Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 04:29 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,318 times

Advertisements

What exactly are you all considering major cities? You all say Charlotte, but isn't Raleigh's MSA not much smaller? Same goes for Tampa and a few other cities. What is a major city?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 04:36 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
That's exactly what I'm saying.

I will try to explain.

The continuous urbanized area of KCMO and Metro KC is far more dense than the MSA stats or KCMO's city stats. It's actually kind of confusing. Basically, when you enter into the built up part of KC (which is a tiny part of the actual MSA). This area starts when urban development is continuous. This area feels and is more dense than Charlotte.

The city of KCMO is the same deal. Much of the continuous urbanized area of metro KCMO doesn't even include much of the city of KCMO because the city of KCMO annexed far into a part of the region that is not as built up.

Rather than looking at MSA stats or city stats, look at the big mass of developed area in KC. You have to in KC because KC is not your typical city where you have a landlocked central city. Again, it's very confusing, but let me put this into numbers for you then when you come to KC you can see for yourself what I'm talking about because there is a pretty substantial difference between KC and Charlotte.

BTW, all of this is coming from somebody that has extensive knowledge of all the big cities. All you have to do is visit my website. All I do is visit cities.

So here goes.

The continuos built up area of Kansas City is 1.4 million people in 580 square miles with a density of 2300 per square mile.

The continuos built up area of Charlotte is 750,000 people in 435 square miles with a density of 1700 per square mile.

Read that over and over and try to comprehend what that it's saying. It's not putting down Charlotte or trying to make KC look better than it is. Those are facts and the best facts one can use to compare two cities vs using stats that include 80% BS numbers.

What that is saying is that KC has about twice the urbanized population as Charlotte. After the 750k, development in Charlotte becomes low density, spread out and leapfrogging. After about 1.4 million, KC does the same. But even in those areas, KC has a density that is 25% higher. So the area of KC that most people live in or about 75% of the MSA population, is twice the size and 25% more dense than the same area in Charlotte. This is why the city feels considerably larger than Charlotte outside your quite impressive downtown CBD.

Following me at all here???

Old 12-07-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
What exactly are you all considering major cities? You all say Charlotte, but isn't Raleigh's MSA not much smaller? Same goes for Tampa and a few other cities. What is a major city?!
I personally consider any city (metro area) over 3/4 million to be a major city and sometimes it can be even smaller. But then you have the top 20-30 cities which are generally going to be the top major cities that have the pro sports teams, larger cultural attractions etc.

So Omaha may not have a MLB team, but it's still a major city, especially for the region it's in. It has much of the same kinds of things that larger cities have on a smaller scale such as cultural attractions, minor league sports, urban development vs suburban development, skyline etc.

I think it's silly to think that a city like Omaha or Des Moines or Corpus Christi or Raleigh or Birmingham are not a major cities. They are quite major actually. Not as large as other towns, but still very important cities, especially for their respective regions and to those that live near Birmingham or Raleigh, they are quite "major" because those are the primary cities for large regions.

If you stuck Omaha between Philly and NYC, it would become substantially less major. Much like if Providence or Hartford were in the Midwest, they would instantly be much more important and major cities. So it also has to do with location to some degree. But even a city like Albany is a pretty major city for the area while a small city like Boise or Anchorage are huge cities for their areas and would be considered major cities for a very large geographic area.

Last edited by kcmo; 12-07-2009 at 05:01 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 06:38 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Charlotte has a major presence in financial services which means it gets a lot more mention and that it gets a significant amount of traffic going in and out of the region. What is KC's major industry? How big of a player is it?

Old 12-07-2009, 06:52 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
What exactly are you all considering major cities? You all say Charlotte, but isn't Raleigh's MSA not much smaller?
The difference is that Charlotte is the undisputed center of its metro, whereas the Triangle area has Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill as central cities. The city of Raleigh is roughly half the size of the city of Charlotte, even though both regions have similar populations.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Charlotte has a major presence in financial services which means it gets a lot more mention and that it gets a significant amount of traffic going in and out of the region. What is KC's major industry? How big of a player is it?
I think the main reason Charlotte gets so much attention is because it's the second major city in the south / southeast and the city has experienced tremendous growth while the economy was booming due to the financial industry as you mentioned.

My only point was the city really does not compare to KC or really most cities in the 2 million population range once you leave the central business district. That's not a slam, it's just how the city grew and the numbers I posted in the previous page proves it. It just seems like Charlotte has some of the more arrogant supporters. I actually like Charlotte, but when it comes to being an urban city, the city still has a ways to go. Charlotte is Oklahoma City with a bunch of new towers downtown. That’s how it feels, that how it looks from the ground and the air. So when people from Charlotte constantly talk about being a city that has left KC behind, I just don’t think they know what they are talking about. KC is larger, more urban, more dense and more interesting than Charlotte IMO. KC has more to do and see and simply feels and acts like a more established big city. Now again, this is not something most people will agree with because I think most people just don’t think much of KC at all. But in my opinion, the city is still in a higher tier than Charlotte. Not sure how long that will be, but I think KC is still a solid city and contrary to popular belief, still has a very bright future. (it's not a has been city).

