Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:04 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Two Cities and Two States. Let me take them one by one....

I am very proud of both Raleigh and North Carolina. While I expect to be proud of my city, I have been surprised as of late on issues that make me proud of the state as well. But, then again, I am a politically progressive person and much of what's made me proud lately is tied to the recent political climate and activity.
In addition, I am extremely proud of other cities in the state of NC: I admire some of the really great things I see in places such as Charlotte, Wilmington, Asheville, Durham, etc.

Now for Florida...
I am extremely proud to also call Miami Beach home. It's amazing to me that a smallish city of less than 90,000 can support the type of diversity and activity that comes its way. As an example, Miami Beach often leads the county in social issues and technology integration as it wrangles through its 6 million+ visitors annually.
Florida, on the other hand, can try my patience. I dislike the overall political atmosphere and lack of sophistication that I thought I'd find in a state as large and diverse as Florida. Yet, I have hope for its future.
No offense, but how can you be proud of the political progressiveness in NC but not in Florida? As someone who lived in Fla and now lives in NC, it feels like the opposite to me. NC still kinda seems stuck in the past compared to FLA to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Im proud of NYC. NYC is the home of Hip Hop, and the home of many celebrities, etc... I feel that nobody can do it like NYC. No offense all lol.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:17 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,985,629 times
State Pride. I love New Mexico.. then again I love Colorado alot too

Old 06-24-2009, 09:28 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
No offense, but how can you be proud of the political progressiveness in NC but not in Florida? As someone who lived in Fla and now lives in NC, it feels like the opposite to me. NC still kinda seems stuck in the past compared to FLA to me.
I have lived in several states (including FL) and I find NC to be slightly more progressive. History, according to wiki, also seems to point that way:

"and North Carolina was widely known as one of the more progressive Southern states on the issue of segregation and civil rights. In 1947, the famous journalist John Gunther wrote, "that North Carolina is by a good deal the most progressive Southern state will, I imagine, be agreed to by almost everybody"

If you compare the rural areas of the two states, NC seems to also more progressive. This is in my mind more accurate since almost every large city seems to have a "progressive" crowd to it, IMHO.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:43 PM

305 posts, read 771,083 times
I got both. L.A. and California pride.

[listens to California Love by Dr. Dre and Tupac]

Old 06-24-2009, 10:08 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
I have lived in several states (including FL) and I find NC to be slightly more progressive. History, according to wiki, also seems to point that way:

"and North Carolina was widely known as one of the more progressive Southern states on the issue of segregation and civil rights. In 1947, the famous journalist John Gunther wrote, "that North Carolina is by a good deal the most progressive Southern state will, I imagine, be agreed to by almost everybody"

If you compare the rural areas of the two states, NC seems to also more progressive. This is in my mind more accurate since almost every large city seems to have a "progressive" crowd to it, IMHO.
It all depends on what part of Florida your talking about. The further south and toward the coast you go, the more progressive it is. But North Florida apart from the beach communities is very conservative.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:10 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,335 times
Boston and Mass are the same thing.

Yes, western MA people, it's true.

But I have more pride in New England than anything.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:39 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
It all depends on what part of Florida your talking about. The further south and toward the coast you go, the more progressive it is. But North Florida apart from the beach communities is very conservative.
Only applies to the Atlantic Coast. Not the Gulf Coast. The 14th Congressional District encompasses Naples and Fort Myers, and is the third most conservative district in the entire state behind only Pensacola and Jacksonville.

Cook Partisan Voting Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also during the 2008 election 60% of the vote went to Mack (Republican), another 14.5% to Burt Saunders (Republican running as independent).... only 24% of the vote went to the Democrat. Southwest Florida is very conservative.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:40 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,554 times
I have the most pride for my home state of Texas. I also have a good deal of pride for my current state of Florida.

Cities....only a little bit.... the state matters more to me.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:55 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Only applies to the Atlantic Coast. Not the Gulf Coast. The 14th Congressional District encompasses Naples and Fort Myers, and is the third most conservative district in the entire state behind only Pensacola and Jacksonville.

Cook Partisan Voting Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also during the 2008 election 60% of the vote went to Mack (Republican), another 14.5% to Burt Saunders (Republican running as independent).... only 24% of the vote went to the Democrat. Southwest Florida is very conservative.
Southwest Florida is the exception because its a very weathy, old money type of area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City