U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:14 PM

5,969 posts, read 8,560,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yes, it is. A very uninformed and tired one.
Since you are the expert only your opinion is correct.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 12:20 PM

7,732 posts, read 13,095,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Since you are the expert only your opinion is correct.
I was stating MY opinion.

Why is it necessary to be so rude and condescending? Knock it off, pronto.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:11 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,628,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
Let's face it, there is a huge North-South divide in this country from east to west. No cities in the south can actually pretend to be real cities.

LA is the one city that really tries, or at least wants to feel, like it is a true city. And in many ways it outdoes Miami, Atlanta, and Houston in terms of being an actual city. But is isn't...NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, Philly, etc--these are real cities. Cities in the South of this country (and I don't mean 'the south' as a region, I mean literally the southern half) just arent' quite there yet...

Cities like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, Philly--even Portland--, actually feel like realy cities.

Everyone always divides it by East/West...but the real division is North/South across the country. In the north you get real cities, in the South you get sprawl.

From San Francisco across to Annapolis is about the true dividing line...
I am sorry, but I love this OP. Pure awesomeness!!!!!

Rep points for you, my man (or woman)

Old 10-23-2009, 05:50 PM

4,684 posts, read 8,626,957 times
Charleston I think is also an exception. It is quite urban without having the skyscrapers. It also has an original Southern culture and even dialect. It was once one of the larger cities in the nation.

I think many are missing what the economic impact of a city is. The city is a job center and a place that draws people looking for opportunity. This bashing of the South is not only erroneous but demonstrates an elitist view of some northern forumers.

I would like to know who has the monopoly on what urban is. Maybe this person can tell us what the definition of urban is.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:07 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,495,493 times
I don't know what a "real" city is since they come in all shapes and sizes, and I don't know about a north/south divide on the West Coast. Southern cities on the East Coast and inland east of Kansas City, have a substantially different layout than most Northern cities, in that they are very sprawled out, are heavily car dependent, and have little or no mass transit. There are some exceptions, such as Miami (whose "Southerness" is questionable) and others like Charlotte are trying to become more urban. The last true urban, high-density, mass-transit supported city going North to South is Washington DC, after which the South begins.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:36 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,504,319 times
From reading several comments on these boards, "real city" would be defined as living in the middle of dense urban cores, where living very tightly packed and public transportation is a must.

Sorry, I'd rather live less congested on the outskirts of some southern urban area.

Oh yeah, is North and South a REAL divider???

IMO, most midwestern major cities feel more like being in a southern metro than east coast, so I cant really say you can just divide it into north and south.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:35 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,493,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, Philly, etc--these are real cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City