Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:23 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
this was a good conversation until the Webster's dictionary talk showed up.
It was an ill-informed conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:27 PM

229 posts, read 520,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatemorons View Post
I know. However, people on here are saying cities that have much larger metro populations, and more established urban areas are not Major cities, but Charlotte is.... Charlotte does not have a large metro population, and it has a very very small actual urban core. Most of it is a very large suburb. Cities like Cincinatti, Pittsburgh, St. louis, Kansas City, and others have larger or about equal metro populations, much larger and much more dense urban cores, and are not considered by most? These cities may have a smaller city population, but you city populations can't tell anything. They always vary among city areas. The cities mentioned all have more dense populations with smaller city areas.
A denser, older, more estabilshed, less suburban place does NOT make a city more "Major" than the next city. It has to do with the both population and economic importance (and maybe pro sports and a few other offerings). Charlotte, in this regard is a major city, despite it being very suburban. I will tell you this though, I would take Charlotte's beautiful, walkable downtown way before any of the other cities you mentioned.

Last edited by Kingsley; 07-08-2009 at 03:36 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 04:26 PM

198 posts, read 261,863 times
CHARLOTTE has a major airport the 8th busiest in the country, It is a major financial center, it is a major transportaion hub, It has major leauge sports and shopping, The charlotte metro is small and in one instance does not inclue the adjacent county but it is the center of the fifth largest urban region in the nation and has over 7 million people within a 100 mile radius of the city. Charlotte will continue to grow after the economy rebounds because of its ideal location and the quality of life thats achievable there.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:56 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
CHARLOTTE has a major airport the 8th busiest in the country, It is a major financial center, it is a major transportaion hub, It has major leauge sports and shopping, The charlotte metro is small and in one instance does not inclue the adjacent county but it is the center of the fifth largest urban region in the nation and has over 7 million people within a 100 mile radius of the city. Charlotte will continue to grow after the economy rebounds because of its ideal location and the quality of life thats achievable there.
I think you meant to say Here?

Old 07-08-2009, 05:09 PM

157 posts, read 397,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
A denser, older, more estabilshed, less suburban place does NOT make a city more "Major" than the next city. It has to do with the both population and economic importance (and maybe pro sports and a few other offerings). Charlotte, in this regard is a major city, despite it being very suburban. I will tell you this though, I would take Charlotte's beautiful, walkable downtown way before any of the other cities you mentioned.
Glad somebody agrees! And I think Charlotte clearly fits the criteria posed by the question of this thread.

But I still stick with Austin, TX, as perhaps the best example. 20 years ago the place was not a major player in any regard outside of Texas. And today, it is evolving into a major city quite rapidly. It is progressive, highly educated, very livable, booming in population, full of things to do, and rising exponentially in economic importance. The title of this thread isn't "What are the current major cities in America" - it it what cities are EVOLVING into major cities. I never tried to suggest that Austin was currently a "major city". So, people from the Northeast enjoying your 300-year old "culture filled" cities...relax .

Old 07-08-2009, 05:31 PM

542 posts, read 1,498,974 times
Definitely Seattle, if it isn't there already. I'm personally hoping that it doesn't happen, cuz it's just fine the way that it is(combining cosmopolitan/outdoors/small-town feel all in one great package). But it seems inevitable.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:35 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Default Mid-Size Urban Centers..Are Becoming The New Major Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
Hello, all

Do you have opinions of any U.S. cities that are evolving in population, development, etc.? I think that my home city, Kansas City is starting to flare up in population and development, but I'm sure that it is not going to continue to be as strong as it is because of the economy. The metro has some great development to, both sides, MO and KS. What I wish would happen is to have much much more development in the downtown/plaza/westport area. I would also like to see more population increase in the downtown loop. Denver, St. Louis, and Louisville are some more cities that I have noticed are making strong progress to become great cities too. What are some of you're opinions of some of the smaller cities that are well on there way?
I consider Mid-Size Metro's area's as the new Major American Cities
and "mis-size" is 2 Million to 4 Million , so Pittsburgh , Kansas City , St.
Louis , Denver , Seattle , Portland , Minneapolis St. Paul , Sacramento ,
Cleveland , Tampa St. Peterburg , Charlotte....Austin Tx....

Old 07-08-2009, 07:51 PM

198 posts, read 261,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
I think you meant to say Here?
I don't live in Charlotte or the Charlotte metro area.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:54 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Of course I'd put my own city on this list along with Raleigh, Austin, and Nashville. Probably Fort Worth too, despite being in Dallas's shadow. Indy and Columbus have what it takes as well.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:11 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Well, obviously I am a "Charlotte guy", however I do understand what some folks are saying about Charlotte lacking in the urban department. That is quickly changing and I for one am glad to see it.

With that said, Charlotte is most certainly a major city when it comes to business and transportation (trucking, air cargo, rail freight). Energy is also another booming sector of Charlotte's economic foot print. Portland, Oregon should be on this list too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City