Now to answer your question.

KC has a very diverse economy. Some of the top industries:

Transportation, engineering, telecommunications, creative, federal government, financial, life science and heavy industry.

Transportation
KC is in the center of the country and at the intersection of several major cross country interstates and highways. KC has several large trucking companies and many large distribution centers and multimode transportation facilities. KC is the second largest freight rail hub in the nation second only to Chicago.

KC is the engineering capital of the world. There are at least a half dozen major engineering companies headquartered in KC and many others have a major presence do to all the talent in the area. Companies include, HNTB, Burns and McDonnell, Black & Veatch and many others. Nearly every sports arena and stadium built in the past few decades have been designed in KC. KC by far has more engineers per capita than any place in the world.

Telecommunications include the world HQ of Sprint Nextel along with a major presence of At&t and others. Other tech companies HQd in KC include Garmin (GPS devices) and Cerner (medical software).

KC has some of the countries largest advertising agencies as well as the world HQ of Hallmark Cards.

The federal government employees over 30,000 people in KC.

Finacial companies HQd in KC include H&R Block and American Century Investments.

Life sciences are up and coming with some major local and national companies in the area. But one standout is the Stowers institute for medical research, a campus with a billion dollars of donated money and a campus that draws scientist from around the world.

KC also is doing comparatively well with some of its more traditional industry. Manufacturing. KC has two of the most productive and consistently busy assembly plants in the nation (GM and Ford) as well as Harley Davison and many other manufacturing plants continue to operate in vibrant industrial districts while many similar distrits in other cities have all but shut down.

So, I think KC holds it’s own. Diversity is a good thing.

We will see how Charlotte pulls out of this economic crisis since I think the banking industry is still in serious trouble. The city has a lot of eggs in one basket.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:54 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
My only point was the city really does not compare to KC or really most cities in the 2 million population range once you leave the central business district. That's not a slam, it's just how the city grew and the numbers I posted in the previous page proves it. It just seems like Charlotte has some of the more arrogant supporters. I actually like Charlotte, but when it comes to being an urban city, the city still has a ways to go. Charlotte is Oklahoma City with a bunch of new towers downtown. That’s how it feels, that how it looks from the ground and the air. So when people from Charlotte constantly talk about being a city that has left KC behind, I just don’t think they know what they are talking about. KC is larger, more urban, more dense and more interesting than Charlotte IMO. KC has more to do and see and simply feels and acts like a more established big city. Now again, this is not something most people will agree with because I think most people just don’t think much of KC at all. But in my opinion, the city is still in a higher tier than Charlotte. Not sure how long that will be, but I think KC is still a solid city and contrary to popular belief, still has a very bright future. (it's not a has been city).
In terms of density and the built environment, you're right; Charlotte doesn't have anything on KCMO and its stock of historic, architecturally varied buildings. I'm not sure exactly who is it that says that Charlotte has "left KC behind," but I do know that the city has more recently experienced more economic prosperity as reflected in Charlotte's higher GDP figures.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:37 PM

214 posts, read 872,011 times
well here is my thought.
major city
1.new york city
2.los angeles
3.chicago
4.d.c./baltimore
5.houston
6.dallas
7.philadelphia
8.bay area
9.atlanta
10.miami
11.las vegas just because what happen in vegas stay in vegas--it major no matter what
12.detroit
13.boston
14.phenix
the new major city on the list
seattle been a major city for a good while
minneapolis
san diego has been a major city due to the naval base it's just that its over look by los angeles
kansas city mo.
st.louis
indianapolis
pittsburgh
columbus oh
cleveland
cincinnati
louisville
omaha
nashville
charlotte
tampa
milwaukee the rust belt city making another come back
denver
san antonio
austin
portland or.
salt lake city/ogden/provo ut.-with all the new things going on there is starting to becoming a major city also
orlando

Old 12-08-2009, 12:03 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebreezy View Post
well here is my thought.
major city
1.new york city
2.los angeles
3.chicago
4.d.c./baltimore
5.houston
6.dallas
7.philadelphia
8.bay area
9.atlanta
10.miami
11.las vegas just because what happen in vegas stay in vegas--it major no matter what
12.detroit
13.boston
14.phenix
the new major city on the list
seattle been a major city for a good while
minneapolis
san diego has been a major city due to the naval base it's just that its over look by los angeles
kansas city mo.
st.louis
indianapolis
pittsburgh
columbus oh
cleveland
cincinnati
louisville
omaha
nashville
charlotte
tampa
milwaukee the rust belt city making another come back
denver
san antonio
austin
portland or.
salt lake city/ogden/provo ut.-with all the new things going on there is starting to becoming a major city also
orlando
Baltimore?

Old 12-08-2009, 12:37 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,033 times
Phx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City