Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 06:35 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Kentucky has the nation's only creation museum. Eat your heart out, America!
My aunt said actually toured that place!! She said she laughed her ass off the whole way through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 10:31 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
CNN Traveler's Choice chooses ....ART INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO AS #1 Museum in the US and #3 ...Museum in the world. Based on Tripadvisors reviews.
Traveler's Choice: World's best museums - CNN.com

Because tourist are impressed with visits to Chicago. It continues to rate high on feedback. Some say they don't understand? But my slant is when one comes away with expectations in a visit...SURPASSED? They are more likely to return to travel sights they originally sought advice and give a review?? Chicago keeps getting them and the cities ratings are continuing to be high.
I read this too-I also read that the Art Institute was rated the number one museum in the world, not only in the U.S. Combine the Art institute of Chicago with the Oriental Institute at the University of Chicago, the Museum of Modern Art, the Field Museum, the Planetarium, the Shedd Aquarium, The Museum of Science and Industry, the Chicago Historical Museum, the Newberry Library, etc. and Chicago is pretty formidable. The list would definitely be in no particular order for the top three NYC, Washington and Chicago, with Chicago having the best geographical set up for its museum campus on set on Lake Michigan so that you can easily visit several in walking distance from each other in a beautiful setting; Washington has a similar set up with the Smithsonian, the Native American Museum, and other sights in proximity to each other. I really can't say which would be one, two or three though, since all three have great museums in their own way.

I would give Boston and LA the next tier; I must say the Getty museum in Malibu and the Huntington Library in San Marino are fantastic and so beautiful!! I especially love the Huntington and its beautiful setting in the town of San Marino.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:19 AM

465 posts, read 658,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I read this too-I also read that the Art Institute was rated the number one museum in the world, not only in the U.S. Combine the Art institute of Chicago with the Oriental Institute at the University of Chicago, the Museum of Modern Art, the Field Museum, the Planetarium, the Shedd Aquarium, The Museum of Science and Industry, the Chicago Historical Museum, the Newberry Library, etc. and Chicago is pretty formidable. The list would definitely be in no particular order for the top three NYC, Washington and Chicago, with Chicago having the best geographical set up for its museum campus on set on Lake Michigan so that you can easily visit several in walking distance from each other in a beautiful setting; Washington has a similar set up with the Smithsonian, the Native American Museum, and other sights in proximity to each other. I really can't say which would be one, two or three though, since all three have great museums in their own way.

I would give Boston and LA the next tier; I must say the Getty museum in Malibu and the Huntington Library in San Marino are fantastic and so beautiful!! I especially love the Huntington and its beautiful setting in the town of San Marino.
Your knowledge of Los Angeles museums seems fairly limited. The Getty hasn't been in Malibu for some time. Los Angeles also has LACMA, MOCA, impressive galleries at UCLA (Hammer), USC(Fisher), Cal Arts and in Claremont as well as numerous smaller museums. It also has the most comprehensive film archives as probably to be expected, and it's the only metro in the world that you could see either an actual space shuttle or an Air Force One 747. The Natural History Museum isn't up to Chicago's standards, but it's not that far off. It's at the very least equal with Chicago, there isn't a clear separation, and due to the film and aeronautics advantages, I put it ahead.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:18 AM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times
LA and Chicago are among the top museum cities in the country. The difference?

LA has more numerous, smaller more manageable museums spread out throughout LA
Chicago has a few, but more magnificent museums concentrated in the downtown area.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:29 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
If I had to make a list and absolutely had to pick..

