Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:45 AM

125 posts, read 141,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Michigan has the best microbrew scene in the country, and Wisconsin is right behind it. Give me a break, it's the country's brewing capital and that history has translated well for micros. Overall, I'm not a fan of West Coast beers, because they over-hop everything, including my favorites (stouts and porters), which are NOT SUPPOSED to have overwhelming hop notes. They're supposed to be smooth, but tend to be absolutely ruined when brewed west of the Mississippi.

Everyone there is obsessed with IPA's, which to me taste like hoppy sodas. It's because they've suddenly made hops into a big cash crop there, and has little to do with flavor balance. I'll take Founder's, Central Waters, Great Lakes Brewing, and so on - Great Lakes region easily.

Regardless, much of this is subjective, and both OR and WI usually end up in the top 5-10 in rankings.
Sorry, but no. The best collective microbrew scene is the West Coast. According to Thrillist, 3 of the top 5 are West Coast states (Oregon, California, and Washington), with the only midwest state in the top 5 being Michigan:

Best Beers in America - The Best States for Beer Lovers - Oregon and California Top Our List
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 11:57 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,631 times
That's great, but I (and others) strongly disagree. I doubt you've even had more than a small sampling of beers from outside your region anyway. Also - big shock that PNW man hypes PNW beers. I'll bet you're elbow-deep in that IPA hysteria too, aren't you? I will never, ever buy another stout from west of the Mississippi. After many attempts, I find that either people do not know how to brew them, or they've decided that all beers must have piercing hop notes regardless of style. Same goes for everything outside IPAs, which are kiddie beers.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
That's great, but I (and others) strongly disagree. I doubt you've even had more than a small sampling of beers from outside your region anyway. Also - big shock that PNW man hypes PNW beers. I'll bet you're elbow-deep in that IPA hysteria too, aren't you? I will never, ever buy another stout from west of the Mississippi. After many attempts, I find that either people do not know how to brew them, or they've decided that all beers must have piercing hop notes regardless of style. Same goes for everything outside IPAs, which are kiddie beers.
Big shock that Midwest man hypes Midwest beers. See what I did there? From my experience, and I've tried a lot of midwest beers, the pale ales, IPAs, ambers, and several other popular styles pale (no pun inteneded) in comparison to the West Coast. Stouts and porters (and there are plenty of good ones brewed on the West Coast) are generally novelty beers (sorry, Guinness really is its own category). I've rarely met a regular beer drinker whose go-to is a stout or porter. A really good IPA is difficult to brew and really the pinnacle of American beer culture. (Side note: It's hilarious that Goose Island claims to brew an IPA).

Old 07-30-2015, 01:08 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exlamatir View Post
I've rarely met a regular beer drinker whose go-to is a stout or porter. A really good IPA is difficult to brew and really the pinnacle of American beer culture. (Side note: It's hilarious that Goose Island claims to brew an IPA).
My go-to beers are strictly porters and stouts. Whether it be a classic Guinness Extra Stout or a LHB Milk Stout, thats what I drink 90% of the time. I drink a minimum of 2-3 beers a night, and have for the last decade. I havent had a beerless night since then, so you can call me a regular.

And for the record, Goose Island's IPA isnt horrible. Its nothing to write home about, but Ive had far worse. I actually prefer it to Lagunita's IPA. Yes, Im serious.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
My go-to beers are strictly porters and stouts. Whether it be a classic Guinness Extra Stout or a LHB Milk Stout, thats what I drink 90% of the time. I drink a minimum of 2-3 beers a night, and have for the last decade. I havent had a beerless night since then, so you can call me a regular.

And for the record, Goose Island's IPA isnt horrible. Its nothing to write home about, but Ive had far worse. I actually prefer it to Lagunita's IPA. Yes, Im serious.
Hey, I said rarely, right?

