Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I would rather live in the...
Rust Belt 182 44.61%
Sun Belt 226 55.39%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:02 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
Its gotten better but I miss him on family guy. He needs to get back with the boys!
I really think they should've added Jerome as the 4th friend. Jerome was cool, but he was only there for one episode...

Anyways, getting somewhat back on topic, I think many of us have already established that some major cities like Philadelphia, NYC, Baltimore, DC, Chicago are not apart of the rustbelt.

With that being said, this is probably a total sunbelt dominated thread, because it covers half of the American land, and has a wide range of large cities vs. the rustbelts smaller range of cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 04:32 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,489,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I really think they should've added Jerome as the 4th friend. Jerome was cool, but he was only there for one episode...

Anyways, getting somewhat back on topic, I think many of us have already established that some major cities like Philadelphia, NYC, Baltimore, DC, Chicago are not apart of the rustbelt.

With that being said, this is probably a total sunbelt dominated thread, because it covers half of the American land, and has a wide range of large cities vs. the rustbelts smaller range of cities.
Up until this thread was resurected on page 13, the poll was actually very close. Since "Sun Belt" is pulling ahead, a lot of new people who prefer the sunbelt must have joined since last September.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Up until this thread was resurected on page 13, the poll was actually very close. Since "Sun Belt" is pulling ahead, a lot of new people who prefer the sunbelt must have joined since last September.
Either that or the boundaries for the rustbelt were not established during the start of this thread. And many from NYC, Philly, Chicago, DC, and Baltimore thought they were integrated members of the rustbelt region.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:12 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,489,514 times
Quote:
Either that or the boundaries for the rustbelt were not established during the start of this thread. And many from NYC, Philly, Chicago, DC, and Baltimore thought they were integrated members of the rustbelt region.
Maybe, but those places, IMO, have a lot more in common with the rust belt than they do with the sun belt. I guess it depends on what a person feels are the defining factors of a place.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Maybe, but those places, IMO, have a lot more in common with the rust belt than they do with the sun belt. I guess it depends on what a person feels are the defining factors of a place.
There's truth to your words.
Based off of what appears to the common eye, I can take your statement, "but those places, IMO, have a lot more in common with the rust belt than they do with the sun belt" and conclude that many of the people from those places (New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Baltimore, and Chicago) voted for the restbelt region in the poll.

That could be a possible source for the overwhelmingly large restbelt support displayed on the poll. After all like you said, those cities in the parenthesis in my above paragraph DO have more in common with the rustbelt cities than they do with the sunbelt cities.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:53 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
There's truth to your words.
Based off of what appears to the common eye, I can take your statement, "but those places, IMO, have a lot more in common with the rust belt than they do with the sun belt" and conclude that many of the people from those places (New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Baltimore, and Chicago) voted for the restbelt region in the poll.

That could be a possible source for the overwhelmingly large restbelt support displayed on the poll. After all like you said, those cities in the parenthesis in my above paragraph DO have more in common with the rustbelt cities than they do with the sunbelt cities.

Actually I voted Sunbelt

Although if the choice were a single city in the regions I would have chosen Chicago as my favorite; maybe my favorite in the country

Old 04-14-2010, 07:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
This is SO much more attractive and less bland:

Hmmm...looks pretty cookie-cutter to me as well.

http://everystockphoto.s3.amazonaws....an_10490_l.jpg
The Arizona version. Sooooo much prettier.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:49 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times
Quote:
Well, if we go by the original definition, I would say those cities would be part of the rustbelt.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Well, if we go by the original definition, I would say those cities would be part of the rustbelt.
IMO, I would say that would make the basis of this thread a lot better as well, it would give people more to compare with, and it would be a good comparison then. Right now, it's more like just picking on the Rustbelt for no reason, and singling them out. With those cities (NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, Baltimore, Boston) it would actually give the sunbelt a great deal of opposition.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:15 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
IMO, I would say that would make the basis of this thread a lot better as well, it would give people more to compare with, and it would be a good comparison then. Right now, it's more like just picking on the Rustbelt for no reason, and singling them out. With those cities (NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, Baltimore, Boston) it would actually give the sunbelt a great deal of opposition.

Actually; maybe we should start a NE versus Sunbelt; the sunbelt is getting more formidible by the day in terms of opposition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City