call humid. Humid is when you step out of your car and you can't see out of your glasses. No place comes close to Florida for unbridled humidity.
Or you step into the hot car and they fog up, like they did today to me.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:48 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaraylee182004 View Post
this is not sticking to the subject of this thread, but i have somethin i wanted to post I thought would educate people a little bit:

USATODAY.com - Answers: Is Florida or Texas more humid

By the way I live in Houston and I have been to the Nevada/California border(desert), Tuscon, Pahrump, Phoenix(which was 111 the time i was there), and las vegas, all dead in the middle of july( second week in july if i remember correctly) for a summer vacation. And my opinion is, the heat there is hot, but not as miserable as Houston or Southeast Texas or South Louisiana for that matter. Check this, in Phoenix when i got out our rented mini van in the 111 heat, i was outside for about 6-8 minutes, did not sweat one bit. On the other hand got back home to the bayou city, soon as I walk outside my house for about 1 min(that's all it take) I start sweating, you dont even have to do anything but walk and you sweat. Hell if you're too overdressd, all you have to do is stand outside and you will start to sweat. To me dry heat is more comfortable, the air is thin so it's easy to breathe. Down here in Houston the air is THICK AND HEAVY. Houston has a smothering heat very uncomfortable and miserable. Hard to breathe when you're doing two-a-days for football in the summer. Guess that may have something to do with why we produce a lot of good football players from down here in Texas who knows just a thought. Or maybe its what they all say "there's something in the water" lol!!!
You're exactly right! I also live in Houston and I went to Vegas, NV, AZ, UT this past May. Even though Vegas gets real hot in the summer it was definitely cooler than Houston. I enjoyed the dryness. The night I got back to Houston I'm unloading my car in the driveway and I was like "D*** it's hot out here!" It felt really humid. Also another great thing about the desert: no mosquitoes. I wish I could say the same for Houston.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikCense View Post
I hear its not really about humidity but about dew points. Cause its normally more humid where I live in Indy then in Houston but HTown feels warmer. Check a dew point map thats what I am doing to determine my next location.
The dew points are determined by the temperature and humidity. The higher the heat/humidity combination the higher the dew point. Lower dewpoints are more comfortable. In Houston in the summer the dew points are usually in the 70s which means hot and humid. Dew points in the 50s are nice and comfortable.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
We have that in Houston all the time in the summer. When I get out of my car with my sunglasses on they fog up real bad and I have to take them off. The high humidity combined with the big temp. difference always make them fog up so bad you can't see through them.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:25 PM

4 posts, read 7,883 times
Default Need advice on cities for summer

I am considering moving from LA to either Seattle, Portland, Nashville or some place else that is void of smog, congestion, but has a tolerable summer.I spent 3 weeks of July in Houston & Memphis. Both were uncomfortable; Houston more than Memphis. I lived in Yuma for 20 yrs so I am familiar w/ dry heat.
My daughter lives o/s of Seattle & says the summers are nice. However, I would like to avoid the Pacific NW. But, I may have to go that route in order to get a tolerable summer.
Is the term 'heat index' the most accurate term for describing the real heat in summer?
please provide any suggestions of cities. I am a musician & would like to be o/s a sizable city. Rural living would be great.
Thank you

Old 01-02-2010, 12:02 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,609 times
I'll tell you what: interesting question here. I'd prefer to be in dry heat in most cases. Why do I say most? Well, if you are in an area where there is heat, humidity + dirty air, that is WORSE than when the air is clean. Although if the air is clean, the added humidity still makes you sweat. However, dry heat dries out your hair, nails, skin, nose and eyes. You can also get nosebleeds in the dry heat. There are advantages and disadvantages to both types, but for me dry heat is more tolerable.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:09 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,326 times
Humidity its good for the skin.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,184,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacewolfwm View Post
I am considering moving from LA to either Seattle, Portland, Nashville or some place else that is void of smog, congestion, but has a tolerable summer.I spent 3 weeks of July in Houston & Memphis. Both were uncomfortable; Houston more than Memphis. I lived in Yuma for 20 yrs so I am familiar w/ dry heat.
My daughter lives o/s of Seattle & says the summers are nice. However, I would like to avoid the Pacific NW. But, I may have to go that route in order to get a tolerable summer.
Is the term 'heat index' the most accurate term for describing the real heat in summer?
please provide any suggestions of cities. I am a musician & would like to be o/s a sizable city. Rural living would be great.
Thank you
First, Seattle, Portland or Nashville is not void of smog or congestion. I guess relative to some cities, they are better, but void? Nope.

If you thought Memphis was "uncomfortable", Nashville will be, too. It isn't that far away, nor that different in climate...a tad, a little, a hair cooler and drier, but not really much.

I know you said you want to avoid the PNW, but some of the nicest summers are there. If you want to avoid the rain, but have great summers, consider Spokane...not Yuma dry, but it does make Seattle and Portland feel like humid places...but the winters can be harsher in Spokane.
You might consider Tri-Cities, WA for Yuma-like weather in the PNW---usually between 6-9 inches of rain a year...dry. (...and you'd never guess you were in the "Evergreen State"!) It would probably be a tough job market for a musician, though.

...and "heat index" is a more realistic way of looking at temp in an area...it's the same kind of deal as "wind chill"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City