Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:35 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times

Advertisements

First I want to add to what others have said already in that LA, San Diego, and Philly are already major cities. I think there is no debating that. IMO Seattle and Minneapolis are also major cities for that matter.

I see Phoenix, Las Vegas, Charlotte, Austin, Raleigh, Orlando, Tampa, Milwaukee, Nashville, Louisville, KC, St. Louis, and Portland to join that lists. Phoenix is the sleeper of the larger cities because it already huge but I don't hear too much about innovation that is going on. I think that same lack plagues my home city of Charlotte. The problem with Charlotte is that it is trying to copy other cities instead of becoming its own. But that is another topic. This innovation is what makes cities like Austin, Raleigh, and Portland so neat. I have heard of Milwaukee doing some new work to make itself better so that's cool.

All in all, I still feel my home city of Charlotte will emerge as a major city in the ranks of our bigger sibling Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 09:40 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post

All in all, I still feel my home city of Charlotte will emerge as a major city in the ranks of our bigger sibling Atlanta.
The ranks of Atlanta? Yeah, and I hear our budget deficit will be flat by end of fiscal year.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:52 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
The ranks of Atlanta? Yeah, and I hear our budget deficit will be flat by end of fiscal year.
I love your optimism. Lol. I also never put a timeline.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
I think there is a lot of confusion in this thread in regards to:

a) whether by "major city" we are talking about on a global or national scale.
and b) what exactly a major city is.

I think on a global scale, America's only real "major" cities are New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington, and to a lesser extent San Francisco, Boston, and Miami. So if we're discussing what U.S. cities will eventually become major on a global scale, I'd say perhaps Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Philadelphia.

On a national scale, there are tons of major cities at least in my definition of major. I personally consider Charlotte and Austin to be major, but clearly I may be in the minority. I would say Albuquerque and perhaps some southern cities are on the way to becoming prominent.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I think Omaha is already a major city in its own right. It has nearly 440,000 in the city alone (almost 1 million in the metro!!!) I'd easily rank Omaha right up there with Kansas City, Louisville, and even St. Louis. I don't know why this wonderful city is not mentioned much. It is certainly a hidden gem in America's heartland.

I'd say Ohama will be a "true" major US city in 5 years tops!!!
You better switch bait. I don't like that kind.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:05 PM

229 posts, read 520,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
First I want to add to what others have said already in that LA, San Diego, and Philly are already major cities. I think there is no debating that. IMO Seattle and Minneapolis are also major cities for that matter.

I see Phoenix, Las Vegas, Charlotte, Austin, Raleigh, Orlando, Tampa, Milwaukee, Nashville, Louisville, KC, St. Louis, and Portland to join that lists. Phoenix is the sleeper of the larger cities because it already huge but I don't hear too much about innovation that is going on. I think that same lack plagues my home city of Charlotte. The problem with Charlotte is that it is trying to copy other cities instead of becoming its own. But that is another topic. This innovation is what makes cities like Austin, Raleigh, and Portland so neat. I have heard of Milwaukee doing some new work to make itself better so that's cool.

Phoenix is already a major city. Raleigh and Louisville, I think are a lot further behind the others. Tampa will most likely reach major status first.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:12 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Quote:
I think Omaha is already a major city in its own right. It has nearly 440,000 in the city alone (almost 1 million in the metro!!!) I'd easily rank Omaha right up there with Kansas City, Louisville, and even St. Louis. I don't know why this wonderful city is not mentioned much. It is certainly a hidden gem in America's heartland.

I'd say Ohama will be a "true" major US city in 5 years tops!!!
Why do you put them in the same category? Kansas city metro = 2 million. St. Louis metro = 2.8 million. Omaha metro = 800,000. In no way, shape, or form is Omaha a major city. It's more on par with Boise, ID.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Why do you put them in the same category? Kansas city metro = 2 million. St. Louis metro = 2.8 million. Omaha metro = 800,000. In no way, shape, or form is Omaha a major city. It's more on par with Boise, ID.
Lol, disregard his post, I've turned him into a troll.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:21 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
Quote:
i am shocked!!! What do you have against omaha? Omg!!!!!!!!! Boise, id. Are you freaking kidding me?

You obviously haven't been to omaha lately.
lololololololol

Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I think there is a lot of confusion in this thread in regards to:

a) whether by "major city" we are talking about on a global or national scale.
and b) what exactly a major city is.

I think on a global scale, America's only real "major" cities are New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington, and to a lesser extent San Francisco, Boston, and Miami. So if we're discussing what U.S. cities will eventually become major on a global scale, I'd say perhaps Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Philadelphia.

On a national scale, there are tons of major cities at least in my definition of major. I personally consider Charlotte and Austin to be major, but clearly I may be in the minority. I would say Albuquerque and perhaps some southern cities are on the way to becoming prominent.
Yet these four cities have a higher GDP than Miami. Houston being considered energy capital of the world and Atlanta being home to the busiest airport in the country?

What is your logic behind this nonsense. SF is nothing without San Jose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City