U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 03:14 PM

109 posts, read 381,871 times

Advertisements

Hey there!

I'm very curious about places you may have visited or lived in, where you felt you could relax and be yourself without Big Brother breathing heavily over your shoulder.
I'm not talking about drinking, drugs, hunting or even politics here; I'm just asking if you've been somewhere where you felt a live-and-let-live vibe pretty much dominated.
(You know, like a place where you could go rollerblading at two in the morning and not be questioned by the local police, asking monosyllabic questions and talking r-e-al-s-l-o-w-l-i-k-e because they're making false assumptions that you've either been drinking or have the brain of a flatworm?)
Any input, stories and colorful anecdotes would be much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 05:52 PM

379 posts, read 1,253,574 times
Yes, I think Providence has a live and let live vibe in a natural, understated way.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasurf View Post
Yes, I think Providence has a live and let live vibe in a natural, understated way.
Hi, Terrasurf,
Thanks for the input.
I've been meaning to check out Providence, since I'm not that far away.
I will be returning to school in North Dartmouth, MA in the fall, which puts me even closer, even though I will be commuting from the Cape.
I've heard and read some great things about Providence.
I hope to be working with the Portuguese population, and I know that, as with the Cape Cod area, there are many Portuguese-speaking people in Providence.
Once again, thanks!

Old 07-12-2009, 08:45 PM

157 posts, read 359,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farouche View Post
Hey there!

I'm very curious about places you may have visited or lived in, where you felt you could relax and be yourself without Big Brother breathing heavily over your shoulder.
I'm not talking about drinking, drugs, hunting or even politics here; I'm just asking if you've been somewhere where you felt a live-and-let-live vibe pretty much dominated.
(You know, like a place where you could go rollerblading at two in the morning and not be questioned by the local police, asking monosyllabic questions and talking r-e-al-s-l-o-w-l-i-k-e because they're making false assumptions that you've either been drinking or have the brain of a flatworm?)
Any input, stories and colorful anecdotes would be much appreciated!
Key West, FL. That theme of "being yourself" is actually an explicitly-stated goal of their tourism program, and it is fairly well-known as a place with a very laissez-faire vibe, on everything from clothing to sexual mores to drinking regulation.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:48 PM

Thanks for replying, Loillon892!
I've always been curious about Key West and have only gotten as far as the Everglades.
I know I'd like the architecture and the tropical ambience there, but the main thing that has deterred me from Key West is the possibility of hurricanes.
Should any major storm be headed for the Keys, I'm afraid nobody would be able to get away, since there is only one looooong highway off the island!

Old 07-12-2009, 09:49 PM

9,188 posts, read 31,282,822 times
You're comparing cities/places to one another so this belongs in the city vs city room. Moving.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:53 PM

157 posts, read 359,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farouche View Post
Thanks for replying, Loillon892!
I've always been curious about Key West and have only gotten as far as the Everglades.
I know I'd like the architecture and the tropical ambience there, but the main thing that has deterred me from Key West is the possibility of hurricanes.
Should any major storm be headed for the Keys, I'm afraid nobody would be able to get away, since there is only one looooong highway off the island!
No problem The hurricane risk and cost of living relative to wages are the two big factors that keep lots of people away from the Keys. And yes, driving down to Key West from Miami on a Saturday morning can be stressful enough with the traffic on US1, so I could only imagine what a major hurricane evacuation from that region would be like .

Old 07-12-2009, 11:02 PM

4,037 posts, read 9,412,370 times
"Big Brother" meaning the government or the neighbors?

It's almost impossible to shock, or even get a reaction out of a New Yorker. No one is too weird in New York. New Orleans is the same. Some parts of San Francisco too.

I love running into the kind of people that Lou Reed writes songs about. It's what give the city character.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:09 PM

35 posts, read 61,253 times
New York.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:53 PM

Smile I Love New York!

tpk-nyc and EU20,

Thanks for your replies!
(tpk-nyc, by "Big Brother" I meant both the government and your neighbors).
Yes, I love NYC, too!
I would live there if I could afford it.
My teenage son just got back from a school trip to NYC, and being the city boy that he is at heart, fell in love with it.
My parents are both from upstate New York, and I spent a bit of time there as well, but that is a whole other world, isn't it?
I was born on Long Island Sound, so my earliest memories are of Connecticut and NYC, before we moved to Cambridge, MA and then the South Shore.
I lived for some time in San Francisco (back when the Grateful Dead sang in the Park and a hippie bus wasn't considered nostalgic).
Having hitchhiked out there at age 17, alone with $175.00 in my pocket, I expected to find myself in an exciting, upbeat city with nightlife to burn.
Everything shut down around 11:00 PM, so eventually I got bored and came home, via NYC and the infamous Grey Rabbit, which broke down nine times on the way and was abandoned by the green fields of Pennsylvania.
We few remaining passengers waved goodbye to our bus, shrinking in the distance, from the open end of a U-Haul van, from which we disembarked in NYC.
Most of the passengers on that bus were from NYC, and I made more friends in the eight or nine days of this Kafkaesque journey than I had in the year and more I had lived in San Francisco!
From my lengthy talks with my fellow passengers, I discovered that I should have gone to NYC, not San Francisco.
It had all the excitement that I had been looking for in California, and those New Yorkers were my kind of people.
I absolutely loved San Francisco, but then it was not a city tailored for night owls (nor did it always appreciate my northeastern sense of black humor).
Things have probably changed quite a bit, I would imagine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City