Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:58 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times

Advertisements

I'm going to do two cities in Orange County, CA

Santa Ana, CA (population 339,555: in Orange County, south of L.A. for those unfamiliar)

1. It is the 4th most densely populated city in the USA with a population greater than 250,000, coming after Chicago and before Boston.

2. Santa Ana shares a name with the infamous "Santa Ana Winds" in Southern California that are a harsh dry wind that fuel wild fires in the region.

3. In 1906 the Pacific Red Railway was extended to Santa Ana to link the city to downtown Los Angeles 33 miles away.

4. Glenn L. Martin Aviation Company began in 1912 in Santa Ana. In 1961 it merged to form Martin Marietta with American Marietta Corp which merged with Lockheed Corp in 1995 to form Lockheed Martin.

5. Santa Ana's property occupation density is 4.6 per housing unit, the highest of any American city over 50,000. (By contrast, New York's is 2.8, and Los Angeles's density is 2.6 persons per housing unit.)

6. Santa Ana is 80% Hispanic (of which 74% are Mexican) making it one of (if not the most) Hispanic city in the country with a decent size population.

7. Santa Ana is one of only a few cities in Orange County where Democrats outnumber Republicans.

8. 34.2% of Santa Ana is under 18 years old.

9. The median age is only 26.2 years old.

10. Ingram Micro, a Fortune 100 company, is headquartered in Santa Ana.

Huntington Beach, CA (population 189,594 and 34 miles south of Los Angeles)

1. Huntington Beach went through a series of name changes after being a Spanish rancho including Shell Beach, Smetlzer, Gospel Swamp, Fairview, and Pacific City. The city finally became named after Henry Huntington who owned the Los Angeles Railway Yellow Cars in return for a line to be extended to the city to promote tourism.

2. The projection screens and televisions in the 600+ Hollister stores in the USA are live feed of the pier at Huntington Beach.

3. SURF CITY USA is a registered trademark of the city of Huntington Beach.

4. The city's beaches are the site of the U.S. Open of Surfing to qualify for the ASP World Tour.

5. Huntington Beach is a host city of the National Professional Paintball League Super 7 Paintball Championships

6. HB was settled first in 1784 under a Spanish land grant to Manuel Nieto thanking him for his service forming Rancho Nieto.

7. Huntington Beach has an off-shore oil terminus for the tankers that support the Alaska Pipeline

8. Sea Launch, a company operating a platform and ship to launch 26 communications satellites for governments and companies like DIRECTV is based out of Huntington Beach.

9. The city was featured in the TruTV series Ocean Force: Huntington Beach. Also, the city is mentioned in the Beach Boys song Surfin' Safari and in Surfer Joe by The Surfaris.

10. The punk rock band The Offspring was formed here in HB in 1984.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 11:29 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times
I did a web search for some of these. Lots of these I didn't know.

1. Frito Lay Inc was formed in San Antonio.
2. The Birthplace of the U.S. military.
3. The First Air Conditioned Skyscraper and Hotel. St. Anthony Intercontinental, The Milam.
4. Southwest Airlines first flight was from San Antonio to Dallas. Formed by a San Antonio and Dallas business men.
5. Home to the oldest Cathederal in America and second oldest public park.
6. Joan Crawford aka Mommie Dearest born in San Antonio
7. Shaq O'neil discovered in San Antonio-Cole High School
8. The largest office building in the world, USAA now bigger than the Pentagon. 7 million contigious sq feet. Bigger than the Pentagon.
9. San Antonio attracts over 26 million visitors per year.
10. Mt. Rushmore was designed in San Antonio.
11. Third largest zoo in the U.S. with over 3,500 animals. the San Antonio Zoo also shelters more than 230 endangered species.
12. The San Antonio River is 240 miles long.
13. San Antonio was founded over 300 years ago during a Spanish expedition.
14. Theodore Roosevelt formed the Rough Riders Calvary in San Antonio in 1898.
15. San Antonio freeways system covers over 3,100 miles of freeway. Making it one of the largest in the nation.
16. San Antonio second to New York in total employees in the Insurance and Finance industry.
17. San Antonio home to the largest oil company in North America. Valero Energy.
18. San Antonio was home to the largest airplane hanger in the world. Boeing plant at Port San Antonio.
19. San Antonio is the only city in the United States hosting three Level I Trauma centers.
20. San Antonio is home to the first Musuem of Modern art in Texas, the Mc Nay. San Antonio Musuem of Art houses the largest Asian art collection in the Southwestern United States. San Antonio home to the first Smithsonian outside Washington D.C.

