Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM

259 posts, read 454,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Laughable? A downtown that is more walkable than most, has dozens of restaurants and nightlife locales, and seems to be doing a good job of growing is laughable? Not everyone likes gentrified old buildings with 'character'. Personally, I like new buildings and new storefronts.

Does "character" mean rat problems like most older cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 12:40 PM

103 posts, read 301,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
First I want to add to what others have said already in that LA, San Diego, and Philly are already major cities. I think there is no debating that. IMO Seattle and Minneapolis are also major cities for that matter.

I see Phoenix, Las Vegas, Charlotte, Austin, Raleigh, Orlando, Tampa, Milwaukee, Nashville, Louisville, KC, St. Louis, and Portland to join that lists. Phoenix is the sleeper of the larger cities because it already huge but I don't hear too much about innovation that is going on. I think that same lack plagues my home city of Charlotte. The problem with Charlotte is that it is trying to copy other cities instead of becoming its own. But that is another topic. This innovation is what makes cities like Austin, Raleigh, and Portland so neat. I have heard of Milwaukee doing some new work to make itself better so that's cool.
All in all, I still feel my home city of Charlotte will emerge as a major city in the ranks of our bigger sibling Atlanta.
I agree Charlotte is trying to copy Atlanta and is not innovative. Same for Phoenix I lived recently in both and don't like either. I think Austin has a long way to go in developing a strong pro sports market which is what it needs to be taken more seriously than a liberal city in TEXAS with a great party scene and a few jobs. I like Denver and Pittsburgh for reinnovation.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 PM

259 posts, read 454,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknotion View Post
I agree Charlotte is trying to copy Atlanta and is not innovative. Same for Phoenix I lived recently in both and don't like either. I think Austin has a long way to go in developing a strong pro sports market which is what it needs to be taken more seriously than a liberal city in TEXAS with a great party scene and a few jobs. I like Denver and Pittsburgh for reinnovation.

Copying Atlanta? How, are the women fat, sweaty and excessively materialistic for no reason at all?

Old 07-29-2009, 01:30 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,438 times
What about Sacramento? It has grown very fast and now has a metro area of about 2.2 million. Unfortunately most of its growth has been sprawl, but the midtown/downtown areas have really improved and are continuing to do so. Also, there arent really any fortune 500 companies, but we are the head of the giant state of California. We have a decent airport, a major railroad hub, decent public transportation, a top notch university(UCD), pro sports(though I dont know for how long, maybe the A's will move here), a ton of diversity(supposedly we're one of the most diverse cities in the world), and are close to so many world class destinations.

Also Las Vegas. It already has international recognition, and it is growing so fast. It is definitely turning into a major city. Rather than just an adult playground.

Last edited by bigdave01; 07-29-2009 at 02:32 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 02:56 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,690,477 times
How can Charlotte, NC be considered a major city before Tampa, FL? Yeah Charlottes population is 716k compared to Tampas 340k, but look at Charlottes land area comapred to Tampas. Charlotte: 280 sq miles, Tampa: 112 sq miles. Plus Charlottes metro population is only 2 million, compared to Tampas metro population of 4 million. Tampa aslo has more of an urban core than Charlotte. In all seriousness, can someone explain to me how charolette is more of a major city, cause i really dont understand how it could be.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:00 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,341,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
How can Charlotte, NC be considered a major city before Tampa, FL? Yeah Charlottes population is 716k compared to Tampas 340k, but look at Charlottes land area comapred to Tampas. Charlotte: 280 sq miles, Tampa: 170 sq miles. Plus Charlottes metro population is only 2 million, compared to Tampas metro population of 4 million. Tampa aslo has more of an urban core than Charlotte. In all seriousness, can someone explain to me how charolette is more of a major city, cause i really dont understand how it could be.
Maybe because Tampa has 2 fortune 500 companies and Charlotte has 9?

Old 07-29-2009, 03:01 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
I'd say Austin.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:04 PM

226 posts, read 646,015 times
Miami, Atlanta, Sacramento CA, Austin, Phoenix, Las Vegas

Old 07-29-2009, 03:10 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknotion View Post
How can Charlotte copy Atlanta? Last time I checked, Charlotte was significantly larger than Atlanta in both land area and population. Charlotte also has a light-rail system that Atlanta doesn't have.

Charlotte was incorporated in 1768, Atlanta in 1847. How does on an older city copy a younger city?

Phoenix is not copying Atlanta. Phoenix has 4 times as many people as Atlanta. If anything, Phoenix is copying Los Angeles.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:35 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,297 times
Because Atlanta has a much bigger central business district due to its large metro population? And MARTA with 4 lines and built in the 70s, is a much more comprehensive and efficient subway system than Charlotte's one line, newly constructed light rail? And before 2007, Charlotte does not have any form of rapid transit options? Technically light rail is not qualified as rapid transit either but is as close as it can be.

I don't think Charlotte is exactly copying Atlanta, but it is always amusing to me that cities like Charlotte who is having their first new light rail line in 2007 immediately think they are better than Atlanta in terms of rapid transit. It happens in Minneapolis as well. So funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
How can Charlotte copy Atlanta? Last time I checked, Charlotte was significantly larger than Atlanta in both land area and population. Charlotte also has a light-rail system that Atlanta doesn't have.

Charlotte was incorporated in 1768, Atlanta in 1847. How does on an older city copy a younger city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City