Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:28 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,542,460 times

Advertisements

1)Waterfront--Milwaukee
2)Street--Boston
3)Topography--San Francisco
4)Backdrop--Seattle
5)Foot Traffic--New York City
6)Weather--San Francisco again
7)Wildcard-Density--Baltimore, Philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 03:35 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,951,829 times
jonjj, which street in Boston (out of all the streets in America) would you put into your downtown?

Old 06-13-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
jonjj, which street in Boston (out of all the streets in America) would you put into your downtown?

I love Boston's street pattern. Specifically, the fact that there really isn't one. If I had to name one in particular, I guess it would be Tremont. Most cities have some sort of grid pattern whereas much of Boston's streets were originally trails.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I just went back and read your earlier post about specific streets. With that new information, I would include Boylston Street. A close second would be Tremont and Downtown Crossing or Commonwealth.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:10 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,969,490 times
1)Waterfront: NY
2)Street: NY
3)Topography: Seattle
4)Backdrop: Seattle
5)Foot Traffic: NY
6)Weather: San Francisco
7)Wildcard Choose Your Category: Density - NY Financial District, Center City Philadelphia, and North End Boston

Old 06-14-2009, 09:40 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,765,298 times
Quote:
Using US cities' downtowns, how would you build YOUR favorite downtown using one of each in these categories:

1)Waterfront
2)Street
3)Topography
4)Backdrop
5)Foot Traffic
6)Weather
7)Wildcard-Choose Your Category

For example, my favorite downtown would take Chicago's downtown waterfront, Denver's downtown 16th Street (Mall), Nashville's hilly downtown topography, Colorado Spring's downtown backdrop, Miami Beach's foot traffic, San Diego's weather, and my wildcard is music scene and I pick Austin's music scene. That would build my favorite downtown. How about yours?
Waterfront: Seattle
Street: Chicago's Grid style & Chicago's Magnificent Mile
Topography: Richmond, VA (the "Seven Hills" + River with the only urban class 3 + 4 whitewater rapids, as well as the downtown canal and 2 islands)
Backdrop: Blue Ridge mountains that surround Roanoke, VA.
Foot Traffic: NYC I suppose. Except with a more southern, laid-back feel. Hmm..maybe SoCo in Austin Texas but a larger scale.
Weather: Roanoke VA (4 distinctive but mild seasons without the stifling humidity seen in much of Virginia)
Wildcard: Neighborhoods:The Fan (and historic Monument Ave) in Richmond VA, Old Town Arlington, Capitol Hill in DC, DUMBO and Park Slope in Brooklyn.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:37 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,833,255 times
1)Waterfront - Miami
2)Street - NYC
3)Topography - Denver
4)Backdrop - LA
5)Foot Traffic - Toronto
6)Weather - SF

Crazy aint it?

Old 06-15-2009, 06:39 AM

ThroatGuzzler, what street in NYC is great enough for you to pick it over any other street in the US to include in your downtown?

Old 06-15-2009, 08:39 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,833,255 times
Quote:
ThroatGuzzler, what street in NYC is great enough for you to pick it over any other street in the US to include in your downtown?
I like how the streets in NYC are layed out in a perfect grid, making it easy to navigate and know where you are.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
I like how the streets in NYC are layed out in a perfect grid, making it easy to navigate and know where you are.
The idea isn't what street composition you would include, as basically all downtowns have grid composition or grids with diagonals. The idea is if there was one street in the US you'd HAVE to have in the downtown you build, what street would it be. If there isn't one, that's fine to say that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City