Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:02 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Hell you can have as good of time as anywhere in pretty much any college town across america.

I guarantee I could have as much fun going to bars and clubs in Greenville, NC (where my alma mater is ECU) as I could in DC.
Hell...I KNOW I would see hotter women. (esp true for Austin as well)
When you get a little older (late 20's/early to mid 30's), that whole college scene where you party with teenyboppers and barely legal students gets real old, real fast. And I seriously doubt there's anything more than that in Greenville of all places. DC has such variety in its nightlife that Greenville and a lot of other one-horse college towns can only dream of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:00 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Toronto has the best night life of any city in North America, period. The diversity you encounter is astounding and unmatched.

Washington D.C. has K-street and that one gay bar, somewhere near U-Street? I can't remember but it's close to a Metra stop.

Anyways, almost anywhere else has better nightlife than D.C. and the associated metro area.
You are also the one who said DC is nothing more than a Bedroom Community...You have no credibility.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:09 PM

204 posts, read 635,187 times
I just can't see how someone can say Toronto has better nightlife than DC.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:47 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Hell you can have as good of time as anywhere in pretty much any college town across america.

I guarantee I could have as much fun going to bars and clubs in Greenville, NC (where my alma mater is ECU) as I could in DC.
Hell...I KNOW I would see hotter women. (esp true for Austin as well)
Well I can see what you mean. I think you can have fun in a small town it's what you make of it. At the same time will say that I have a lot more fun in DC.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:09 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Washington, D.C. may be the political capital of the United States, but in no way is it the true capital city you seem to be making it out to be (meaning that most places can't compare to D.C.'s night life). I actually think even St. Louis might have a comparable nightlife to D.C. The Central West End, The Hill, Soulard, and Dogtown all make St. Louis have a much better night life than many people give it credit for. Not to mention that places like Clayton, Webster Groves, and Frontenac add a lot to it. We may fall short of D.C. in some respects, but we have many areas that when combined make our night life seem pretty competent. As far as other cities..places like New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Miami, Los Angeles, and San Diego easily eclipse Washington, D.C. They not only offer the criteria that you specify but there are many added bonuses as well that D.C. just can't match. I'm actually surprised D.C. even does have a nightlife that is highly rated, especially given that a lot of it is just politics and tourist attractions. Honestly, I always thought it was more of a day-time city than a night-time one.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:43 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
^You don't seem to know DC that well. The DC you describe sounds more like the DC of the 70's. When was the last time you actually visited?

Old 06-10-2009, 01:51 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
yeah, i don't know where you got that. DC's got a lot going on as far as nightlife

Old 06-10-2009, 02:05 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I'm actually surprised D.C. even does have a nightlife that is highly rated, especially given that a lot of it is just politics and tourist attractions. Honestly, I always thought it was more of a day-time city than a night-time one.
Okay you obviously haven't gone out in DC. I honestly have yet to meet anyone in DC that works in politics or even a tourist attraction. Most people in the area work for the government, defense contractors, non-profit organizations, or regular corporations just like St. Louis has; but only a handful in actual politics on the Hill.

So yeah DC has great nightlife there are other places that have great nightlife too. At the end of the day you can get drunk just about anywhere.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:45 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,571 times
Everyone's forgetting about one thing that makes a "nightlife" worthwhile:

1) Many people who want to go out want to go with other people they're really cool with. In DC, it's especially hard getting to know genuine people, as there is a definite "in-crowd/clique" mentality that dominates the young DC crowd.
2) You're going to run into and (most of the time, interact with) other people when going out. It doesn't help when many people who dominate the DC nightlife are into their own cliques and carry the "holier-than-thou" complex.

DC may have a "decent" nightlife, but when you consider that the people who are attracted to the DC nightlife don't really go out to just have a good time, but more for "power/ego trips," that really knocks the DC nightlife scene off any radar for a normal young person who just wants to enjoy themselves.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:46 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Okay you obviously haven't gone out in DC. I honestly have yet to meet anyone in DC that works in politics or even a tourist attraction. Most people in the area work for the government, defense contractors, non-profit organizations, or regular corporations just like St. Louis has; but only a handful in actual politics on the Hill.

So yeah DC has great nightlife there are other places that have great nightlife too. At the end of the day you can get drunk just about anywhere.
I have no interest in getting drunk, if that's what you call a nightlife I feel sorry for you. I actually can have fun without getting f***ed up first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City