U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I would rather live in the...
Rust Belt 181 45.14%
Sun Belt 220 54.86%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 01:04 PM

7,712 posts, read 4,200,975 times

Advertisements

I'll take the high desert, four-season, mild winter sun-belt. We get a dusting of snow and see it on the mountains. Winter highs are around 50. Summers are almost never over 100 and humidity is less than 20% most days. The sun will get you at 5000+ feet of elevation before the heat does, hence the shady portals and outdoor spaces. My local big city is Albuquerque (not huge) and Santa Fe is about 45 minutes away. Both are very old cities compared to other sun-belt cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 01:05 PM

31,099 posts, read 28,824,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Chicago I’ve known about, but I wasn’t aware that LA’s sunbelt status was in question. To me, saying Chicago isn’t rust belt would be like saying New York isn’t northeast.
Chicago is a recovered Rustbelt city like LA is a mature/developed Sunbelt city. Both cities have evolved beyond the conditions and characteristics that initially defined their respective regions.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:16 PM

1,758 posts, read 1,057,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Chicago I’ve known about, but I wasn’t aware that LA’s sunbelt status was in question. To me, saying Chicago isn’t rust belt would be like saying New York isn’t northeast.
Both the average rust belt and sun belt city tend to have a solid middle class, with not too many extraordinarily rich people living there. Chicago and LA are both world class cities with tons of white collar/high income residents. If people are leaving Chicago, it's not because of lack of industry, it's because they're being taxed/priced out. This is simply not true for places like Detroit, Cleveland, etc, hence the distinction.

I mean Chicago's layout resembles that of a rust belt city, and LA's a sunbelt city. But the class structures, economies, amenities, etc. differ from the rest of their respective "belts". They both are total standouts.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:57 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,047,826 times
Rust-belt without a doubt. The rust-belt cities often have a great architecture, history, industrial character, atmosphere, and urban exploration opportunities that cities in the South and West lack. I've visited several cities in the South and West and found them to be unimpressive and lacking character in general. Only Forth Worth had a surprisingly nice downtown.

Rust-belt cities like Chicago and Detroit have a beautiful downtown, the Fisher building is to me the most beautiful building on earth. The only non rust-belt city that can match rust-belt architecture is New York.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:36 PM

5,935 posts, read 14,287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Both the average rust belt and sun belt city tend to have a solid middle class, with not too many extraordinarily rich people living there. Chicago and LA are both world class cities with tons of white collar/high income residents. If people are leaving Chicago, it's not because of lack of industry, it's because they're being taxed/priced out. This is simply not true for places like Detroit, Cleveland, etc, hence the distinction.

I mean Chicago's layout resembles that of a rust belt city, and LA's a sunbelt city. But the class structures, economies, amenities, etc. differ from the rest of their respective "belts". They both are total standouts.
How about Pittsburgh? Before you answer, consider what that city's class structure and economy was 100 years ago.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:11 AM

685 posts, read 302,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
This has always been the boarder ( cities below lower Arkansas boarder, or cities below upper Louisana boarder)

Oh yeah Charleston, South Carolina is also a example of a city thats barely below the boarder.
Columbia, SC, which is further north, is the third sunniest and average hottest in the state though. So wouldn’t it be above the line?

Old 11-30-2019, 07:26 PM
sub
Status: "If I post, there's a legitimate reason for it." (set 10 days ago)

1,253 posts, read 567,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Chicago is a recovered Rustbelt city like LA is a mature/developed Sunbelt city. Both cities have evolved beyond the conditions and characteristics that initially defined their respective regions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post

I still don’t get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City