1. DC- Always enjoyed them
2. NYC- A trip to NYC is almost always a good idea if we aren't driving at rush hour
3. Chicago- A destination for museum activities and architecture
4.A toss up between a handful but since this is a forum of about giving our own personal insight, Nobody should doubt Philadelphia, especially if you have kids. The please touch museum, Franklin institute, Academy of the natural sciences for the younger ones, and the Mutter Museum, UPENN Museum of anthropology and archaeology, and National Constitution center/Independence hall/Liberty Bell/Old City for the older teenage high schoolers. For the world traveler type person other than those more casual and fun places, we have the Philadelphia Museum of Art (You know when you are here and look down the parkway for the first time, that you have to go take a picture on top of the steps), The African-American Museum, National Museum of American-Jewish History, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (They have a really awesome Exhibit right now for their Alumni David Lynch and if you like Eraserhead or Twin Peaks you should check it out ), and finally I think the Rodin's 10 million dollar remodeling has really upped it's worth, and the Barnes Foundation's move into Downtown Philly from the suburbs was a nice add to the city.
Also not that this is a demonstration of worth, but outside of those top 3 cities I mentioned, I would say Philadelphia's Museums themselves can not be beat in beauty and architecture.

Obviously with the American Revolution and Civil War both taking place in Philadelphia's front yard, there are many more worthwhile places outside the city. I think everyone should at least take one trip to the hallowed battlefields of Gettysburg.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 11-03-2014 at 09:01 AM..

Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
That actually isn't fair to New York, since the author appears to only be counting Manhattan when the city comprises five counties + a mammoth metropolitan area, but you get the point. Los Angeles a lot of museums, several which are top quality.
Author lives in DC, and has never been to NY or LA, so has no idea what he is talking about.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:54 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
1. NYC
2. DC, although if you are factoring in price DC is probably #1 since so many of the museums there are free
3. Chicago

4-7: LA, Philly, Boston, SF in some order

IMO those seven U.S. cities have world class museum scenes. After those there are a number of other cities with great museums, but I don't think they have the critical mass to be in quite the same league as those seven.
I would agree with this. For 4-7, I'd venture, Philadelphia, LA/Boston, then SF. I'd factor Cleveland and Detroit (DIA is fantastic) in top 10.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:38 PM

465 posts, read 658,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I would agree with this. For 4-7, I'd venture, Philadelphia, LA/Boston, then SF. I'd factor Cleveland and Detroit (DIA is fantastic) in top 10.
Twenty years ago you could have easily put Detroit in the top ten, but DIA hasn't added to its collection in years (thankfully it hasn't sold it off yet, either, but it's still in credit limbo) just added to its size, and no other major museums or exhibitions have opened in the city, unlike Cleveland which has the R&R HOF and a couple important additions to its collection. The Henry Ford and the Cranbrook are still fairly significant but also static.

I make trips up to Grand Rapids every year because I know that there's always something new to discover, I only go to DIA anymore if there's a travelling exhibit that's particularly appealing.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:32 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,103 times
I think DC gets this one hands down.

Surprised only one person mentioned the Milwaukee Art Museum... doesn't have the massive scale other cities boast, but it is without a doubt one of the most attractive structures in the entire country.

I'd like to add Vegas as an honorable mention because of it's lesser-known, sometimes oddball museums:

- The Auto Collection: Over 250 cars, some with famous owners (Johnny Carson's 1939 Chrysler & JFK's Lincoln) as well as a 1957 numbers matching Thunderbird and 1929 Rolls Royce Phantom. Also includes several vehicles used in movies and TV.
- The Atomic Testing Museum: Explores the history, present and future of nuclear weapons as well as the history of the Nevada Test Site.
- Mob Museum: An in-depth look at the history of organized crime and law enforcement's battle against it.
- The Pinball Hall of Fame: Over 100 pinball machines spanning the past 70+ years.
- The Neon Museum: A lit-up look at Las Vegas' past.
- Mandalay Bay Shark Reef: A small, but well laid out aquarium.
- Las Vegas Natural History Museum
- Clark County Heritage Museum
- Titanic: The Artifact Exhibit
- Marjorie Barrick Art Museum

Old 11-08-2014, 07:29 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,903,744 times
Default Military Museums in Columbus, GA

If you like military museums, it's Columbus, GA, hands down! www.visitcolumbusga.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.