21. "It ain't over til the fat lady sings orginated in San Antonio." Dan Cook, Sports writer/TV reporter.
22. Home to the largest MLK parade in the U.S. over 100,000.
23. Alex Haley's, the novel Roots was written at his apt on the Riverwalk.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 07-08-2009 at 11:51 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,232 times
Albuquerque

1. Was founded in 1706.
2. Original name was La Villa de Alburquerque.
3. Incorporated in 1890.
4. Nicknamed the "Duke City".
5. New Mexico's Largest City.
6. America's 6th Fastest growing.
7. Isotopes is the name of the AA Baseball team.
8. Fittest city in america.
9. Our Interantional Airport is a "Sunport".
10. Dion's Pizza has a pizza called the "Duke City" with green chile.
11. Home to Sandia National Labs
12. The Balloon Capital of thee world (900+ballons).
13. 60% of Americans do not know how to spell "Albuquerque"
14. In 1955 Albuquerque jumped into the Top 50 largest as America's 40th
15. Americas 33rd Largest City

Old 07-09-2009, 12:50 AM

902 posts, read 2,786,430 times
[quote=missionhome;9671906]I'm going to do two cities in Orange County, CA

Santa Ana, CA (population 339,555: in Orange County, south of L.A. for those unfamiliar)

1. It is the 4th most densely populated city in the USA with a population greater than 250,000, coming after Chicago and before Boston.

Don't mean to bust your bubble but no it is not.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,320,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Hip Hop? obviously. no question. A truly South Bronx/Harlem institution and a genuine thank you to New York for making the sound of my generation.

Punk? INCREDIBLY debatable. Bands like the Stooges and MC5 were coming out of Detroit in the late 60s. Even earlier, garage bands from across the US and England influenced what we call punk. Check out Psychedelic Reaction by Count Five, written in 1966 in California and pretty punk sounding. Although I think this song has a legitimate claim as the first punk song I would say the "birthplace" of punk is a claim deserved by Detroit for having MC5 and the Stooges who are 2 of the first real punk bands.

I know this is off topic but I just had to chime in.

As far as the OP goes, I will brainstorm some gems for Boston and get back to you all.

EDIT: I just was researching a little and found out that the first time "punk rock" was used was to describe ? and the Mysterians, another Michigan band. Their hit song 96 tears isn't what we typically think of as punk now but it was still the first time the term was ever used.
I didn't know that, thats not my taste in music, I was just going off of what wikipedia said.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:12 AM

1) Denim jeans were created in San Francisco for the Gold Rush workers who need tough, durable, and comfortable clothing.
2) Irish Coffee was invented in San Francisco.
3) San Francisco has the highest per capita homeless rate of any city in America.
4) Francis Ford Coppola famously wrote large portions of The Godfather Trilogy in Caffe Trieste, the first San Francisco coffee shop established in 1956.
5) San Francisco has the world's fourth highest number of billionaires living within the city behind New York, London, and Moscow. All this while having less than 10% of these other cities populations.
6) San Francisco Bay is considered the world's largest landlocked harbor.
7) San Francisco was originally called Yerba Buena which in spanish means "good herb" or "good grass" I find this ironic.
8) There are more medicinal marijuana clinics in San Francisco than there are starbucks. There are an estimated 98 pot clubs and 71 starbucks.

And here is an interesting one about Oakland that I came across.

