Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:25 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Well, obviously I am a "Charlotte guy", however I do understand what some folks are saying about Charlotte lacking in the urban department. That is quickly changing and I for one am glad to see it.

With that said, Charlotte is most certainly a major city when it comes to business and transportation (trucking, air cargo, rail freight). Energy is also another booming sector of Charlotte's economic foot print. Portland, Oregon should be on this list too.
IMO the difference in Charlotte and the other cities mentioned is that the Queen City seems to have the same can-do attitude of boosterism that I have seen in cities such as Dallas, Houston and Atlanta. Generally, Charlotteans feel really good about their city and want to be a part of its' future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 03:04 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
Yeah, Charlotte is no New York, but it definitely has potential as well as many of the other cities that are mentioned. When you ask someone around the world to name a U.S. city, more than likely they will say New York or Los Angeles. Maybe Miami, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, San Fran, etc will get mentioned. I'm not saying Charlotte or Austin wouldn't get mentioned, but no where near the lines of New York or L.A. Charlotte and Austin are still along the lines of Denver, San Antonio, Louisville, Philly, etc. which are all cities with potential, but a few have a better chance.

I will def. give it to Austin, S.A., Charlotte, even Denver.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:43 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Philly is in a different league than Louisville, San Antonio, Charlotte, and Austin. Denver is more on par with cities like Seatlle, Minneapolis, St. Louis, San Diego.

Louisville, San Antonio, Charlotte, and Austin are all 4th or 5th tier cities/areas, but all have great potential.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:03 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
I'd consider all those cities about the same league. Each have their specialties though, which may make them seem to be in different leagues.

Though all I'm really considering is that they are not in the big leagues, since I view New York as the prime example.

Last edited by Lovely95; 07-09-2009 at 04:16 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 06:54 PM

47 posts, read 142,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
Definitely Austin, Texas. 20 years ago that place wasn't even really on the map.
I agree with this post.. If you look at population compared with sprawl, Austin wins, hands down... If Austin and San Antonio ever converge into one defined MSA (which will depend on water availability), this new MSA would not only be the most populous in TX, but probably in the top 6 of the US! austin's pop. 1960- 186,500
austin's pop. 2009- 760,000 (est)
Round Rock, a suburb of Austin, is the 2nd fastest growing city in the US

Old 07-09-2009, 06:58 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmoses View Post
I agree with this post.. If you look at population compared with sprawl, Austin wins, hands down... If Austin and San Antonio ever converge into one defined MSA (which will depend on water availability), this new MSA would not only be the most populous in TX, but probably in the top 6 of the US! austin's pop. 1960- 186,500
austin's pop. 2009- 760,000 (est)
Round Rock, a suburb of Austin, is the 2nd fastest growing city in the US
Um, no.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Um, no.
No to the Round Rock statement, or just no in general? If you take the 4 million that already live in the two MSA's combined with the potential growth of the I 35 corridor.... it's far fetched, but possible. Anyway, the question was about small cities turning into major cities.. you cant say no to austin in that respect.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:33 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
No to the Round Rock statement, or just no in general? If you take the 4 million that already live in the two MSA's combined with the potential growth of the I 35 corridor.... it's far fetched, but possible. Anyway, the question was about small cities turning into major cities.. you cant say no to austin in that respect.
Ew, please don't sound hopeful that sprawl will boost the city's bragging rights.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
How do you see Austin and San Antonio becoming one combined MSA? There's over 80+ miles separating the two from their city centers. In addition, are we to assume that every other city will mysteriously stop growing so that Austin/San Antonio will somehow fall into the top six MSA's in the country??? Better yet, even though Austin is booming now, who's to say that it's growth won't slow down in the future like what has happened with many other cities after experiencing tremendous growth?

Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Ew, please don't sound hopeful that sprawl will boost the city's bragging rights.
I remember when it was a hike to get up to cedar park. Unfortunately, its destined to happen. The city of Austin will always stay true to her weird roots...roots that have grown into freaky little suburb stepchildren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City