Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I would rather live in the...
Rust Belt 182 44.61%
Sun Belt 226 55.39%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:13 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Or New Mexico, Oklahoma, West Texas, Georgia.

Yup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 03:49 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Puhlease. The Rust Belt was producing aerospace, medicine, weapons defense, military, etc, back when the Sun Belt was an uneducated swamp. It only took you guys almost 100 years to play catch-up.
Didn't you guys have a 100 year head start? Remember, the Sunbelt is still relatively NEW. That's been pounded into our Sunbelt brains, MANY, MANY, MANY, times by the Northerners(apparently our region is devoid of any history). Look how much the economy and popularity of the Sunbelt has grown given the short amount of time we had. What indicates the Sunbelt falling?

Old 04-12-2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
Yup
Or most of CA, or Nevada, or Central Texas.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:58 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Didn't you guys have a 100 year head start?
Yeah I guess St Augustine, FL being the oldest permanent European settlement on the North American continent doesn't count (Sept 8th, 1565 which is 42 years BEFORE Jamestown, and 55 years before the Pilgrims landed.) Or New Orleans being settled in 1718 doesn't count either. San Augustine, TX missions being formed in 1717 doesn't count as well. Neither does Presidio, TX being formed in 1683 by Jesuit priests from El Paso.

There isn't a 100 year head start in the rust belt over the sun belt. Maybe a 100 year head start in motivation, but not in European history.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:36 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
There isn't a 100 year head start in the rust belt over the sun belt. Maybe a 100 year head start in motivation, but not in European history.
True, the warmer the climate the less people have to work and worry.

They had no motivation to get off their porch and stop drinking tea.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:30 PM

434 posts, read 1,164,466 times
Quote:
Or New Mexico, Oklahoma, West Texas, Georgia.
What about the Okefenokee Swamp?! That's partly in Georgia, if I recall correctly

There are swamplands most anywhere; I work 1 mile from a natural wetland/swamp, and I am in northern Illinois.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah I guess St Augustine, FL being the oldest permanent European settlement on the North American continent doesn't count (Sept 8th, 1565 which is 42 years BEFORE Jamestown, and 55 years before the Pilgrims landed.) Or New Orleans being settled in 1718 doesn't count either. San Augustine, TX missions being formed in 1717 doesn't count as well. Neither does Presidio, TX being formed in 1683 by Jesuit priests from El Paso.

Well tell your fellow NORTHERNERS that, because for SOOOOOOOO long we've been told our region is devoid of any history by people up there.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:08 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:

I don't really like to play the "Pointing fingers at others game" but I kind of have to here.
After the civil war, who was penalized? Not the North, right? Why should they have been, they fought for a good cause.
What Andrew Johnson did to the south after the conclusion of the war was no less than what the English did to the colonies.

Yes, there isn't a 100 year head start in the rustbelt over the sunbelt, but you cannot say that there wasn't any motivation either.
After the conclusion of the civil war, the country headed into a massive industrial era, oh wait, I forgot only the north did, why would industrialists want to be in the south? I mean, after all being beaten down of course. The south wasn't even considered for any industries, most were in the north. Which led to immigrants of all kinds of European nations coming into the north, NOT the south.

So the south had to recover, and it takes time to recover from something like that, and the end result is today, what we see today is the full recovery of the south, and yeahh the northerners aren't going to like it. Why? Because jobs are moving in here in the south because of warmer climates, population growth, and more land.

An example would be Pittsburgh, after being stripped of it's Steel base, it too had to recover, and it's done so quite nicely. In fact recently it held the G20 summit. The economy is doing great there. That's a survivor in my books.