Oakland produces more sourdough bread than any other city in the world

Old 07-09-2009, 01:15 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,918,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
1) Denim jeans were created in San Francisco for the Gold Rush workers who need tough, durable, and comfortable clothing.
2) Irish Coffee was invented in San Francisco.
3) San Francisco has the highest per capita homeless rate of any city in America.
4) Francis Ford Coppola famously wrote large portions of The Godfather Trilogy in Caffe Trieste, the first San Francisco coffee shop established in 1956.
5) San Francisco has the world's fourth highest number of billionaires living within the city behind New York, London, and Moscow. All this while having less than 10% of these other cities populations.
6) San Francisco Bay is considered the world's largest landlocked harbor.
7) San Francisco was originally called Yerba Buena which in spanish means "good herb" or "good grass" I find this ironic.
8) There are more medicinal marijuana clinics in San Francisco than there are starbucks. There are an estimated 98 pot clubs and 71 starbucks.
What do you mean land-locked? The bay is connected to the ocean...

Old 07-09-2009, 01:26 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Fort Worth

1. A major stop for the Chisholm Trail
2. Home to American Airlines HQ.
3. Area in downtown used to be known as "Hell's Half Acre", where Butch Cassidy, the Sundance Kid, and several other outlaws hung out.
4. That same area was redeveloped in the late 80's - early 90's and renamed Sundance Square, after the Sundance Kid.
5. Home to the Texas Motor Speedway, featuring two Sprint Cup Races.
6. Tornado ripped through the heart of Downtown on March 28, 2000.
7. Resulting from that same tornado, one of the tallest buildings in the city, the Landmark Tower, was torn down due to damages.... but the former Bank One Building (set for the same fate) was converted into condos and appartments.
8. Known as "Panther City" because of a Dallas Morning News article saying that Fort Worth was so boring, you could see a panther sleeping right in the middle of Main Street.
9. The city sits right on top of Barnett Shale, which produces natural gas.
10. The city's architecture consists of Beaux Arts and Art Deco.
11. The Tarrant County Courthouse (the city's main landmark) was modeled after the Texas State Capitol and sits on a bluff.
12. Fort Worth is one of the largest cities in America without a major sports team.
13. Is home to one of the largest Cultural Districts in America, featuring the Kimball Art Museum, Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth Modern, and National Cowgirl Hall of Fame
14. It's home to the Bass Performance Hall, which is designed from a European opera house and is known as "The Crown Jewel of Downtown Fort Worth".
15. It's home to Lockheed Martin, Bell Helicopter, Dickies, Radio Shack, D. R. Horton, and Best Maid Pickles.
16. Hosts the Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl ever New Years Eve.
17. Home to the first American Idol, Kelly Clarkson (Burleson).
18. Known as one of America's Most Livable Communities in 2006.
19. Known as "The City Where the West Began/Begins"
20. It's the 17th largest city in America and 9th safest city with a population of over 500,000.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
What do you mean land-locked? The bay is connected to the ocean...
I found that one on the internet, but if you look at the bay yes it is connected to the pacific, but it is damn near landlocked.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:01 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,087,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Hip Hop? obviously. no question. A truly South Bronx/Harlem institution and a genuine thank you to New York for making the sound of my generation.

Punk? INCREDIBLY debatable. Bands like the Stooges and MC5 were coming out of Detroit in the late 60s. Even earlier, garage bands from across the US and England influenced what we call punk. Check out Psychedelic Reaction by Count Five, written in 1966 in California and pretty punk sounding. Although I think this song has a legitimate claim as the first punk song I would say the "birthplace" of punk is a claim deserved by Detroit for having MC5 and the Stooges who are 2 of the first real punk bands.

I know this is off topic but I just had to chime in.

As far as the OP goes, I will brainstorm some gems for Boston and get back to you all.

EDIT: I just was researching a little and found out that the first time "punk rock" was used was to describe ? and the Mysterians, another Michigan band. Their hit song 96 tears isn't what we typically think of as punk now but it was still the first time the term was ever used.
Wasnt the ramones/new york dolls,lower eastside and cbgb's the most important ingredients to punk? All new york
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City