U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2009, 11:40 AM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,826,088 times
Reputation: 957

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
What is a "real" city as opposed to a "fake" city?
Your guess is as good as mine, as the OP apparently has some sort of superiority complex, thinking that where they come from makes them feel like they're better than everyone else. I would think most people could give a crap!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2009, 12:03 PM
QCP
 
185 posts, read 491,633 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
No cities in the south can actually pretend to be real cities.

That's just plain stupid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 12:13 PM
 
2,414 posts, read 5,395,313 times
Reputation: 1212
Most northeners expectations of what a "real city" is, are so misguided. Sunbelt cities may be different, but how does that make them fake?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 12:21 PM
 
Location: USA
3,024 posts, read 7,426,137 times
Reputation: 2384
Let's ask the question I've never seen before. Why exactly is a real city so wonderful? This little "fake" town I live in serves my purpose and definition of a city quite well. Sounds like many of you out there can't bear to be without entertainment and all the "conveniences" at your finger tips. Why exactly is that so important?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
315 posts, read 606,333 times
Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Most northeners expectations of what a "real city" is, are so misguided.
In defense of the OP, what makes southerner's expectations for "real cities" better than those of most northerners?
I think that's equally misguided.

Different people have different expectations on what a big city "should" be like based on their experiences, and all are equally valid.

I agree with the basic crux that the OP is apparently suggesting however...
Cities need to reach a certain density/vibrancy threshold and have a certain "big city" feel to be considered big cities (or "real cities" as is used here). As a northerner at heart, that is my own interpretation and I respect that others would disagree.


Quote:
Sunbelt cities may be different, but how does that make them fake?
The OP never said certain cities were "fake." This is a strawman.

I think the OP means that for a city to feel like a BIG city, it needs to reach a certain population density/size..etc.
Cities that don't reach that population density/size threshold are still cities, just not truly big cities.

Last edited by Lancer78; 07-03-2009 at 01:34 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 01:34 PM
 
2,414 posts, read 5,395,313 times
Reputation: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
In defense of the OP, what makes southerner's expectations for "real cities" better than those of northerners?
I think that's equally misguided.

Different people have different expectations on what a big city "should" be like based on their experiences, and all are equally valid.

I agree with the basic crux that the OP is apparently suggesting however...
Cities need to reach a certain density/vibrancy threshold and have a certain "big city" feel to be considered big cities (or "real cities" as is used here). As a northerner at heart, that is my own interpretation and I respect that others would disagree.


The OP never said certain cities were "fake." This is a strawman.

I think the OP means that for a city to feel like a BIG city, it needs to reach a certain population density/size..etc.
Cities that don't reach that population density/size threshold are still cities, just not truly big cities.
Southeners seem to give respect to northern cities as being "real cities" just as they do with the sunbelt cities. All im saying is, if you don't find sunbelt cities to have that curtain "urban feel" to them that you would want, There is no reason to say they are not "real". And I used the word fake because "Not real" and "Fake" are the same thing. It is a bit offensive to hear the city that I was born and raised and have come to admire being called "not real". Im sure that most southeners feel that way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 01:42 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
59 posts, read 77,678 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
Let's face it, there is a huge North-South divide in this country from east to west. No cities in the south can actually pretend to be real cities.

LA is the one city that really tries, or at least wants to feel, like it is a true city. And in many ways it outdoes Miami, Atlanta, and Houston in terms of being an actual city. But is isn't...NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, Philly, etc--these are real cities. Cities in the South of this country (and I don't mean 'the south' as a region, I mean literally the southern half) just arent' quite there yet...

Cities like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, Philly--even Portland--, actually feel like realy cities.

Everyone always divides it by East/West...but the real division is North/South across the country. In the north you get real cities, in the South you get sprawl.

From San Francisco across to Annapolis is about the true dividing line...
I agree with some of these statements because of my preference for northern cities over southern and west coast cities. Also, I agree with your statement by commenting on the sprawl of southern cities. The four main cities in the south are Dallas, Houston, Miami and Atlanta and all four are sprawled. However, for you to put Portland above those four southern cities is outrageous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 01:44 PM
 
Location: USA
3,024 posts, read 7,426,137 times
Reputation: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Southeners seem to give respect to northern cities as being "real cities" just as they do with the sunbelt cities. All im saying is, if you don't find sunbelt cities to have that curtain "urban feel" to them that you would want, There is no reason to say they are not "real". And I used the word fake because "Not real" and "Fake" are the same thing. It is a bit offensive to hear the city that I was born and raised and have come to admire being called "not real". Im sure that most southeners feel that way.
spot on. I was once under the impression that those real cities didn't contain real people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 02:04 PM
 
Location: The Queen City
174 posts, read 377,899 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Southeners seem to give respect to northern cities as being "real cities" just as they do with the sunbelt cities. All im saying is, if you don't find sunbelt cities to have that curtain "urban feel" to them that you would want, There is no reason to say they are not "real". And I used the word fake because "Not real" and "Fake" are the same thing. It is a bit offensive to hear the city that I was born and raised and have come to admire being called "not real". Im sure that most southeners feel that way.
Very well said.

Yes, many northern cities are much denser in terms of population than many of the larger southern cities, but that's merely a result of the time period in which the core of the city was developed.

Northern cities, which in most cases are older (by major development standards), therefore more urbanized out of necessity because of transportation purposes, or rather lack-there-of during the time frame in which the city boom occurred.

Most Sunbelt cities have experienced their boom in a different time period, which also brings along different needs and desires by most of itheir citizens.

As a born and raised Northerner, now residing in the sunny South, I have to say that the idea that the cities in the South are not "real cities" is just flat out ridiculous.

Of course, most the people that would make such a ridiculous claim, are probably typing their posts from their cozy house in the sprawling SUBURBS outside of their REAL city.

At the end of the day, most people with the means to choose, would choose to live in an comfortable suburban setting, rather than a crowded urban setting. That's why growth and sprawl will always to hand and hand.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 02:15 PM
XBC
 
21 posts, read 48,461 times
Reputation: 40
Where would this forum be without its weekly bashing of Southern cities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:02 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top