Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I would rather live in the...
Rust Belt 182 44.61%
Sun Belt 226 55.39%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggabq View Post
All I'm saying is that its possible for humans to survive in the desert

Nothing more than that
No, what you did was use Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia as counterexamples to the proposition that living in the desert is eco-unfriendly. And your counterexamples fail in two ways: one, not only were ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia not situated in deserts when the civilizations rose, but in fact human activity helped those two regions to become deserts, which supports the other side's argument, not yours.

Whether or not it's possible for large numbers of people in the desert in "eco-friendly" fashion is not an argument I'm particularly interested in having right now. But if one intends to argue for the proposition that it is possible -- or that people can live in the desert at all -- one had better come up with better examples than ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 02:41 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not happening so far.

The sun belt has no appeal to me, at least not as a place to live. I've lived in two rust-belt cities now and I've liked them both. So I guess my vote goes to the rust belt.
Yeah, I see that! Rust belt winning 32-31!!!!!!!!!

Take that you sprawl-huggers! Maybe we'll donate y'all a nice SUV to go destory the earth in while we revitalize our beautiful, historic, well-built housing stock!!! .

...... just kidding (but we are finally beating you at something) (watches vote turn dramatically)

Old 07-05-2009, 02:41 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
This has always been the boarder ( cities below lower Arkansas boarder, or cities below upper Louisana boarder)

Oh yeah Charleston, South Carolina is also a example of a city thats barely below the boarder.
Show me a source. And it's spelled "border."

Old 07-05-2009, 03:43 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I'll take the rust belt.

I like the four different seasons, the friendly people, the public transportation, the rich cultural histories.

I am no advent hater of Sun Belt cities, but one cannot deny that New York, Chicago, Philly, Boston, DC, and the like have many, many more things than any of the Sun Belt cities combined.

And much of the northeast IS basically the Rust Belt, as they did rely on manufacturing like the Midwest.

The Sun Belt just has warm winters. And hurricanes. And plenty of subdivisions and retirement centers.
1. The Sunbelt has 4 seasons, friendly people, public transportation, and rich cultural history.

2. NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, D.C. are NOT part of the Rustbelt.

3. Much of the Sunbelt also relied on manufacturing. There is a long list of industrial cities in the South.

4. The entire U.S. has plenty of subdivisions and retirement centers...and every region has it's weather issues, but only the coastal areas of the South has hurricanes - the majority of the Sunbelt doesn't...and half of the region has cold winters as well.

5. Learn some geography and history before making such silly posts.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:47 PM

258 posts, read 1,034,635 times
For me its all about sports

Buffalo, Pittsburg, Philly, Cleveland easily beat Dallas, Miami, San Diego, and Atlanta

fact

heck...

even Cleveland beats all four of those in sports terms

Old 07-05-2009, 03:51 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StampedeCity View Post

Buffalo, Pittsburg, Philly, Cleveland easily beat Dallas, Miami, San Diego, and Atlanta

fact

heck...

Seriously, how many people do you think move to a city solely because of it's sports teams? Maybe those shirtless miscreants with the multicolored afro wigs...

Old 07-05-2009, 04:56 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:

fact

heck...

Are you serious?

11 of the last 16 NBA Champions have been teams from Sunbelt cities...and 7 of the last 16 teams that lost in the NBA finals have been teams from Sunbelt cities...

Pittsburgh and maybe Buffalo are the only Rustbelt NFL teams that can even hold a candle to the dynasties from Miami, Dallas, San Francisco, and D.C.

Which Rustbelt cities have had successful MLB teams? Cincinatti, Philadelphia, and Cleveland (somewhat)...but certainly no better than L.A., Atlanta, and Phoenix.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:01 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
Quote:

fact

heck...

What about college sports? College sports are a lot more passionate and exciting than pro sports. Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Austin, Gainsville and many more football stadiums get louder on fall saturdays than any NFL stadium in the rust belt.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Are you serious?

11 of the last 16 NBA Champions have been teams from Sunbelt cities...and 7 of the last 16 teams that lost in the NBA finals have been teams from Sunbelt cities...

Pittsburgh and maybe Buffalo are the only Rustbelt NFL teams that can even hold a candle to the dynasties from Miami, Dallas, San Francisco, and D.C.

Which Rustbelt cities have had successful MLB teams? Cincinatti, Philadelphia, and Cleveland (somewhat)...but certainly no better than L.A., Atlanta, and Phoenix.
NBA sucks

Its all about football

Old 07-05-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
What about college sports? College sports are a lot more passionate and exciting than pro sports. Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Austin, Gainsville and many more football stadiums get louder on fall saturdays than any NFL stadium in the rust belt.
ohio state please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City