Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:56 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
Definitely Austin, Texas. 20 years ago that place wasn't even really on the map.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It's still not a major city.
But it's turning into one.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:07 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times
San Antonio is already a major city and one of the fastest growing cities in the USA. Let's us not forget about NOLA which is a couple players away from returning. Also add Phoenix to the mix

Old 07-09-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
Glad somebody agrees! And I think Charlotte clearly fits the criteria posed by the question of this thread.

But I still stick with Austin, TX, as perhaps the best example. 20 years ago the place was not a major player in any regard outside of Texas. And today, it is evolving into a major city quite rapidly. It is progressive, highly educated, very livable, booming in population, full of things to do, and rising exponentially in economic importance. The title of this thread isn't "What are the current major cities in America" - it it what cities are EVOLVING into major cities. I never tried to suggest that Austin was currently a "major city". So, people from the Northeast enjoying your 300-year old "culture filled" cities...relax .
Exactly. People get SO offended at the mention of OTHER cities. Austin is becoming a BEAST. I live i NC now, and I used to live in Austin 8yrs, and I just got back yesterday, after not being there for 5yrs. It has REALLY changed. It is REALLY becoming a major city, especially with all the new super highways, and the new commuter rail that's about to open. Austin is truly underrated. You add all that with all the nature and hills and outdoor activity, and you got one bright city. It's one of the few cities with NO pro sprots teams that can go toe to toe with MANY other larger cities with pro sports teams. One thing I noticed is all the palm trees out there being planted. I don't recall seeing all these palm trees in Austin when I lived there. They look nice in Austin. To my eyes at least.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:57 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yet these four cities have a higher GDP than Miami. Houston being considered energy capital of the world and Atlanta being home to the busiest airport in the country?

What is your logic behind this nonsense. SF is nothing without San Jose.
It's what most other international rankings say. Honestly though, the only concrete ones are the top 4 (NYC, LA, Chicago, DC). The rest are pretty interchangeable.

Foreign Policy: The 2008 Global Cities Index

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2008

Old 07-10-2009, 08:42 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
San Antonio is already a major city and one of the fastest growing cities in the USA. Let's us not forget about NOLA which is a couple players away from returning. Also add Phoenix to the mix
True, I think we just get confused with world-class and major city. Def. major city but pretty much all the major cities are not world-class...yet. SA and Phoenix will work on that.(Don't get me wrong, great cities, but not on NY or LA level...yet. You never know...) You're right though, major cities.

But I am def. sticking with Austin as BEAST! LOL It certainly is changing.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:02 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
It's what most other international rankings say. Honestly though, the only concrete ones are the top 4 (NYC, LA, Chicago, DC). The rest are pretty interchangeable.

Well you forgot Atlanta, because according to your link. It's on the same level as Los Angeles....

Old 07-10-2009, 10:57 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post

I find this part interesting from the first link.

Lifestyle Centers
What they look like: Laid-back cities that enjoy a high quality of life and focus on having fun. They attract worldly people and offer cultural experiences to spare.
Who they are: Los Angeles (#6), Toronto (#10)

Everyone is so caught up with saying that cities aren't world-class because they are too laid-back and such, not that having big businesses doesn't matter, but it redefines what we think is your typical global city. Very interesting. (I'm talking in general by the way, not a direct comment towards anyone.)

Old 07-29-2009, 12:19 PM

103 posts, read 301,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I consider Mid-Size Metro's area's as the new Major American Cities
and "mis-size" is 2 Million to 4 Million , so Pittsburgh , Kansas City , St.
Louis , Denver , Seattle , Portland , Minneapolis St. Paul , Sacramento ,
Cleveland , Tampa St. Peterburg , Charlotte....Austin Tx....
Great Post. I agree the mid-size urban centers are the ones. I see Denver getting there first they have maintained a steady economy, have diverse communities, and the most sports teams. I think Pittsburgh is too conservative and lacks ethnic/social diversity but it will get there next. I love Minneapolis and Seattle but the job market is tanking at a alarming rate while Denver and Pittsburgh are staying more steady. Seattle is more expensive than any of the others mentioned. In order Denver, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, and Seattle.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:22 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,828,520 times
Charlotte, and Kansas City for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City