Also, Lagunitas IPA is overrated, but at least it tastes like an IPA. I'm not sure how to describe what Goose Island's "IPA" tastes like, but it's not good.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Big shock that Midwest man hypes Midwest beers. See what I did there? From my experience, and I've tried a lot of midwest beers, the pale ales, IPAs, ambers, and several other popular styles pale (no pun inteneded) in comparison to the West Coast. Stouts and porters (and there are plenty of good ones brewed on the West Coast) are generally novelty beers (sorry, Guinness really is its own category).
Guiness straight-up sucks next to the best stouts brewed in the US

Are you new to this "microbrew" thing, haha? A novelty??? High-hop IPAs out west are the novelty.

Quote:
I've rarely met a regular beer drinker whose go-to is a stout or porter. A really good IPA is difficult to brew and really the pinnacle of American beer culture. (Side note: It's hilarious that Goose Island claims to brew an IPA).
Then get out of your self-flagging PNW bubble. The problem is stouts and porters SUCK in that area of the country. For real. Every one I've had, and I've had a lot. Around here, where people drink a lot more, have a much longer history of brewing, etc., stouts are the gold standard. Most people I know look upon IPAs with derision. Kiddie beer.

An excellent stout is far more difficult to brew than an excellent IPA - who ever gave you that misinformation?

It's funny that you said you don't know any "regular beer drinkers" whose go-to is a stout, and a minute later the next poster said he's exactly that (like me). After stouts and porters, my next go-to is a good Belgian. It's the one style that is still better in Europe, expecially the open-air fermented ones that are earthy in a way a small start-up probably will not be able to match. I also like certain sours, the best of which are New Glarus (here) and a Colorado company I'm fully forgetting and will slap my head when someone mentions it.

Regardless, I look at PNW as johnny-come-latelies, including the local boosters. I can confidently state that I've tried beers from all over the country for many years, and Michigan has the top quality beers in the world when it comes to what I enjoy. Michigan #1.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:46 PM

Chicago has vastly overrated breweries, including Goose Island. Stick with OH, MI and WI. And now, I'm done derailing...

Old 07-30-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Regardless, I look at PNW as johnny-come-latelies, including the local boosters. I can confidently state that I've tried beers from all over the country for many years, and Michigan has the top quality beers in the world when it comes to what I enjoy. Michigan #1.
Yeah, the west really are Johnny come latelys, where the first brewpub in the US since prohibition was opened in 1982 (Grant's Brewery Pub in Yakima, WA) and most of the pioneers of the current craft beer movement (Sierra Nevada, Red Hook, Anchor Steam, etc.) are located. The Midwest, if anything, are the johnny-come-latelys of the current craft beer movement.

So much of what you stated in your post was false, I don't have time to address all of it, but claiming the West (or the PNW) are somehow late to the craft brewing game has to take the cake as the most misinformed statement I've seen on city data in a while. People in the PNW were regularly drinking craft brews at bars in the 80s and early 90s when that kind of thing was very niche and much harder to find in the Midwest.

Also, the Belgians and Sours being produced on the West Coast are pretty stellar right now. And what I meant about Guinness is that it is produced differently and tastes different than what people typically think of as a stout.

Last edited by Exlamatir; 07-30-2015 at 03:22 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 03:18 PM

Also, just in case you needed more evidence. This is from the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015...-business.html

Note the first line seven paragraphs down: "The modern craft brewery movement started on the West Coast..."

Old 07-31-2015, 12:43 AM

3 posts, read 2,897 times
Quote:
Also, just in case you needed more evidence. This is from the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015...-business.html

Note the first line seven paragraphs down: "The modern craft brewery movement started on the West Coast..."
Honestly, it seems like you guys are both very loyal to your region's beers, and the truth is both the Northwest and the Midwest are two of the best places in the country for beer, with each excelling at different styles (my husband brews beer and brings home lots of beers from everywhere to try - I'm not a big drinker since my waistline won't allow it , but I've tasted beer from everywhere)

One thing, though - it is definitely false to say that the West Coast is new to craft brewing. California, Washington, and Oregon were really the pioneers of the new craft beer movement (at least according to my husband, who has an encyclopedic knowledge of this stuff). But that doesn't mean it's the best in 2015 - these days I think the West Coast, Mountain West, and Midwest are all equally great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City