Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which trio of cities of cities would you prefer to visit?
Deep South - New Orleans / Savannah/ Charleston 14 33.33%
Eastern Canada - Montreal/ Quebec City/ St. John's 28 66.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 07:51 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

Comparing two trios of cities in different regions of North America that have significant stock of solid historical bones from the 18th and early 19th centuries that existed as important trading centers and ports. Which trio of cities offer more appeal for the total package?

Deep South
New Orleans
Savannah
Charleston

Eastern Canada
Montreal
Quebec City
St John's, NL

Montreal is a bit of wildcard as it overall has a more modern North American vernacular than the other cities, but it has pockets of old stock in Le Plateau, the Old Port, and Mile End neighborhoods. St John's is small and under the radar, but the waterfront and downtown has some echoes of Dublin or Galway and it has the charming Jellybean rowhomes up the hill. Quebec City is said by some to be the most European feeling inside the walls of Old Quebec.

Charleston is the most colorful of the bunch with a nice collection of pastels. Savannah has the most unique urban planning with the historic squares and thick vegetation seemlessly blending in with the neighborhoods. New Orleans might have the largest stock of older buildings and cool also has vintage trolleys to outer neighborhoods.

Talking points can include...

How much intact historic bones are left
Preferred architectural elements
Integration of modern infrastructure
How these cities exist today whilst retaining old world stock and historic charm
The most interesting older urban neighborhoods
Which cities are retaining their authenticity best in the 21st century

But overall, which trio of cities would you prefer to visit or return to?

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-19-2023 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 10:19 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quebec. I can feel the heat and humidity when you mention those southern cities

Old 08-19-2023, 11:33 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
I've never been to St. Johns (wish I could), but I have been to the other 5. Weather aside, it would be the Canadian cities. I would return to them in the summer for sure. When I was in Quebec City at the end of September it struggled to get over 50, but to me it's the probably most beautiful North American city that there is (San Francisco is my other). Montreal is also a gem. Probably the most walkable city I have been to outside of New York City.

That's not to discount the southern three cities, all of which I have enjoyed very much. The walkable areas in these three cities are largely confined to the smaller city centers, New Orleans to a lesser extent than Charleston, and smaller still is Savannah (Oglethorpe Squares).

This is a great thread idea, by the way.

Old 08-19-2023, 11:33 AM

151 posts, read 87,622 times
Deep South in the Winter and Eastern Canada in the Summer. Slight edge to Canada overall because they seem more foreign. I have yet to visit any of these places so I'd be interested to see them all though.

Old 08-19-2023, 12:16 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Comparing two trios of cities in different regions of North America that have significant stock of solid historical bones from the 18th and early 19th centuries that existed as important trading centers and ports. Which trio of cities offer more appeal for the total package?

Deep South
New Orleans
Savannah
Charleston

Eastern Canada
Montreal
Quebec City
St John's, NL

Montreal is a bit of wildcard as it overall has a more modern North American vernacular than the other cities, but it has pockets of old stock in Le Plateau, the Old Port, and Mile End neighborhoods. St John's is small and under the radar, but the waterfront and downtown has some echoes of Dublin or Galway and it has the charming Jellybean rowhomes up the hill. Quebec City is said by some to be the most European feeling inside the walls of Old Quebec.

Charleston is the most colorful of the bunch with a nice collection of pastels. Savannah has the most unique urban planning with the historic squares and thick vegetation seemlessly blending in with the neighborhoods. New Orleans might have the largest stock of older buildings and cool also has vintage trolleys to outer neighborhoods.

Talking points can include...

How much intact historic bones are left
Preferred architectural elements
Integration of modern infrastructure
How these cities exist today whilst retaining old world stock and historic charm
The most interesting older urban neighborhoods
Which cities are retaining their authenticity best in the 21st century

But overall, which trio of cities would you prefer to visit or return to?

Wow—they are both great categories…great choices here!

I wouldn’t be able to choose. Good Luck and Excellent Thread Topic.

Old 08-19-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintX View Post
Deep South in the Winter and Eastern Canada in the Summer...
Excellent suggestion and idea. I guess this would have to be my approach…

Old 08-19-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
…This is a great thread idea, by the way.
Indeed.

Old 08-19-2023, 12:26 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
I've never been to St. Johns (wish I could), but I have been to the other 5. Weather aside, it would be the Canadian cities. I would return to them in the summer for sure. When I was in Quebec City at the end of September it struggled to get over 50, but to me it's the probably most beautiful North American city that there is (San Francisco is my other). Montreal is also a gem. Probably the most walkable city I have been to outside of New York City.

That's not to discount the southern three cities, all of which I have enjoyed very much. The walkable areas in these three cities are largely confined to the smaller city centers, New Orleans to a lesser extent than Charleston, and smaller still is Savannah (Oglethorpe Squares).

This is a great thread idea, by the way.
Walkability in New Orleans isn't limited to the core. Most of Uptown is walkable and has multiple nodes.

Old 08-19-2023, 01:31 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
I've never been to St. Johns (wish I could)
It's my favorite city that I've visited in Canada. I think its isolation has help the city retain its authenticity. I thought about Halifax, but it doesn't feel as old world as St John's since so much of the old city was lost in the 1917 Halifax explosion. Here's some corners of St John's I found interesting exploring on foot.

Water Street downtown

- https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5638...8192?entry=ttu

- https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5621...8192?entry=ttu

Jellybean Row

- https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5672...8192?entry=ttu

- https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5696...8192?entry=ttu

- https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5677...3840?entry=ttu

Signal Hill

- https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5696...3264?entry=ttu

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-19-2023 at 01:56 PM..

Old 08-19-2023, 01:35 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintX View Post
Slight edge to Canada overall because they seem more foreign.

Because it is. You're an American, not a Canadian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City