Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 07:42 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post

Adirondack Park:

The Adirondack Park is the largest protected area in the continental U.S.; it is larger than Yosemite, Everglades, Grand Canyon, and Yellowstone National Parks combined.

Adirondack may be called a "park" but is publicly and privatley owned and has 100 towns and villages.

I don't know if this is really what people think of when they think of "Park"

I think its important to remember that Adirondack Park is not a national Park but preserve of public and private lands....

sources:

WCS: Adirondack Landscape, USA

https://imrcms.nps.gov/bibe/parkmgmt/park_sizes.htm
Your not the first person here on CD who does not understand how big & wild the Adirondacks trully are. Not only does the state own several million acres which is increasing every year (much of it wilderness), but the private lands are also mostly undeveloped and under the strictest zoning.

If you want more information there are dozens of websites on the Adirondacks. Try this one first --- visitadirondacks.com --- it has videos including helicopter tours. Click on "first time visitors".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 07:57 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
I think we're arguing over the definition of "park" -

The Adirondack Park (as it is formally known, and hence is a "park") is, in use and regulations, more akin to a National Forest, which also contain settlements. The land is largely administered by the state government/agency, as national forest lands are administered by the federal government/agency.

If you go to Google Maps and look at the view of the U.S., the green blobs represent national parks and national forests. You'll see that the Adirondack Park is the largest green blob in the lower 48... by far.

There are some people who feel the management of the Adirondack Park is too strict and that it is TOO wild... all I know is the last time I went up there and hiked, I felt like I was in the jungle. The rules are pretty strict. For instance, the other year, the entire state had to vote on whether one small village was allowed to dig new water wells (because their old ones were contaminated). Of course, everyone wanted the village to have fresh water so it was a very noncontroversial proposition... but it WAS constitutionally required.

Last edited by Jeromeville; 07-02-2009 at 08:07 PM..

Old 07-02-2009, 08:06 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Florida
  • Fouth largest economy in the US
  • St Augustine is the oldest European settlement in North America
  • The world's first scheduled passanger airline flight took place from St Petersburg to Tampa
  • Lakeland is the lighting capital of the US
  • Ybor city in Tampa was once the Cigar capital of the world
  • Bayshore Blvd in Tampa has the longest countinuous sidewalk in the world.
  • Florida leads the southeast in farm income
  • Florida has the second longest saltwater coastline in the US behind Alaska.
  • Florida has more springs then any other state.
I have another one to Add
  • There is a small park in Ybor city Tampa named after Jose Marti, containing cuban soil that is owned by the Cuban Government.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:13 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I think we're arguing over the definition of "park" -

The Adirondack Park (as it is formally known, and hence is a "park") is, in use and regulations, more akin to a National Forest, which also contain settlements. The land is largely administered by the state government/agency, as national forest lands are administered by the federal government/agency.

If you go to Google Maps and look at the view of the U.S., the green blobs represent national parks and national forests. You'll see that the Adirondack Park is the largest green blob in the lower 48... by far.

There are some people who feel the management of the Adirondack Park is too strict and that it is TOO wild... all I know is the last time I went up there and hiked, I felt like I was in the jungle. The rules are pretty strict. For instance, the other year, the entire state had to vote on whether one small village was allowed to dig new water wells (because their old ones were contaminated). Of course, everyone wanted the village to have fresh water so it was a very noncontroversial proposition... but it WAS constitutionally required.

yes, that is what I meant. It is more akin to a National Forest than a National Park. I think it is misleading to compare it to Yellowstone or Grand Canyon; National Parks.

Nothing to do with the size of the boundary.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Your not the first person here on CD who does not understand how big & wild the Adirondacks trully are. Not only does the state own several million acres which is increasing every year (much of it wilderness), but the private lands are also mostly undeveloped and under the strictest zoning.

If you want more information there are dozens of websites on the Adirondacks. Try this one first --- visitadirondacks.com --- it has videos including helicopter tours. Click on "first time visitors".
I would like to visit, I will check it out.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:24 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
The thing about the Adirondack Park I've never understood is why the state doesn't sign the entrances better. Sometimes the only way you know you've crossed the line (it's called "the Blue Line"), is when the street signs start to have yellow letters on a brown background.

BTW, the Catskill Park is run in a similar manner to the Adirondack Park, although it is relatively more populated.

Personally, I think the Finger Lakes region ought to be "parked" in the same manner.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:26 PM

559 posts, read 1,757,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Not the same. MI is not counting lakes contained within the state as shoreline, just Great Lakes shore/coastline. With over 11,000 inland lakes MI has tens of thousand of miles of inland lakes shoreline on top of the Great Lakes shoreline.
hey, thanks for clearing that up!

Old 07-02-2009, 09:49 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
New Mexico-

The first atomic bomb was tested in New Mexico

The Governor’s Palace, which lies in Santa Fe, is well known for being the oldest seat of the Government in the United States

New Mexico holds the sixth position of the most sparsely inhabited US State

New Mexico records the highest percentage of Catholics that is seen in any western U.S. State

Public education was almost non-existent in New Mexico until the end of the 19th century. As late as 1888 there was not a single public college or high school in the entire territory

New Mexico has far more sheep and cattle than people. There are only about 12 people per square mile

Since New Mexico's climate is so dry 3/4 of the roads are left unpaved. The roads don't wash away

Old 07-02-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
New Mexico-

The first atomic bomb was tested in New Mexico

The Governor’s Palace, which lies in Santa Fe, is well known for being the oldest seat of the Government in the United States

New Mexico holds the sixth position of the most sparsely inhabited US State

New Mexico records the highest percentage of Catholics that is seen in any western U.S. State

Public education was almost non-existent in New Mexico until the end of the 19th century. As late as 1888 there was not a single public college or high school in the entire territory

New Mexico has far more sheep and cattle than people. There are only about 12 people per square mile

Since New Mexico's climate is so dry 3/4 of the roads are left unpaved. The roads don't wash away
It also has Billy the Kid's Grave....

Old 07-03-2009, 12:19 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Texas

*Parts of Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Wyoming were apart of Texas when Texas became a state in 1845. In 1850 in return for the debt Texas gave up the land for 10,000,000 dollars and was ceded to the Federal government.

http://mapoftheunitedstates.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/1usa.png (broken link)

*The Texas State Capital is the largest state capital in terms of square feet.

* San Jacinto Monument largest column monument in the largest column
mounument in the world.

*Largest statue in Texas it is located in the front of the Dallas Zoo largest Zoo in Texas.

*Texas has the most cities over one million in population Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio

*Largest hotel in Texas Sheraton Dallas Hotel.

*Largest stadium in Texas Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin,tx capacity 94,113

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City