So enough with the complaining, and enough with the pointless reasoning, "no motivation during that time" my foot....
Lets not forget where the largest tobacco plantations, and the largest port (New Orleans) had been at that time.
What caused a decline? The port was heavily destroyed by the Hurricane of 1780. Also the deadliest hurricane in recorded history.
Galveston, which was at least 50X larger than Houston in the early 1900's and late 1890's, was called the New York of the south, and was growing into a major city, until the Hurricane of 1900, that completely destroyed the city. Galveston never fully recovered.
But you never mentioned these things, did you? A lot of things have prevented the south from expanding as rapidly as the north did, but that isn't the case anymore. We're on fair grounds now.

Here this will give brief information, if you search it on other sites, they'll go more in depth about these.

List of deadliest Atlantic hurricanes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-12-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I don't really like to play the "Pointing fingers at others game" but I kind of have to here.
After the civil war, who was penalized? Not the North, right? Why should they have been, they fought for a good cause.
What Andrew Johnson did to the south after the conclusion of the war was no less than what the English did to the colonies.

Yes, there isn't a 100 year head start in the rustbelt over the sunbelt, but you cannot say that there wasn't any motivation either.
After the conclusion of the civil war, the country headed into a massive industrial era, oh wait, I forgot only the north did, why would industrialists want to be in the south? I mean, after all being beaten down of course. The south wasn't even considered for any industries, most were in the north. Which led to immigrants of all kinds of European nations coming into the north, NOT the south.

So the south had to recover, and it takes time to recover from something like that, and the end result is today, what we see today is the full recovery of the south, and yeahh the northerners aren't going to like it. Why? Because jobs are moving in here in the south because of warmer climates, population growth, and more land.

An example would be Pittsburgh, after being stripped of it's Steel base, it too had to recover, and it's done so quite nicely. In fact recently it held the G20 summit. The economy is doing great there. That's a survivor in my books.

So enough with the complaining, and enough with the pointless reasoning, "no motivation during that time" my foot....
Lets not forget where the largest tobacco plantations, and the largest port (New Orleans) had been at that time.
What caused a decline? The port was heavily destroyed by the Hurricane of 1780. Also the deadliest hurricane in recorded history.
Galveston, which was at least 50X larger than Houston in the early 1900's and late 1890's, was called the New York of the south, and was growing into a major city, until the Hurricane of 1900, that completely destroyed the city. Galveston never fully recovered.
But you never mentioned these things, did you? A lot of things have prevented the south from expanding as rapidly as the north did, but that isn't the case anymore. We're on fair grounds now.

Here this will give brief information, if you search it on other sites, they'll go more in depth about these.

List of deadliest Atlantic hurricanes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Exactly, the South had MAJOR setbacks, but kept charging on ANYWAYS. No look at the industry down here. The Sunbelt has kept up with the times.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:18 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Exactly, the South had MAJOR setbacks, but kept charging on ANYWAYS. No look at the industry down here. The Sunbelt has kept up with the times.
Yeah some of these people forget certain aspects of the region.
From what I see, in school we uncover more history belonging to the North and midwest (Rustbelt) than we do about the south. Those places that he listed up there like St. Augistine, FL and whatnot, we never learned anything about that growing up in school. We learned so much about the Quaker settled Pennsylvania, the Dutch settled NY, the rich fertile land near the Hudson that made NYC what it is today. The Boston Tea party, the former national capitals (NYC, and Philadelphia). The birth of skyscrapers (Chicago).

We just learn so much more history of the North than the south, and then memorizing where the first settlements are doesn't help you if you don't know the significance and history behind them.
They said New Orleans has an early history, but how many of them know of the hardships NO has had to face?
Next they'll be saying that the climate in the south makes growth more possible than the weather in the north.
Yeah, the south is warm, and certain areas become very humid and hot like Houston, but we have AC everywhere we go now, even when walking down a street in downtown, there have vents on rooftops for buildings on sidewalks to keep people cool. Is it the south's fault that the north doesn't put heaters to their roofs on sidewalks? No, it's not. Plus that would be weird, having a heater there.

It was easier to live in the north before AC because they had ways to warm up their homes, it's easier to live in the south now, and the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City