Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: I would rather live in the...
Rust Belt 182 44.61%
Sun Belt 226 55.39%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM
 
Location: The City
22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Reputation: 7974

Advertisements

What exactly is the rust belt? to me it seems like places like Toledo and Gary etc.

Is the NE part of the rust belt? I thought this was basically a midwest versus Sunbelt; i think I misunderstood what this thread is about. I always thought the rust belt was west of the applacians and east of the great plains and north of the south (like that last description)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
What exactly is the rust belt? to me it seems like places like Toledo and Gary etc.

Is the NE part of the rust belt? I thought this was basically a midwest versus Sunbelt; i think I misunderstood what this thread is about. I always thought the rust belt was west of the applacians and east of the great plains and north of the south (like that last description)
Rust Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's the official rustbelt, but many include Boston, and up state NT as well.

Goes from Chicago to NYC, and Upper Michigan down to Baltimore at least, and maybe even DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 08:45 PM
 
Location: The City
22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Reputation: 7974
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Rust Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's the official rustbelt, but many include Boston, and up state NT as well.

So based on this it excludes all the cities in the NE, NYC, Philly, Balt, DC, and Boston; ok fair enough; I didnt think i lived in the rust belt maybe Pharma and Finance belt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
419 posts, read 445,167 times
Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
What exactly is the rust belt? to me it seems like places like Toledo and Gary etc.

Is the NE part of the rust belt? I thought this was basically a midwest versus Sunbelt; i think I misunderstood what this thread is about. I always thought the rust belt was west of the applacians and east of the great plains and north of the south (like that last description)
Like dude, the rust belt is more like a state of mind man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So based on this it excludes all the cities in the NE, NYC, Philly, Balt, DC, and Boston; ok fair enough; I didnt think i lived in the rust belt maybe Pharma and Finance belt
There's like a faint red where NYC and Baltimore, and Chicago are, so it counts.

My bad last post had a typo, upstate "NY" not NT lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 PM
 
Location: The City
22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Reputation: 7974
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
There's like a faint red where NYC and Baltimore, and Chicago are, so it counts.

My bad last post had a typo, upstate "NY" not NT lol.

"The region can be broadly defined as the region beginning WEST of the Northeast Megalopolis and running west to Minnesota"

That would exclude the cities in the NE based on the definition and honestly I have lived in the NE my whole life (NYC, DC, Hoboken, and obviously Philly) and I have never thought of any of these places as rust belt - a serious question are these percieved that way? maybe Allentown but not east of there? Everyone I know is in Pharma, Hedge Funds, or a Lawyer or Dr. Yes Philly was a huge industrial engine 50 or 100 or 150 years ago but the economy has long sinces transformed; Telecomunications, Pharma, Finance, and Insurance. I guess I never thought of this area as the rust belt and was surprised when i read the comparisons to the cities in the NE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
"The region can be broadly defined as the region beginning WEST of the Northeast Megalopolis and running west to Minnesota"

That would exclude the cities in the NE based on the definition and honestly I have lived in the NE my whole life (NYC, DC, Hoboken, and obviously Philly) and I have never thought of any of these places as rust belt - a serious question are these percieved that way? maybe Allentown but not east of there? Everyone I know is in Pharma, Hedge Funds, or a Lawyer or Dr. Yes Philly was a huge industrial engine 50 or 100 or 150 years ago but the economy has long sinces transformed; Telecomunications, Pharma, Finance, and Insurance. I guess I never thought of this area as the rust belt and was surprised when i read the comparisons to the cities in the NE
Surprising to see the polls turnouts for this thread, I assume that many people considered themselves rustbelt, by identifying themselves from the northern areas. (Midwest, northest, etc)

LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Reputation: 10370
Chicago, IMO, is not rust belt whatsoever. I mean, there are a few shuttered old factories, but the city has rocked out on reinventing itself time and time again. The western suburbs of Chicago, where Im from, are about the furthest thing from rust belt that you can imagine. In fact, it quite reminds me of the sun belt in many areas.... tons of new strip malls, mile upon mile of tract housing, everything new is painted in earth tones, etc, etc. If it werent for the charming, old-school suburbs like Geneva, St. Charles, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, etc, I think I wouldnt like the area nearly as much as I do, because its too new and too flavorless in many areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Chicago, IMO, is not rust belt whatsoever. I mean, there are a few shuttered old factories, but the city has rocked out on reinventing itself time and time again. The western suburbs of Chicago, where Im from, are about the furthest thing from rust belt that you can imagine. In fact, it quite reminds me of the sun belt in many areas.... tons of new strip malls, mile upon mile of tract housing, everything new is painted in earth tones, etc, etc. If it werent for the charming, old-school suburbs like Geneva, St. Charles, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, etc, I think I wouldnt like the area nearly as much as I do, because its too new and too flavorless in many areas.
Chicago is a great example of a city that has diversified it's economy. That's an example that I believe other cities across the country can follow even LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,298 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Reputation: 16389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Chicago, IMO, is not rust belt whatsoever. I mean, there are a few shuttered old factories, but the city has rocked out on reinventing itself time and time again. The western suburbs of Chicago, where Im from, are about the furthest thing from rust belt that you can imagine. In fact, it quite reminds me of the sun belt in many areas.... tons of new strip malls, mile upon mile of tract housing, everything new is painted in earth tones, etc, etc. If it werent for the charming, old-school suburbs like Geneva, St. Charles, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, etc, I think I wouldnt like the area nearly as much as I do, because its too new and too flavorless in many areas.
I agree about Chicago not being 'Rust Belt'...its' diverse economy IMO exempts it from its' sister cities in the region.
However, I am amused (as usual) by your attempt to characterize the Sunbelt cities as 'one note' cities having nothing but 'flavorless' suburbs, with 'miles upon miles of tract housing'...yes, they do have their share of those areas (as does Chicago, as you so graciously pointed out), but apparently you are unaware (or unwilling to acknowledge) that the Sunbelt cities also have 'old-school' suburbs, as you put it. For all the neighborhoods that you cite in Chicago, I could in Atlanta cite Midtown, Virginia-Highland, Poncey-Highland, Inman Park, Grant Park, Candler Park, Decatur, Druid Hills, Decatur, Morningside, Brookwood Hills, Buckhead, Brookhaven, West End, Ansley Park...'etc'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top